2021 NHK Trophy: Pairs Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2021 NHK Trophy: Pairs Short Program

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was speaking about Calalang/Johnson and merely mentioned C-G/L's name as they are in a close domestic race with them, and the second time (in this thread) I was talking about Ashley Cain's jump. Neither of these can be construed as ripping C-G/L to shreds.

First, I didn't say "ripping C-G/L to shreds." I said it's clear your agenda is to compare them unfavorably to others pairs who weren't at this comp, and to tear them down. Your tone and your other posts suggested that to me. But I should qualify that as my own opinion. Which I usually do, but I'll watch more closely.

This thread is for breaking down NHK Trophy, and yes, sometimes it's hard to hear critical things about our favorite skaters. Some fans only want to hear very positive and glowing things,

That's not me.

but no skater is perfect, and competitions allow us to analyze their strengths & weaknesses, mistakes & attributes, the protocols & scores, etc. A poster mentioned that Tarasova/Morozov leave them cold. It's their opinion and I can't tell that person to not have that opinion just because I don't feel the same. I can only say why my opinion differs. Healthy debate is a good thing.

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions. I do object to a person's tone, especially if it's sarcasm or irony. But I generally try not to engage, in those instances.

If you prefer to focus on other things and call her 'Ash' as if you're her personal friend, that's great and I respect you. The more pairs fans, the merrier, I feel.

You're assuming you know my thoughts, when you don't. I didn't call her 'Ash' as if personal friendship exists between us. In fact, I rarely do type her name as 'Ash,' usually only when I'm in a hurry. Ashley refers to herself as 'Ash' on IG and other places, so it seems acceptable. I appreciate your respect, which is mutual. We're both obviously passionate about pairs skating.

gold12345

Medalist
First, I didn't say "ripping C-G/L to shreds." I said it's clear your agenda is to compare them unfavorably to others pairs who weren't at this comp, and to tear them down. Your tone and your other posts suggested that to me. But I should qualify that as my own opinion. Which I usually do, but I'll watch more closely.

My "agenda" is to comment as accurately as I can on the skating I watch and to formulate educated thoughts/opinions. Your agenda in this thread has been to knock me for discussing C-G/L's jump rotations, which were relevant to NHK Trophy. I would think most people want underrotation calls to be accurate and consistent, especially since it can really affect outcomes of competitions. I've always respected you and your love of skaters and how you support them, so I'm not sure why you're so fixated on me.

I'm not "tearing a skater down" for discussing figure skating constructively and breaking down elements and protocol sheets. Being critical and comparing skaters is part of competitive skating. If the skaters didn't want to be compared to each other, they wouldn't be in a competitive sport. Nowhere in this thread did I mention pairs that weren't at this competition, my comments pertained to NHK. But of course we're also going to compare skaters to each other even when they're at different competitions. If someone wanted to compare Mishina/Galliamov to Boikova/Kozlowskii right now, they certainly can. If I considered C-G/L the 2nd ranked pair in the US, or the 3rd ranked, or the 100th ranked, that wouldn't mean I was "tearing them down", it would be an opinion that I would then try to back up with facts. My mind goes back and forth on how I feel about them. I have no personal vendetta against them; I comment on the pair skating.

As I said before, it's great for skaters to have rabid fans and cheerleaders. Every skater gets support in addition to plenty of criticism, and we have to be okay with that. We all love different skaters and have differing reasons for why those skaters appeal to us. If you have an opposing viewpoint on something I say, feel free to share it, or you could skip past my post if you don't want to hear about C-G/L's rotations or anything else critical. I like to read any pairs discussion even if the thoughts aren't exactly the same as my own.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
catching up with pairs:

Lu/Mitrofanov served Zombie chic
Miura/kihara are cute and lovely and deserve better music
i'm so happy to see Cain/Le Duc delivering!
Experience, like balck and neutral tones, goes with everything