2018 Nebelhorn Trophy: Thoughts and Highlights? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Nebelhorn Trophy: Thoughts and Highlights?

LaArdilla

Medalist
Quite trivial highllights:

- the lady announcer, her beautiful voice and very good English! It was lovely to listen to, especially after last weeks's ACI
- the bench in Kiss&Cry! It had such a "mountain village" feel to it :D
- Obersdorf in general looks like such a gorgeous place, I wonder why all the skaters are not trying to catch this Challenger and spend there a few days

Real highlights:

-the ladies competition: I hate the choreo in Alina's programs, but when she's on, she is a wonder to watch. I haven't seen the gala yet, but must do it ASAP, everybody here seems to love it! Loena was on fire, and Mariah Bell looked really good this early in the season.

-I liked the beginning of the Knierims' SP. Cool costumes too. And so great to see Aljona with them at K&C!

-right now Piper and Paul's tango is my favourite one. The FD is awesome as well. They seem increadibly well-prepared for this season and have two great vehicles.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I would disagree. I love their RD, but the FD looked a bit like they are trying to be P/C, except they are not P/C. It also lacks a bit of the build up and power that Fix You (Shibs) had, so dunno.

For me, the exact opposite of 'trying to be P/C', the whole concept btw of such thing is for me overblown and a bit trivial - they are not the first team to present classical/contemporary stuff, it is more about how they (or any other team) adapt it, translate into movement aesthetic, ways of expression, style of elements.

First, the concept versus its execution/interpretation - Piper and Paul are rather known for strong individuality in choosing their programs, balancing on this thin line of quirk, originality being too much or too in-your-face, this is no exception except how they treated the theme, music this time around: with more subtlety, deliberation and lyrical spin than forcefulness. Them putting their shoes into such way of interpretation (yet still with quite significant reference to Van Gogh, artist portrait, the muse figure, relation between the two) that was used more by other teams up to this moment and not explored much by them should not automatically associate it with 'trying' to be someone (which gives me a good laugh, seeing Piper and Paul as one of the most original teams out there with such strong sense of individualism).

Second, choreography, the design of movement versus how it reflects on the theme - like I already wrote in Nebelhorn FD thread, I see their movement in both dances based rather on 'dialogue' style, reaction and impulses sent by one to another, lots of moves, transitions, partnering with facing each other, not being 'in line', following each other, emphasis put on individual movement complimenting each other in its variety, nuance rather than moving together in the same vein and style; still, with lots of fluidity, free-flowing energy between them, paying a lot of attention to the music in sense of feeling out both lyrical and rhythmical highs and lows in it by movement, gesture and level of expressiveness. This' irregularity' for me perfectly matches Van Gogh's theme, his art, this 'swirling' effect of 'Starry Night' and is the opposite of rather harmonious, steady flow-like cintemporary/classic type of programs in Ice Dance.

And third, the sole choice versus their repetoire - despite a bit more subtle, subdued and lyrical FD in first glance appearance this time, the choice of theme, the music was still a challenge to them and another change to their aesthetic (which seems to be explored every season in different direction). I see it as their most personal program to date and one that has potential to evolve the most throughout the season due to its 'non-obvious' quality for Piper and Paul and addition of more personal component in their interpretation.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
- Alina Zagitova killing it. No, puberty didn't kill her jumps, no, she's not disappearing from skating after winning OG. If you have more questions - she has gala program for you.
And what a beautiful young lady she has become

:rofl:

"I'm a survivor. I'm not gon' give up
I'm not gon' stop, I'm gon' work harder
I'm a survivor, I'm gonna make it
I will survive, keep on survivin' ! "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtEOR_QKIN0

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I rather enjoyed this competetition. The ladies event was superb (and I'm not talking only about Loena here of whom I'm becoming a greater fan month by month) with many lovely skates, Mariah was excellent at the gala (I know, not part of the competition, but wonderful all the same) and - I suppose people will disagree with me on this - she reminded me a lot of Sasha in her prime, though with somewhat less flexibility. Keegan stole my heart in the FS and even more so at the Gala; what a performer and those SS are just wonderful to watch. I couldn't help liking some of the show programmes better than the actual competitive ones. Alina for example with a lovely exhibition and a beautiful jacket (couldn't help liking that), but also the Knierims who had a great short but their FS was somewhat messy. Their show programme is fabulous though.

Going to the men's, I already mentioned Keegan but Alexander M. also is a joy to watch, and he seems to be such a nice guy too. What about Artur? Well the triple lutz-triple flip combination in his short was unexpected, something new and just striking, but I liked him best at the gala. Then he could show some musicality and that he's not all jumps. The pairs competition was not the best ever, but still. I already mentioned the Knierims, but Stellato/Bartholomay had a good competition too. And aren't the Russians lucky? Another great pair in the making, who had a well deserved win. Dance was great too. It's good to see Piper and Paul having success, seeing the Parsons siblings stepping up even if not there yet, while Christina and Anthony are breathing down their backs. American dance is so competitive! Last but not least: seeing Aljona and Bruno. First as coaches (and I imagine Bruno to be a very sympathetic coach while Aljona is ambituous for her pair out of a genuine wish to help them get better), then as awarders of medals - that was fun - and lastly their incredible show number which was something completely new.

Lots of laughs too, Keegan hitting the boards in his show number on purpose, Alexa stepping onto the top of the podium and getting the giggles because that was not her place, and even Bruno and Aljona repeating the missed throw at the very end. Twice.

Of course, it's early in the season, so not everyone is at their best yet. But seeing Alina proving she's not a one year fluke, Keegan doing well, Alexander doing a great programme (even if he fell), Loena improving yet again, Mai skating great and many others just doing a good job, was lovely.

Roo87

Medalist
I'm very happy for Keegan. I still kind of claim him since he used to skate for the US. I think he has backing and opportunity in Canada and he's representing the well.

Yes, it's unfortunate that Skate America didn't think he was worth the effort because he lived in Alaska. Their loss!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's always a highlight of a competition for me when I get surprised by skaters. Or "discover" some. So there were several highlights. 1. Audrey Lu and Misha. Okay, so I watched their skates from Salt Lake a couple of weeks ago, and I came away admiring their crisp technique, but not really enjoying them. Now, I know to be watching Misha. He's American born, yes, coached by Russians, and he has the sort of Russian skating that I love. With the choreography and his demeanor, he's always presenting or showcasing her. And yet ... now I can't keep my eyes off him! It's the way he holds his head, skates big, expresses the music with his arms, and occasionally looks up. Then he'll smile, and I feel he's enjoying himself. Audrey smiles as she's coming off the ice, LOL and seems always tense. But she will get there, I hope. It's nice to see such a promising US pair just out of juniors.

Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier. Sometimes a skater or a team will step up, at just the right time. I think this is Piper and Paul's time, and they have two spectacular programs. Their RD is such a different mood from other tangos, and the music is really out of the box. And their FD is to die for. The way they portray a Van Gogh painting, to the song of the same name, and suggest the painting with their swirling, circular moves. ... It's not the first time this team has created and executed the unexpected and completely original, and this is simply breathtaking. So. Much. Beauty and Passion.

To speak of the rest of the dance medalists is a joy. I love Christina and Anthony's maturing style. Their FD, particularly, shows them playing off each other. Anthony skates with a push, powerful with the music, while Christina is all flow, grace, fluidity. In the Clair de Lune parts, they show the gentler emotion. There's something about them as they skate together that has a wildness about it and passion. I love their ending pose ... I'd like to see them hold it longer. They should watch how Piper and Paul hold their ending ... they know how to prolong the moment to perfection! I think Rachel and Michael Parsons have also evolved since last year. He has charisma, and I saw more exciting dancing in these new programs.

The pairs medalists: first of all, I really enjoyed the younger Russian team's SP, noticing their refinement, extension, all those things that make Russian pairs great. Then they really deserved to win the gold on the basis of their FS. Alexa and Chris showed much complexity and moves developed in their work with Aljona. In my view, that's the right way round, to develop the changes in movement, style and purpose first. I'm sure they'll be working on improving the jumps; I'm hoping for good results on that front too. Deanna and Nate have wonderful unity of purpose while they're skating. Although I don't quite believe their bows to each other yet, they need to work on meaning them from the inside out. There was something in the middle that I thought ... even on second viewing ... was a failed lift. It can't have been that, the scores don't reflect it. But honestly, I found it disconcerting. I'm not crazy about the Whitney Houston, but I think their conviction makes it very workable. I've already heard too much tango music to be very excited about their SP, though.

The Ladies: I was impressed that the top five scorers in the SP all skated clean, no negative GOEs at all. That was cool. Mariah looks ready to make a statement this year; I'm hoping that her FS will show more of her personality as the season progresses. Mai Mihara is a joy; there is such sweetness and gentleness in her skating, and she skates from the heart. Loena from Belgium is wonderful; she's one of my favorite kind of skaters, who expresses emotion just with the way she moves her body; you know she cares about communicating the music. I see Alina's great elements, but the choreo is just too crowded for any real heart or meaning to come across to me. I think she'd be capable of it, but for now, to me, it is not being shown.

From the men's side, I love Keegan Messing to bits: his new SP perfectly expresses his charm, his humor, his desire to give something to the audience. I was surprised to see that he kept last year's FS, and its impact was dampened somewhat for me as a result. There's something extra about his quad jumps, I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but I like it. May it's just his infectious joy in doing them. I was glad to see him win this event! My other favorite here is probably Timothy Dolensky, and I'm also an Alexei K. fan. :)

lurkz2

On the Ice
Some highlights for me:

1. The high quality stream that made watching the competition a joy. A rarity in my part of the world where figure skating is not very popular.

2. The very competitive ladies field.

Alina had her technical brilliance but I enjoyed Loena and Mariah Bell the most. I was impressed by the increased technical difficulty in Loena's routine from last season where she was still doing triple-doubles. Mariah's jumps seemed more settled; guess she needed last season to absorb Raf's methods, to paraphrase what she said in the Jump On It camp. Mai deserved her silver but her programs were not that memorable to me. Marin Honda was beautiful but it seems like she will be a work in progress this season.

Before the competition, I had been most looking forward to the Knierims debut under coach Aljona but I was underwhelmed by their programs.

WhiteProphet

On the Ice
My highlights of the competition

- Stéphane Lambiel at the kiss and cry.

- Alina Zagitova. I'm not the biggest fan of Poto program, but I loved Carmen. Both costumes are gorgeous and the ex was very exciting to watch, it fits her perfectly.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Best memory without any shred of doubt Piper & Paul, both programmes, but in particular Starry Night!!!! That was wonderful. They seem to be doing the right thing to get them noticed as the next number one Canadian dance duo. With all their innovations and trying out stuff, they've definitely arrived. Way to go, I love you, guys!!! :gclap:

The FS programmes of all three Ladies medal winners were fantastic. I'm glad Alina could not only redeem herself, but underpinned the fact that she hasn't gone away. Nice one. It'll a be an interesting season here as well. I haven't watched the Gala vids yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

The Knierims have not yet benefited from S/M as much as I would have wanted to, but of course, I wholeheartedly congratulate Efimova/Korovin :clap:

Artur Dmitriev, not necessarily a fan, but wow, he impressed me there.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
I'm very happy for Keegan. I still kind of claim him since he used to skate for the US. I think he has backing and opportunity in Canada and he's representing the well.

I agree....i remember him competing at US Nationals, especially the "Incredible Hulk" FS in one of the years (i forget which year) which i thought was really great. Kinda sad he didn't advance up the ranks, but, I'm soooooooo happy for him that he's finding success in Canada. I'm rooting for him as he has an opportunity to become a world medal contender these next four years.

