2018 Pyeongchang Team Event- Points Table | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Pyeongchang Team Event- Points Table

GF2445

Record Breaker
Hey, I found some errors in your scores. In pairs and ice dance competitions you don't count the score if they didn't advance to the free skate. So Japan for instance should be using the 4CC scores not the scores from the worlds.

Hi jdfay.
I can confirm that you are correct.
Using the previous team event qualification results, I was able to establish that YES, if a pair team or dance team finished outside qualification, yet remained in the top 24, they would receive 0 points from Worlds.

Thankyou. The table has been updated with the corrected information.

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
This link will keep you up to date on the unofficial standings for the SECOND Qualification stage (2017-18 ISU Grand Prix) for the Olympic Team Event at the 2018 Winter Olympics.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e3jXwqj4q3ftj4bDbNnKI8N0aFGyO70jFz95T5LESZg/edit?usp=sharing

The Start of the Junior Grand Prix Marks the start of the second phase of Qualification Points for the Olympic Team Event.
These results will be updated after every Junior Grand Prix, Senior Grand Prix. They will then be finialised following the Senior Grand Prix Final.

An explanation of how the points work can be found at the start of the thread or click on the link. Please note that ranking points from the 2017/18 Junior Grand Prix Final WILL NOT count towards the Olympic Team Event Qualification.
_______
Race for the Final Spots
It is almost certain that these 8 nations will qualify for the team event this coming February- Canada, Russia, United States, China, Japan, Italy, France, and Germany (They are guaranteed a spot in each of the individual events, regardless if they fail to qualify a spot at Nebelhorn).

Nations that are fighting for the two remaining spots are nations who will be eager to receive the remaining Olympic Quotas for disciplines they failed to acquire a spot at 2017 Worlds. As a note, a nation in the team event NEEDS to have qualified spots in THREE of the Four Individual events MINIMUM!!!
These Nations are:
Spain
South Korea
Israel
Australia
Czech Republic
[Kazakhstan]
Great Britain
Ukraine
Finland
Austria
Belarus
Latvia

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... Race for the 10th and Final Spot
It is almost certain that these 9 nations will qualify for the team event this coming February- Canada, Russia, United States, China, Japan, Italy, France, Germany, and South Korea (They are guaranteed a spot in each of the individual events, regardless if they fail to qualify a spot at Nebelhorn). ...

But to be clear:
The host country of South Korea is at no advantage in terms of qualifying for the Olympic team event.

These “host country place” skaters will only compete in the individual events. It is important to note that these host country places do not automatically constitute a team for the host country in the Team event unless the host country qualifies for the Team event through the normal qualification process as described in D.3. [emphasis added]

http://static.isu.org/media/309682/isu-figure-skating-en.pdf (see page 6)​

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But to be clear:
The host country of South Korea is at no advantage in terms of qualifying for the Olympic team event.

These “host country place” skaters will only compete in the individual events. It is important to note that these host country places do not automatically constitute a team for the host country in the Team event unless the host country qualifies for the Team event through the normal qualification process as described in D.3. [emphasis added]

Thanks for clearing that up, ice coverage.

There was about to be a long ranting post in here about how unfair that was otherwise.

GF2445

Record Breaker
But to be clear:

Thankyou for the clarification. Please enjoy keeping updated.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Thanks for clearing that up, ice coverage.

There was about to be a long ranting post in here about how unfair that was otherwise.

I apologise if what i wrote made it seem like South Korea got a free pass. Trying to explain how the Team Event works is not an easy job.
From the points that South Korea earned at 2017 Worlds, it, however, seems likely that South Korea have done enough.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12LCnBBQsSpKGN5RT_hj24skoX6aq4xMcjW453oUyqzc/edit

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I apologise if what i wrote made it seem like South Korea got a free pass. Trying to explain how the Team Event works is not an easy job.
From the points that South Korea earned at 2017 Worlds, it, however, seems likely that South Korea have done enough.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12LCnBBQsSpKGN5RT_hj24skoX6aq4xMcjW453oUyqzc/edit

The points won't matter if they don't qualify in at least 2 more disciplines though. Min/Gamelin have a really good chance in dance, so that leaves Men's and pairs. They have a good shot at Men's. There might not even be more than 10 countries who end up with at least three disciplines qualified. It'll get a lot clearer after Nebelhorn.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The points won't matter if they don't qualify in at least 2 more disciplines though. Min/Gamelin have a really good chance in dance, so that leaves Men's and pairs. They have a good shot at Men's. There might not even be more than 10 countries who end up with at least three disciplines qualified. It'll get a lot clearer after Nebelhorn.

But this is my concern. If they don't qualify through Nebelhorn, they still get a spot anyway in each discipline, giving them the four disciplines. The one question I want absolute clarity on is does this automatic spots in the four disciplines leapfrog them above the countries who actually had to earn their spots and might only have three?

