2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 2 | Page 104 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 2

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think Canada will only replace the Lady in the Free. They, the fed and the skaters, are serious about winning the Team Gold. As for skating so much before the Individual events, winning an OGM can be very energizing and confidence boosting. D/R and Chan can also use some extra mileage on their programs.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hope Canada replaces Chan with Messing. Quite apart from the fact that I think Messing would be more reliable at this point, it would be such a shame to see him miss out on an Olympic medal while Chan would get one for a....disinterested skate, to say the least.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Uh, but the men below Chiddy bombed their tech a lot more than he did?

That's not true, the Korean and Italian skater both definitely did better technically, and Nathan Chen and also arguably Yan Han did slightly better on the technical side too.

Nathan could objectively be seen as more than slightly better on the technical side actually, because Patrick got a bunch of points for falling on his quad, and most people don't think you should get so many points for a fall. Nathan in comparison got 0 points for doubling his quad attempt, but still had the 4Flip+2Toe combo in comparison to Chan's much easier 3Lutz+2Toe.

Which is to say, Chan's performance actually could have been placed 7th rather than 3rd, with different judging.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes, how she would throw her brother over this damn purple thing:laugh:

I'm cracking up SO HARD.... I love how she loves spins-- I'm tempted to send her videos of Jason!

And her comments on outfits are SOOOOO FUNNY!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I hope Canada replaces Chan with Messing. Quite apart from the fact that I think Messing would be more reliable at this point, it would be such a shame to see him miss out on an Olympic medal while Chan would get one for a....disinterested skate, to say the least.

1) An unreliable Chan still scores higher than a reliable Messing.

2) Chan is very interested in the Team Gold.

3) By what merits does Messing deserve an Olympic Team medal more than Chan? This is his first Olympics and up to now he's not contributed to Canadian international credential at all. He's not been part of Team Canada before whereas Chan carried Team Canada for years.

TCAngel18

Medalist
As long as the Shibs skate decently clean, and hold on to projected 2nd, the US can finish at the worst 57, although I think Italy can finish at best 58 or 59, with Japan finishing at best 57.

This worst case is assuming 5th places for both US men and Ladies, and 2nd for ShibSibs.

Japan would have to have Shoma win outright and Kaori finish 2nd, because their dance team will be 5th, and Zagi IS winning that FS. This would give them 57.

For Italy to get 57, I’m assuming a 5th place for men already. Caro would need to finish 2nd in the FS. I’m projecting C/L in 4th here. If C/L or the Italian male skater finish higher than projected, their path to bronze becomes tons easier.

For the US, I honestly don’t see Adam finishing lower than 4th, and Can go as high as 2nd. Mirai could be anywhere from 2nd-5th, depending on other skaters. I think 2nd is a pipe dream, but 3rd is doable. Honestly, if Adam finishes 2nd and Mirai finishes 3rd, the US could take Silver from Russia, if Kolyada bombs again and finishes 5th, and the Italians beat the Russians in the Free Dance. Slim chance, but ice is slippery.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm cracking up SO HARD.... I love how she loves spins-- I'm tempted to send her videos of Jason!

And her comments on outfits are SOOOOO FUNNY!

Comment on Zabiiako/Enbert FS costume change has potential to become iconic :) :), I cracked while she commented on Scott's SD bling costume that she would not go to the Club with guy looking better than her:laugh:, right though on Tessa's new SD dress appreciation squad!!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Comment on Zabiiako/Enbert FS costume change has potential to become iconic :) :), I cracked while she commented on Scott's SD bling costume that she would not go to the Club with guy looking better than her:laugh:, right though on Tessa's new SD dress appreciation squad!!!

Haha, the clubbin' outfit tweets were the BEST. I cannot wait for tomorrow night's team event tweets!!

Did anybody else find the ladies a bit boring today? Everyone did what was expected in a workmanlike way. Scorewise, the only point of interest was that Bradie Tennell came close to Satoko Miyahara. This should help Bradie's PCSs later in the Games. (Bradie looks so much like her mother!)

TCAngel18

Medalist
Did C/L fall and I'm just not remembering? I see they got a deduction for a fall and I'm blanking.

The harsh judging panel called the Split they do at the end of a move a fall. I can’t remember if the split was exiting a dance lift or during a step sequence.

This panel was strict as you know what. Is this the same panel for the Dance event? If so, watch out, y’all.

reneerose

Final Flight
Did C/L fall and I'm just not remembering? I see they got a deduction for a fall and I'm blanking.

They didn't fall at all....they were marked down I think for the choreography near the end when Anna does a split above the ice? I haven't seen the protocols yet though to confirm it. They've been doing that same choreo the whole season and now they get a deduction? That bothered me a lot.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Can’t they call an audible though?

It just doesn't make sense for Team Japan to send Shoma when their chances of getting a bronze are slimmer than Russia's chance for gold. Also, when the Japanese Fed announces something they rarely go back.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Is there anywhere they list the current standings or do I have to whip a calculator out?