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
Mariah Bell fantastic SP!!!

I really want Mariah to shine as she truly has talent, but, sadly i think she will become one of those American skaters that just performs really good programs at the US Nationals only. I will root for her but I surely won't place any bets.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Edited: Shame on me for omitting this, but Fear and Gibson’s FD was also memorable for me — so refreshing and fun, and their delivery of it was outstanding!

I totally agree, so why so low on PCS? Can someone explain this to me, as I simply don't understand? Their Choreo/Composition of the program is top quality and their performance of it is fantastic, energetic, stylish with great Interpretation.Their Skating Skills are good, and Transitions, so I was very disappointed with their PCS.
It's definitely my favourite FD of the season I've seen. :hap10:

ETA: I mention this because the previous week at Nepela, their FD was 3rd in FD TES, but they lost out on PCS to a sloppily performed FD by a Russian couple (Popova/Mozgov), so Fear/Gibson were 4th in FD, 5th Overall.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I totally agree, so why so low on PCS? Can someone explain this to me, as I simply don't understand? Their Choreo/Composition of the program is top quality and their performance of it is fantastic, energetic, stylish with great Interpretation.Their Skating Skills are good, and Transitions, so I was very disappointed with their PCS.
It's definitely my favourite FD of the season I've seen. :hap10:

ETA: I mention this because the previous week at Nepela, their FD was 3rd in FD TES, but they lost out on PCS to a sloppily performed FD by a Russian couple (Popova/Mozgov), so Fear/Gibson were 4th in FD, 5th Overall.

I stopped analysing PCS long time ago when it started to be rather subjective or 'politically correct' reflection of judges' like/taste:). But Lilah and Lewis' FD is a gem this season and it is good to see them improving their scores competition by competition, I saw it live at Nepela and fell in love, it sure was a podium performance for me!

Scott512

Record Breaker
So, the ladies event was the most interesting.
Zagitova: Glad to see her skate clean. Scores are jokes, but she started her season strongly. I call Daniil Gleikhengauz a technographer. Because i've never seen choreos being that technical. Just watch the choreo sequence in carmen. 1s spiral, 1s ina bauer, 1s spread eagle in an almost cantilever position, with all transitions that we can imagine between elements. There is clearly not any intention to create a moment. This is done for points. But at least it's a coherent program.
Mai was so lovelyyyyyyyy. Exactly the same error than her CS last season:laugh: Her SS deserved more recognition. Good season debut.
Loena want to make a splash this season and we see it. The girl is a star. She skates with all her body and soul. Finally a 3-3 and what a 3-3!
Marin FS is the most beautiful for me. The TES score is a bit harsh but i think she will improve during the season.

In men, the star was that 3lz-3F combo by Artur Dimitriev.

Gilles/Poirier RD is a jewel.

What do you mean by Alina scores were jokes? What you don't want her pushing 300 points by season's end? ;) I can remember when getting 200 points in total was a big deal and it wasn't that long ago. It all seriousness I was pleasantly surprised to see her score over 238 points in total in Germany. I don't know how many times she did that last year but probably not often maybe Europeans and Olympics.

cell

On the Ice
Quite trivial highllights:

- the lady announcer, her beautiful voice and very good English! It was lovely to listen to, especially after last weeks's ACI

It's the same lady that was the announcer at Worlds in Milano! I noticed right away :)

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Nathalie Weinzierl sp: great first combo! Those were huge jumps! The program itself is lovely, it’s easy be boring with that music, she avoided it. Good job!

Loena Hoendrickx both sp and fs: she was on fire, her sp might not be my cup of tea, but she sold it.

Marin Honda fs: i loved her hanfu inspired costume, the coreography was meant to remind that Zhang Zyi performed in the actual movie (wich happened to be one of my favourites a couple of years ago), brilliant.

Alina Zagitova: : she was great, her sp gave me headache the first time I listened to it, but now it’s starting growing on me. The costume’s beautiful, probably the best of the day.