Because I'm not gonna lie and I'm gonna say it right now: if Australia misses the team event because Korea is gifted a spot in each discipline, I am going to be beyond pissed.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... Plus, the language of the Qualification Systems document is making me think. They specify that "If applicable, each NOC may benefit of this Additional Athletes Quota for only one discipline of the Team event." This makes me think that the three discipline minimum is AFTER including the Additional Athletes Quota extras. Otherwise, why specify "only one discipline" when countries who qualified 3 disciplines would only need 1 AAQ entry by default? Thus, countries who qualified 2 disciplines but could get to 3 with an Additional Athletes Quota spot may be eligible, which would open the field up a bit more.

Caveat that the ISU isn't always clear with their language and I may be reading too much into it.

Have been meaning to say that (FWIW) I agree with your reading that qualifying in two disciplines would be sufficient --- as long as a country could add a team entry in a third discipline before the AAQ is used up.

Especially because it's all together in one paragraph (emphasis added):

b) Each Team must participate in at least three (3) disciplines (Ladies Single Skating /Men Single Skating /Pair Skating/Ice Dance) of the Team event. In order to compose a Team the NOCs, if necessary and applicable, can make one (1) entry (for one discipline) according to D.3.1. Additional Athletes Quota.

But this is my concern. If they don't qualify through Nebelhorn, they still get a spot anyway in each discipline, giving them the four disciplines. The one question I want absolute clarity on is does this automatic spots in the four disciplines leapfrog them above the countries who actually had to earn their spots and might only have three? ...

My opinion is that the answer is No.

For one thing, I see nothing in the ISU document that suggests that any country qualifying in four disciplines automatically would outrank any country qualifying in three (or two) disciplines.
For any countries at all, I think that only qualifying points matter.

d) The ten (10) Teams having accumulated the highest number of qualifying points by the above-mentioned number and discipline of skaters/couples in the above mentioned ISU Events and the criteria outlined below will qualify.

(Plus it seems clear to me [YMMV] in any case that South Korea must qualify for the team event *without* taking any gifted individual entries into consideration, based on the passage in my earlier post.)

GF2445

Record Breaker
From my understanding of the qualification document om the ISU site, that South Korea will get a qualification spot in each individual event. E.g. If Korea fails to qualify a man at Nebelhorn and not receive any of the 30 quota spots, and then they are too low on the reserve list, a 31st spot will be created for them. Same for pairs and ice dance.

Additionally, my belief that South Korea will qualify a spot in the team event comes from
1- South Korea aquired a reasonable amount of qualification points in the 2016-2017 ISU Championship Events
2- Spain, which is currently in 8th place in the team event race, do not seem to have a woman or pair atm that will be strong enough to qualify a quota spot.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
From my understanding of the qualification document om the ISU site, that South Korea will get a qualification spot in each individual event. E.g. If Korea fails to qualify a man at Nebelhorn and not receive any of the 30 quota spots, and then they are too low on the reserve list, a 31st spot will be created for them. Same for pairs and ice dance.

Yeah, but my point was about the team event. You said it seems like they've done enough in points for the team event, but they can only use the extra "host" spots for the individual events, not the team, so for the team event even if they have good points, they still need to qualify in enough disciplines.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Yeah, but my point was about the team event. You said it seems like they've done enough in points for the team event, but they can only use the extra "host" spots for the individual events, not the team, so for the team event even if they have good points, they still need to qualify in enough disciplines.

I do see your point. Well said. Korea will still need to go through the same process as everyone. I never said otherwise. These 'host nation' place athletes will only compete in the individual event unless Sourth Korea qualify for the team event the normal way. I am only making my own prediction that when the Grand Prix Series ends, and the team event points are added up, it looks like South Korea will be in the top 10.

This is the pg 6 of the qualification document with the headihg 'host nation places'
The host country places will only be implemented if there are remaining places from the ten (10) Team event “Additional Athletes Quotas”.
 If the Republic of Korea qualifies in all individual events (Ladies Single Skating, Men Single Skating, Pair Skating, Ice Dance), the host country places will not be applied.
 In the case where the host country, the Republic of Korea, went through the normal qualification procedure and did not qualify for any or only for some of the individual events (Ladies Single Skating, Men Single Skating, Pair Skating, Ice Dance), the Republic of Korea will be allocated one host country place for the individual event(s). This means that the host country places would apply, if applicable, for one (1) skater in Ladies Single Skating and/or one (1) skater in Men Single Skating and/or one (1) Pair Skating couple and/or one (1) Ice Dance couple for a total maximum host country places of six (6) skaters. As mentioned above, such host country places will only be implemented if there are remaining places from the ten (10) Team event “Additional Athletes Quotas”.
 The nominated skaters using the host country places will compete as number 31 in the Men Single Skating /Ladies Single Skating events, pair number 21 in the Pair Skating event or as couple number 25 in the Ice Dance event.
 The nominated skaters using the host country places must have the minimum eligibility standard set as for all other skaters at the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018, in particular but not limited to having achieved in due time the Minimum Total Elements Scores determined and published by the ISU.

