2019 Four Continents Gala | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents Gala

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
NO IT'S NOT YOONSOO :tantrum:

Good heavens how come they get Junhwan right but keeps on missing squirtle's name when it's the easier of the two

Still, squirtle Havana is lovely and lovely, get some rest and collect yourself darling

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
NO IT'S NOT YOONSOO :tantrum:

Good heavens how come they get Junhwan right but keeps on missing squirtle's name when it's the easier of the two

Still, squirtle Havana is lovely and lovely, get some rest and collect yourself darling

I'm thinking it's because the 'eu' vowel sound doesn't exist in English the same way it does in Korean. The transliteration doesn't make the pronunciation obvious either whereas Junhwan is pretty straightforward for a native English speaker. I struggled a lot with 'eu' and 'eo' when I was learning Korean in school.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What happened to C/B? I hope their ok!

I read somewhere he was having a back problem. I've read so much lately I can't remember where!

Adding -- Found it on Evan's Twitter.

Very sorry to miss the gala tonight. My back spasmed and locked up while warming up backstage. I’m back at the hotel with a great medical staff and lots of ice. Thanks for an incredible week in Anaheim. We’ll see you in Saitama.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I'm thinking it's because the 'eu' vowel sound doesn't exist in English the same way it does in Korean. The transliteration doesn't make the pronunciation obvious either whereas Junhwan is pretty straightforward for a native English speaker. I struggled a lot with 'eu' and 'eo' when I was learning Korean in school.

Yeah, I know the 'ㅡ' doesn't exist in English phonology (and I know the romanization doesn't help, but it was originally meant to be something like e+u='ㅡ'[ɯ]), but I'd rather get 'unsoo' or 'oonsoo' than 'yoonsoo'. Like, where does the 'y' come from??? :scratch3: And whoa, Junhwan is straightforward? I've had non-Korean people asking me whether 'jun' rhymed with sun or soon (technically neither, but anyway) and it's the easier part. But then, said together you can just go with 'ju-nuan' which is pretty easy for an English speaker so (shrug), on a tangent, I knew a dude who uses the same letter with 'whan' for the romanization, she got 'wan' (like James Wan) mostly.

This is getting :eek:topic:, but for 'ㅓ' you can pass with pronouncing it as [ə], aka the 'uh' sound. It's pretty close to [ʌ] when spoken quickly, and Korean transliterations use ㅓ for the 'uh' sounds anyway ex) Hubbell - 허벨.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Yeah, I know the 'ㅡ' doesn't exist in English phonology (and I know the romanization doesn't help, but it was originally meant to be something like e+u='ㅡ'[ɯ]), but I'd rather get 'unsoo' or 'oonsoo' than 'yoonsoo'. Like, where does the 'y' come from???

Honestly, I think the spelling of Eunsoo throws people who don't know any better about Korean pronunciation because of the way names like Eugene or Eustace are pronounced. They both have that 'Yoo' sound so if that's one's only reference point for how a name spelled like that should sound, it's gonna come out like 'Yoonsoo'. It's not at all an excuse for announcers who I'm pretty sure are given examples to follow at the major competitions (not that you'd know it from how some of them butcher names on the regular - I mean, even Tim Koleto was Tom this week so who knows what that female announcer had in her flask).

I wasn't trying to explain Korean to you or anything, so no offense meant! I was just trying to sort out why poor Eunsoo's name gets butchered so often. I speak five languages and the Korean vowels were the hardest for me to master (the grammar was a lot easier because I already knew Japanese when I started learning Korean and there were clearer parallels for me to grasp). Language and linguistics fascinate me so this may be off topic but I'm enjoying it, haha.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Honestly, I think the spelling of Eunsoo throws people who don't know any better about Korean pronunciation because of the way names like Eugene or Eustace are pronounced. They both have that 'Yoo' sound so if that's one's only reference point for how a name spelled like that should sound, it's gonna come out like 'Yoonsoo'. It's not at all an excuse for announcers who I'm pretty sure are given examples to follow at the major competitions (not that you'd know it from how some of them butcher names on the regular - I mean, even Tim Koleto was Tom this week so who knows what that female announcer had in her flask).

I wasn't trying to explain Korean to you or anything, so no offense meant! I was just trying to sort out why poor Eunsoo's name gets butchered so often. I speak five languages and the Korean vowels were the hardest for me to master (the grammar was a lot easier because I already knew Japanese when I started learning Korean and there were clearer parallels for me to grasp). Language and linguistics fascinate me so this may be off topic but I'm enjoying it, haha.

Ohhh that's where the 'y' came from! Thank you for explaining, I wasn't offended in the least (if I sounded so I blame the announcers). It's just a pet peeve of mine, I just get :mad: when our names are butchered. And I'm very much delighted to meet a fellow language/linguistics enthusiast, much more one who speaks Korean :agree: