2018 Nepela Trophy Men's Free Skate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Nepela Trophy Men's Free Skate

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
It was a bit difficult for me, as I also wanted to watch the competition in Canada, and the men's Free Skate was almost simultaneous. Sergei was a highlight for me, although I am a bit biased in his favour because I know only too well who choreographed that programme. And that makes it special. But Sergei executed it well too, albeit with some early season hiccups. Good for him, and I'm sure he will improve - and it already was looking good now. I also enjoyed watching Kolyada as he is more into this programme than last year's (and he got a Worlds bronze medal with that one), even if the music is a War Horse. It fits him (I know not everyone will agree on this). Now, onto the other forum for my thoughts on the top three there...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Currently on my way home. Very low battery and no charge option. Just wanted to thank You all for positive words towards live reports, I did as much as I could. Sergei's FS may not be the most sophisticated one, the most challenging, complicated, but it captivated me the most. This is for me a 'man's' skating, a bit rough and unkempt, but working with Sergei's strenghts, step sequence reminds me so much of Denis that it made me both happy and sąd at the same time: because Sergei lives up his legacy and because he cannot do it himself anymore.
Mikhail's program is more in this classic, Russian grandiose style minus drama hands and drama face - it works great for him due to his impeccable basics, skills, movement, I see him second time live, he can be a headcase with pops, but he moves beautifully.
Suprisingly for myself, I liked Samarin's 'The Greatest Showman' FS, at least this is an uplifting music that creates substance to perform with and Alexander for me needed some of that.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Still thinking about Sergei's FS. I totally loved it. What a performance! He did Denis more than justice :bow:
Training with Rafa seemed to have been beneficial for Misha, he made a much more solid impression. I'm happy Moris did well. Maybe he should spend some time in California too...

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Kolyada: beautiful performance! I loved the program. The ugly video quality doesn’t allow me to have a correct idea about the interpretation, but he wasn’t giving me bold womanizer escamillo vibes, but i guess this is the russian style, we can't ask him to channel his inner fernandez :biggrin:, can't we?. Anyway congratulations on the world record!

Voronov: <3 nobody can say he didn’t justice to Denis Ten, that passionate step sequence is really something. He totally deserved the silver and I wish him a lot more medals this season.

Tanaka: I loved so much his fs! Finally an original choice of music (if i'm not mistaking, i'm quite new to the business)! Also he was the best dressed of the event with that beautiful waistcoat.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Kolyada: beautiful performance! I loved the program. The ugly video quality doesn’t allow me to have a correct idea about the interpretation, but he wasn’t giving me bold womanizer escamillo vibes, but i guess this is the russian style, we can't ask him to channel his inner fernandez :biggrin:, can't we?. Anyway congratulations on the world record!
I sincerely hope Kolyada does not try to channel his inner Fernandez in this program, the result has the potential to be cringeworthy. He needs his own interpretation of the music. We'll see how the program develops.

ewdokia

On the Ice
Voronov: <3 nobody can say he didnÂ’t justice to Denis Ten, that passionate step sequence is really something. He totally deserved the silver and I wish him a lot more medals this season.
In my book Sergei had the free skate of the night – he was so much “into” that program, he skated with so much intensity that I had goose pimples afterwards. Denis created a masterpiece here – I love Sergei, but with sometimes long jump entrances and not having very light feet his skating might look a bit heavy. But this program made an advantage of it. It’s heavy music, but you need personality, presence, feel for music and rhythm to do it well. I’m very happy I could watch it live, as I think this program is live much better (which can be said about Sergei’s skating in general) and just awesome. It reflects so well what a great skater Sergei is and unfortunately what a great choreographer we lost with Denis (RIP). I wish Sergei’s marks had been closer to Misha. :disapp:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
In my book Sergei had the free skate of the night – he was so much “into” that program, he skated with so much intensity that I had goose pimples afterwards. Denis created a masterpiece here – I love Sergei, but with sometimes long jump entrances and not having very light feet his skating might look a bit heavy. But this program made an advantage of it. It’s heavy music, but you need personality, presence, feel for music and rhythm to do it well. I’m very happy I could watch it live, as I think this program is live much better (which can be said about Sergei’s skating in general) and just awesome. It reflects so well what a great skater Sergei is and unfortunately what a great choreographer we lost with Denis (RIP). I wish Sergei’s marks had been closer to Misha. :disapp:

in my book too, but i'm totally biased :biggrin:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States

:agree: Well, for me, Sergei’s charming personality, intensity, and determination to have a good competition debut of his FS in honor of Denis came through loud and clear. (This despite the poor camera angles, subpar video quality, and giant logos blocking a third of the screen.) Bravo Sergei, Denis would be proud.