GF2445

Record Breaker
To GS,
Sorry i placed my essertion in my posts that I think South Korea will make the team event. It casued confusion. I will need to be more careful because everyone is very particular with rules. And we are a very blunt bunch of commenters when it comes to the fine details of ISU documents (which is good).
Nevertheless, if you want to keep up to date about the points, this is the place.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
As of the end of Day 2 of Nebelhorn, the following countries have at least 3 disciplines qualified:

All 4 Disciplines

Canada
USA
Russia
China
Italy
France

3 Disciplines (Missing in parentheses)

Germany (Ice Dance, currently in qualifying contention at Nebelhorn)
Israel (Ladies, competing in Nebelhorn but very far down in the SP standings)

Countries who still could gain spots in at least 3 disciplines

Japan (Ice Dance, 2nd of 6 qualifiers after SD)
South Korea (Ice Dance, 1st reserve after SD)
Latvia (Ice Dance, 5th reserve after SD)
Australia (Ladies, 1st of 6 qualifiers after SP, and Ice Dance, 9th reserve after SD)
Czech Republic (Ladies, 14th reserve after SP, and Ice Dance, 3rd reserve after SD)
Ukraine (Ladies, 3rd of 6 qualifiers after SP)

GF2445

Record Breaker
Table Format Update

Final Standings Table has been updated to note quota placements, alternates (labelled as A-x), host nation placement quota for South Korea (marked with 1*) etc.
Nations highlighted in grey are nations that are not eligible to compete in the Olympic team event.
Highlighted in Orange show where quota placements have been returned (Denmark in Ice Dance, France- 1 of the quotas for Pairs)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EHPb3Pikjli9ibybrTjSbmiJScvM7_t-KtT3OYNTMII/edit?usp=sharing

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
As of the end of the FD, the following 11 countries have at least 3 disciplines qualified. (Order listed doesn't matter regarding points, in case you're wondering. It's just how I have them in my chart)

All 4 Disciplines

Canada
USA
Russia
China
Italy
France
Germany

3 Disciplines (Missing in parentheses, current rank listed if still to compete at Nebelhorn)

Japan (Pairs)
Israel (Ladies, 23rd reserve after Nebelhorn SP)
South Korea (Pairs)
Czech Republic(Ladies, 14th reserve after Nebelhorn SP)

Countries who still could gain spots in at least 3 disciplines

Australia (Ladies, 1st of 6 qualifiers after Nebelhorn SP, and Ice Dance)
Ukraine (Ladies, 3rd of 6 qualifiers after SP)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
As of the end of the Nebelhorn, the following 13 countries have at least the minimum of 3 disciplines qualified. (Order listed doesn't matter regarding points, in case you're wondering. It's just how I have them in my chart) While points may still change, these are now the only 13 countries eligible for the 10 Team Event spots.

All 4 Disciplines

Canada
USA
Russia
China
Italy
France
Germany

3 Disciplines (Missing discipline in parentheses)

Japan (Pairs)
Israel (Ladies)
South Korea (Pairs)
Czech Republic (Ladies)
Australia (Ice Dance)
Ukraine (Pairs)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Plus, the language of the Qualification Systems document is making me think. They specify that "If applicable, each NOC may benefit of this Additional Athletes Quota for
only one discipline of the Team event." This makes me think that the three discipline minimum is AFTER including the Additional Athletes Quota extras. Otherwise, why specify "only one discipline" when countries who qualified 3 disciplines would only need 1 AAQ entry by default? Thus, countries who qualified 2 disciplines but could get to 3 with an Additional Athletes Quota spot may be eligible, which would open the field up a bit more.

Caveat that the ISU isn't always clear with their language and I may be reading too much into it.

Have been meaning to say that (FWIW) I agree with your reading that qualifying in two disciplines would be sufficient --- as long as a country could add a team entry in a third discipline before the AAQ is used up.

Especially because it's all together in one paragraph (emphasis added):

b) Each Team must participate in at least three (3) disciplines (Ladies Single Skating /Men Single Skating /Pair Skating/Ice Dance) of the Team event. In order to compose a Team the NOCs, if necessary and applicable, can make one (1) entry (for one discipline) according to D.3.1. Additional Athletes Quota.

As of the end of the Nebelhorn, the following 13 countries have at least the minimum of 3 disciplines qualified. ... While points may still change, these are now the only 13 countries eligible for the 10 Team Event spots. ....

FWIW:

Based on our conversation above, I do not feel sure that ESP can be ruled out as a possible qualifier for the team event.

ESP qualified in Men and Dance, and (in all likelihood) would be entitled to use the AAQ to add one discipline.
Thus would be able to participate in three disciplines.

ESP is currently ranked #9 in the OP's qualification points table.
Javi likely will add a chunk of points from the GP.​