2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Exactly. Keegan chose to wear red and skate for Canada and be coached by Alan Doyle, he couldn't be more Canadian.

I love this comment. I'm from the US but, I absolutely loved Canada when we toured there. I literally cried when we left Canada and have been back many times. I'm glad that Keegan followed his heart and skates for a Country he loves.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ice Dance -- Road to the Youth Olympics update:

Makita/Gunara, after two events, notched scores of 149.63 (Lake Placid) and 154.11 (Gdansk), for a combined total of 303.74. Of the four teams contending, they are the only ones to have completed their events. Two of the remaining three kick off their second RD in a few hours. Some benchmarks:

1. Bashynska/Beaumont - scored 149.05 at Chelyabinsk, score of 154.70 needed in Zagreb to move ahead of M/G;
2. Bronsard/Bouaraguia - scored 151.36 at Courchevel, score of 152.39 needed in Zagreb to move ahead of M/G;
3. D'Alessandro/Waddell - scored 152.12 in Riga, score of 151.63 needed in Egna to move ahead of M/G.

Unknowable, of course, what scores the remaining teams will ultimately need to move/stay ahead of each other.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Makita/Gunara, after two events, notched scores of 149.63 (Lake Placid) and 154.11 (Gdansk), for a combined total of 303.74. Of the four teams contending, they are the only ones to have completed their events. Two of the remaining three kick off their second RD in a few hours. Some benchmarks:

1. Bashynska/Beaumont - scored 149.05 at Chelyabinsk, score of 154.70 needed in Zagreb to move ahead of M/G;
2. Bronsard/Bouaraguia - scored 151.36 at Courchevel, score of 152.39 needed in Zagreb to move ahead of M/G;
3. D'Alessandro/Waddell - scored 152.12 in Riga, score of 151.63 needed in Egna to move ahead of M/G.

Unknowable, of course, what scores the remaining teams will ultimately need to move/stay ahead of each other.

Are you sure it's combined score? The document just says:

The Skate Canada High Performance Development Committee will then base its athlete selection to the YOG on the following criteria (in no particular order of importance):

Best international scores achieved at junior international events in the 2019-2010 skating season
• Qualifying for the 2019 ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
That could also be who has the single highest score.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It could be read either way, but it's obviously safer to have the higher combined score.

Emmy & Aissa got some brutal pattern levels, but their GOE combined with the minimal GOE (and in some cases, poor levels) of the teams below them means they're still in third going into the free, so they dodged bullets there; as long as Aissa keeps it together on his twizzles tomorrow, they're looking good for a medal. I noticed they’ve totally changed the tempo of the music for the pattern between Courchevel and here for some reason, so I wonder if that was throwing off their timing.

Nadiia & Peter, conversely, got pretty decent pattern levels, but got loads of 0s from the judges for it, otherwise they'd be in third rather than fifth. In general, this technical panel was handing out some very strict calls (see also, the Ukrainians' level 1 step sequence).

Huge score for Laurence & Nikolaj at Nebelhorn, putting them clearly in first place. Their star is rising sharply. Piper & Paul had better start getting those Finnstep levels.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Aleksa's free skate began with two falls, but he stayed on his feet afterwards. He had a rough time in Zagreb, and being a JGP medallist, perhaps he now feels a lot pressure to do well when before he had none.

Stephen singled two jumps in the middle of his LP, but over-all it was a better performance than at the JGP Lake Placid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09PU5edpF2A

Here's his SP, which I neglected to post earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIaqY8lpvQI

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I think the FD got very mixed reviews; in particular as it was not as innovative or unique as their past reputation.

I think it is better than what they've done so far because it is more mature.
They have always been original but sometimes it has been at the cost of being a little bit awkward or hard to read; even Vincent has its awkward moments. This one is class all the way.
I think what Piper and Paul do so well apart from originality and commitment to the performance is subtlety and nuance but that doesn't generally get noticed or appreciated by the audience. And yes, they can be a little stiff but they are also quite classy and sophisticated and great connoisseurs of tradition, and I think there should be room for class and tradition in ice dance.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Going into the free skate and based on what happened in Lake Placid, I thought Stephen had a limited shot at medaling. But as it played out, even just the base values of the 3Lo and 3Lz that he popped would have moved him ahead of Shun, and slightly more than 1 point of GOE between the two jumps would have moved him ahead of Artur and (in all likelihood) into the Final. So I'm sure he's disappointed with that, since he takes all of this very seriously. But all the same, I think this is a solid way to close his JGP season. He landed all his big jumps, which should quiet the more ridiculous claims in some quarters that he's lost them or what have you.

And that program is so much better with a real costume.

Kirsten and Michael win gold at Nebelhorn, with what might be their best free skate yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlFeBp3qfmc

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Hmm, well I think Kirsten and Michael have really gelled but I found that program to be a snoozefest, probably because the music struck me as an odd of combo of tinkly and dirge-like. Well maybe it'll grow on me.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hmm, well I think Kirsten and Michael have really gelled but I found that program to be a snoozefest, probably because the music struck me as an odd of combo of tinkly and dirge-like. Well maybe it'll grow on me.
I wasn't talking so much about program aesthetics (though I do like it) -- my favourite of their free programs would still be "Un Ange Passe" -- rather, in terms of technical execution.

Balloon

On the Ice
Congrats to Mike and Kirsten.
Great job to all the young Canadians in Zagreb, dance is pretty consistent in the top half of the group-good job.
Stephan, I love the costume today, always a fan.
Pair girls are small yet feisty and tough, Patricia is showing grit with a smile throughout the partner change and adjustments this season, I like the progress.
Will be watching the Dancers and Alison tomorrow, hope they enjoy the moment.

rain

Record Breaker

I posted this in the Nebelhorn thread, but thought I'd reply with it here. Obviously, we disagree, lol:

Just caught M-T/M's free skate and this program is stunning. So beautiful. The choreography is amazing, beautiful phrasing to the music and combination of elements and transitions and highlights. World class, absolutely world class. I think this could move them up this year, as long as they don't start making stupid mistakes. It could be a real moment. It casts a spell. I really admire how much Kirsten has worked on her stretch and carriage and grace. She was always sort of perky and fun before, but now she can carry off elegant.

Their twist looks a million times better this year. It was so, so scary before. I figured out what still makes me wary about him in the lifts — it's that his arms holding her up are behind his chest. It seems like a weird way to try to gain stability. But they looked better here than they did last year as well.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And that program is so much better with a real costume.

So true! :agree: When I saw that Stephen had a proper costume during the warm-up, I thought, "I'm sure I'll like his LP more this time simply because it doesn't look like he had just stepped out of a department store."

Scout

Final Flight

They're all so close to each other!

And they have "overlap", in the sense that Makita/Gunara have scored both higher and lower than Bronsard/Bouaraguia and D'Alessandro/Waddell.

It hardly seems fair to a pick a team that score a point or so more than another team at different competitions. I wonder of they look at scoring potential and what errors were (or were not) made in attaining those scores.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Congrats to Bronsard/Bouaraguia, who earned their first JGP medal in Zagreb!

Some updated score stats for YOG selection:

SkatersJGP Score 1JGP Score 2Highest ScoreAverage ScoreCombined Score
Makita/Gunara(3) 149.63(1) 154.11(1) 154.11(1) 151.87(1) 303.74
Bronsard/Bouaraguia(2) 151.36(2) 149.97(2) 151.36(2) 150.67(2) 301.33
Bashynska/Beaumont(4) 149.05(3) 147.07(3) 149.05(3) 148.06(3) 296.12
D'Alessandro/Waddell(1) 152.12----

If the selection is based on the highest, average, and combined scores, the YOG team for ice dance should be Makita/Gunara and Bronsard/Bouaraguia or D'Alessandro/Waddell (who will compete next week). If the team is based on highest score only, Makita/Gunara and D'Alessandro/Waddell will be representing.