2020 Cup of China: Free Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2020 Cup of China: Free Dance

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Does the music in the arena sound a bit quiet to anyone else? I have my computer speakers turned up all the way and the music sounds pretty soft. i can hear Simon fine though

To be fair, there's no audience, so the music doesn't need to be loud. In fact, it probably helps the skaters if the music is a bit quieter, as it makes it easier for them to hear any cues being called by their partner.

But, in this case, I think the volume of the soundtrack for the ambient sound coming from the arena has actually been turned down by the producers. Because everything sounds quieter.

CaroLiza_fan

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Chen and Sun now!

In other news is Golden Skate being a bit weird for anyone else? I have to hit post twice to make my comment actually show!

Although sometimes it didn't, like just then :scratch2:

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh no it's this sad song! Anyone who's seen that Futurama episode will understand 😭

auser

Record Breaker
Chen and Sun now!

In other news is Golden Skate being a bit weird for anyone else? I have to hit post twice to make my comment actually show!

Although sometimes it didn't, like just then :scratch2:
I actually got a "trouble connecting to that site" type error message when I refreshed the page just before the comp started. Then when I reloaded the page it came right back :unsure:

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I gotta say I kind of miss the Skate America cardboard cut outs.

Sun is hilarious though :biggrin:

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That was also epic bringing it to the judges and choreo slide to finish!

Congratulations Wang and Liu!

Oh noes costume deduction incoming?

ivanja

On the Ice
Country
Croatia
I get it's a national event, hence the inflation, but I'm still rather appalled by these scores. These couples are just too slow to be receiving such massive GOE, PCS.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Wow someone high in the ranks must have told them to really lay it on thick with the Shiseido promotion in the kiss ‘n cry.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wang and Liu really know how to shine through their dances.:love2: He must have very resilient knees.
For sure! And I love them kidding around in the KnC.

I look forward to more of them, I wonder what Beijing 2022 will bring? It looks like China could have a good chance at a Teams Medal!

In other news I got SBS going :)

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Catching up, short thoughts:

- I love Wang/Liu's new costumes and those two swans always bring the drama, let them have those scores it's a national competition anyway
- I'm seriously developing a soft spot for Chen/Sun, I do love his diva-ness
- Ning/Wang could have better chemistry but so far it seems that China's No.3 spot is theirs
- I was astonished that two teams used A Thousand Years, maybe it really was Yan Han's power
- Lin Yufei had a dress that reminded me of a lot of skaters that I liked nonetheless

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I get it's a national event, hence the inflation, but I'm still rather appalled by these scores. These couples are just too slow to be receiving such massive GOE, PCS.
Just wait til Rostelecom. Then you will see some outrageous scores.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And the FD...

Lin/Gao

Ah I haven’t read the updated rules, but there’s the interconnecting steps between twizzles. They weren’t as crisp here as they were in the SD, but goodness, the Chinese as a whole have greatly improved that element across the teams. One step sequence had nice speed, but not particularly difficult choreography. Circular step good, but they need to connect more to each other. Much nicer stat lift with a good exit. Same with the combo spin, but with a strange tempo change in the middle of it. SL lift needs to be smoother in position changes (but a level 4 so good for them). Serviceable choreo twizzle to set them up for the choreo character ss, which is pretty lackluster, though I appreciate how they’re picking up speed along with the tempo. An ok rotational lift into a throwaway sliding move to final pose. Yes, I’m being nitpicky. It’s what I do. LOL! But for a newbie couple, they do have potential, and the polish and the finishing of moves takes experience. She has wonderful expression; he needs to skate out more.

Guo/Zhao

Lovely second position on the opening dance spin, though the exit could use a bit of work. Nice one foot step sequence. Again, strong twizzles and a really nice seamless entry into the CCSS. Combo lift to single foot competently done, but again, a very abrupt and somewhat offputting tempo change immediately after the exit. Throwaway choreo slide into equally throwaway choreo twizzles. These choreo moves really matter now; they need better ones. A bit two-footed on the circular steps, but again I appreciate how they are picking up speed as the program nears its end. Then a decent final stat lift. I mean it’s all very nice but none of it is particularly well choreographed or memorable. There’s no wow moment(s).

Ning/Wang

Steps into SL lift with some interesting position changes (that will impress the more they practice it; right now it’s got potential) right into a rotational lift to one foot. Transitional steps into a very good one-foot step sequence with a very good twizzle exit. And almost immediately into a CCSS that isn’t particularly difficult but is performed well: it actually does add character to the dance. Then a choreo spinning move which frankly was definitely overscored. And here is yet again another abrupt tempo change out of nowhere. Really, China, hire Charlie White to cut your music. Really nice stat lift with great speed (and to one foot which, well, good for them). Really nice first and last set of twizzles; she had a bit of a balance check on the middle set. Finally! A tempo change that isn’t a hatchet job! And into the dance spin, which was perfectly fine. Then an ok diag ss into the first interesting choreo slide of the FD. I’m not a big fan of the music, but it’s a good piece for them. It just needs polish. They’re starting finally to gel.

Chen/Sun

I believe this is last year’s FD, which frankly is standard Montreal Mush. But a very good first position in their opening dance spin for her. MUCH better twizzles than the RD (he didn’t do an extra one this time!). Same SL lift to one foot as in the RD, only here done as a combo spin, so it works better. And into their one-foot step sequence which is nice, as is the diag ss that immediately follows. These two have really improved since last season. Good choreo spinning move with a seamless transition to their CCSS, which is perfectly serviceable. The choreo slide that follows is much better and into a final stat lift. Good strong ending. Look, the program is no great shakes, but I think they’ve definitely improved from last year and a much better performance than the RD. But 115.69 is definitely a double helping of home cooking.

Wang/Liu

They’ve brought back the black swan program, which doesn’t surprise me. Dance spin with a good exit to transitional steps into the one foot ss, which is lovely. Interesting, for once, to see the curve lift from above. They do have a bit of a heave-hoist into it but both of them have lovely stretch (and they are neither of them natural ballet dancers). Diag SS as good as I remember it – Montreal gave them real choreography – into a first rate choreo spinning movement. Very good combo lift with interesting transition steps out of it. Building that dramuh! Smart placement of the twizzles, but a bit bobbly on that third set. And starting the CCSS in the judges faces is smart as well. Best CCSS of the night and a final choreo slide that may be one position too complicated for their own good. But really, it’s a breakthrough program for them, and smart of them to keep it for another year. They’re on a whole ‘nother level from their other teammates. Even with the costume malfunction.