2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ladies Figure Skating

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Xiangning has to be clean because she doesn't have a 3-3 this season, but is likely to make it given her 4CC momentum (57.01). Schott has been solidly scoring around 55 points in GP with a PB above 60, so could also squeak through. I'm also optimistic about Ha Nul who recently scored her PB and broke 60 points at 4CC, Ivett whose PB is also above 60, and Meite who has improved vs. previous years and overtaken Laurine.

Of the mid-level contenders, I'm most anxious about Maé-Bérénice. She has a tendency to implode, and there is no guarantee that the judges will go with her on PCS. Look what happened to Besseghier...

Warwick360

Medalist
I think my biggest issue with the ladies skating nowadays is that none of them (with rare exceptions like Carolina) last. Like we see a lot of them, especially Russian ladies hit peak with maybe one or two seasons in their teens and then basically plunge after that and we can't see them grow and evolve like we see with skaters in the other events. I really hope that changes.

Nowaday? This has been happening for quite some time, every now and then. Lipinski, Oksana, Sarah Hughes to name a few. Nothing new.

Warwick360

Medalist
I'm really hoping none of the top skater will do a Nathan in the SP. But I do hope all the top contenders will come close to doing a Nathan in the LP. :biggrin:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Starting Orders are up, but the comp thread still isn't open.

I'm going to depend heavily on the kind souls who post links to live streams tonight. We only have regular tv, and our NBC channel is a blank screen today. This happens because of high winds and/or directions, etc.

So :thank: in advance to such kind souls! I have a meeting early evening, but I should be joining you all around Group 3. :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nowaday? This has been happening for quite some time, every now and then. Lipinski, Oksana, Sarah Hughes to name a few. Nothing new.

It's new since early 1990s, when school figures were abolished. Some of us remember when 15-year-olds didn't win the ladies' event.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I think my biggest issue with the ladies skating nowadays is that none of them (with rare exceptions like Carolina) last. Like we see a lot of them, especially Russian ladies hit peak with maybe one or two seasons in their teens and then basically plunge after that and we can't see them grow and evolve like we see with skaters in the other events. I really hope that changes.

Honestly, I hate the fact that many it feels like many of the Russian ladies are grinded by the medal factory... knowing that Yulia had to retire at 18, because of eating disorder and other damage.... it's hard to enjoy the programs. i do like Evgenia, but I am just worried, because there is now a new medal girl (who has technique but lack pretty much in everything else).

Carolina may not be able to backload all her jumps and then jump them with arms over head.... but she has everything else. So do many others.

Alina may be a good person in real life but I don't think that snooze fest/jump fest is deserving a gold. It's certainly not something I want to watch 20 year from now as a program that won in 2018. It would be nice if she could develop her technique and style. Which is unlike to ever happen, sadly.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Did they do the same with Meagan on training before the start of the program at OG?
For sure, no. They treated only Russians like that. Sorry, OAR!

Did you not read my post? I literally said that according to Meagan, a team from another country - NOT OAR - also missed practice due to testing. I went back and listened, Meagan said that an Italian female dancer missed a practice and Kaitlyn Weaver almost missed a practice. That shouldn't happen, obviously. To anyone. But my point, that you chose to ignore, is that this is happening to skaters from other countries - not just Russia/OAR.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Since Alina is going after Evgenia in the short, surely the judges will need to leave room in terms of GOEs and PCS. Could bode well for Alina if she does a clean SP.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Did you not read my post? I literally said that according to Meagan, a team from another country - NOT OAR - also missed practice due to testing. I went back and listened, Meagan said that an Italian female dancer missed a practice and Kaitlyn Weaver almost missed a practice. That shouldn't happen, obviously. To anyone. But my point, that you chose to ignore, is that this is happening to skaters from other countries - not just Russia/OAR.

yup and according to Jackie who very likely heard from skaters, in addition to Alina, Kaitlyn, and the Italian female ice dancer (Cappellini I'm guessing), Andrew Poje was 10min late to a practice

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm just hoping little Loena from Belgium has a good skate. Enough to reach the Final, enough to make the judges notice. She's not from a big FS nation, she did very well at Euros, and she may be only 18, but has great potential for the future. Oh, and, ehh, I'm not Belgian but the Belgians sure as hell are my favourite neighbours...yes, there's bias on my side.

beachmouse

On the Ice
I hope Alina continues even if she wins. She is just a pure talent. Yes, you notice her skating skills haven't been worked on as much as the Japanese. But she is so physically good. Hopefully she develops her performance ability and she could be the greatest.

One of the reasons why Evgenia has grown on me is that she hasn't turned out to be one of those one year wonders who vanishes from the top rankings after Getting Hips. It's not quite as bad yet as artistic gymnastics (even before we knew about Nassar, I've had a hard time cheering for American gymnasts because of how their federation has treated female athletes as utterly disposable for more than a decade, and I felt like I didn't want to support that) but my heart always goes out to the old guard who can come back year after year with skill in their bodies and joy in their hearts and there seem to be fewer of those in ladies singles in recent years than I like to see.

Win or lose here, I hope that Alina has a couple more good year in her at the top. I can see the talent and skill, and I'd like to see more of, well something personal, come through in her programs. Right now, it comes across as rather paint by numbers for me, and I think she can be far more than that as she gets comfortable enough on the senior stage to go beyond that.

melsh

Rinkside
Starting Orders are up, but the comp thread still isn't open.

I'm going to depend heavily on the kind souls who post links to live streams tonight. We only have regular tv, and our NBC channel is a blank screen today. This happens because of high winds and/or directions, etc.

So :thank: in advance to such kind souls! I have a meeting early evening, but I should be joining you all around Group 3. :)
you can try this link
http://www.crichd.org/eurosport-1-live-stream-uk

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Deep breaths everyone! Anything could happen. Just go into this with an open mind and maybe you’ll be surprised in a good way. They’ve all worked so hard to get here. Enjoy it! It’s only every four years and it means the world to these ladies. Wish them luck and show them respect. Even your non favorites!

It’s almost time :yahoo: