2020 Four Continents: Men's Short Program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2020 Four Continents: Men's Short Program

icybear

Medalist
Rest assure even if Hanyu wins Worlds with a world record breaking score there will still be cries of injustice and whining over the shocking abomination of +4 goe being given instead of the automatic +5 they expect. As well as video analysis on youtube from his subjective fans pretending to give objective analysis on why his Nemesis should recieve 0 or +1 goe on his jumps :biggrin:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I just now am catching up on 4CC... and it’s sizzling in gentlemen’s division. But you know what I was the most grateful to see? Boyang making a powerful move to switch out of that yellow-on-white top. :yahoo:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Look, i wasn't really ready for such a dramatic reaction but OK :D

1. Nobody expects perfect score. For him or any other skater.
2. I think fans used to discuss scores in the past, too. But I thought this discussion was about 4CC. 6.0 was big mess so let's not go there
3. Sometimes I have a strange feeling that in some skaters' performances they are looking for ways where to deduct points while in others' where to add points.
4. Yes, I'm super consistent about food, and very picky, so if I love something i'm pretty likely to 100% love it forever :D
5. Brian said it was perfection and Yuzuru said he hoped for 112. They were happy in K&C but visibly not 'omg wow what a mega fantastic score'. So it's not just fans who had higher expectations.

Actually in my previous post, I was simply talking about more +5GOEs on jumps or more 10PCS, which wouldn't be too outrageous to expect given how he skated. In my opinion his jumps were here as great as they could be. Even if you judge by the highest Yuzuru standards. Can you find any 2 bullets he did not met on each of his jumps (but please, then apply this high standarts to everyone)?

And it's not like we havn't seen judges many times this season giving out +4/5 GOEs for less great jumps. Or in general giving out hight PCS for a clean programs with quads. It's not in the rulebook, but a common practice this season.

I don't want to argue that his PCS were terribly low but again, after seeing some scores this season it wasn't unrealistic to expect 49. Last time I checked, there was no requirement about originality for SS, TR, PE, IN? And you don't often see better SS or TR in singles nowadays. PE and IN are more subjective, sure, but... he can't wink or do some pantomime/grimaces to this music, right?

Yes, it's subjective and we shouldn't compare the panels. This panel might be stricter. But let's not act like fans are so crazy if they expected 112 or even 113.

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...96-program-component-chart-id-sp-2019-20/file

It’s understandable that a fan wants higher marks and would dole them out. It’s unreasonable to ask for judges who are actually critical regardless of the skater for higher scores. But YMMV. People are seriously losing their minds over 48.4 instead of 49 or 50 PCS and 45% GOE instead of 50%. I heard his max SP score is like 116.20 and some people are whining about him getting 111.82

Maybe if he adds harder quads he’ll hit 112. ;)

But of course then the complaint will be “ugh it’s not 115”. :sarcasm:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
My thoughts. Maybe the judges should just not use numbers for a performance like Yuzu had. If you have ever watched the Voice Jennifer Hudson throws her shoe when someone is so great. I say this in jest but he gets the poohvalanch for every skate. Numbers can’t quantify that Hanyu SP. I was so impressed and I did not think I would love it cause it is an old program. But I did. As a non Uber the judges should have all thrown there computers crashing to the ice just to say we have neither words nor numbers. of Course I am kidding but we do need some levity.

It is amazing that a few were underscored. I’m totally fine with Hanyu getting the WR. But I don’t ever keep track or or even remember the numbers and fractions. Sublime has so number that corresponds. Even Hanyu non fans should really see the skate was out of this world. People will remember this Gold more than say 2014 at Sochi. Can’t wait to see the LP and how all this gets played out. Exciting event all around.

Weathergal

Medalist
I enjoyed the Men's SP so much -- what a great event! I wasn't able to watch it live but avoided finding out the results so I would have as much of that feeling as possible. NOT disappointed!

Some of the highlights for me:
Donovan Carrillo - so much improvement from last season. Love his joy of skating and his interaction with bis coach
Christopher Caluza - great to see him return to skating. Amazing how much he has gotten back.
Edwin Paul Celestino - nice skate to Santana and good feel for the music.
Sihyeoung Lee - great to see skaters perform well in from of their home crowd, Part I
June Hyoung Lee - great to see skaters perform well in front of their home crowd, Part II
Junhwan Cha -- great to see skaters perform well in front of their home crowd, Part III
He Zhang -- not super familiar with him before this. Love his intensity and performance. Want to see more of him!
Han Yan -- he brings something special to the ice plus his 3A is one of the best. Welcome back!
Roman Sadowsky -- there is something so captivating about his skating. Please pull it together because you have so much to offer!
Nam Nguyen -- as he's matured, his likability factor has really increased. Live the bromance with Keegan, too.
Keegan Messing -- heartfelt, lovely skate. Loved the message to his wife in KnC.
Tomoki Hiwatashi -- great job! And +4 for that split jump!
Camden Pulkinen -- see comments on Roman.
Jason Brown -- I think that even topped his Nats performance. And +5 for that split jump!
Kazuki Tomono -- unusual program well delivered!
Yuzuru Hanyu -- stunning, sublime, his absolute finest