2024 U.S. Nationals Men's Short Program | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals Men's Short Program

GGFan

Record Breaker
Had to watch the replay. My stars of the short program:

1. Shae Lynn Bourne. What she did with Ilia and Andrew this season deserves a choreo Emmy or something (and give one to Sandra Bezic for Lindsay's program too). Great job in playing to her skater's individual strengths.
2. Andrew Torgashev. Give him all the points! Completely unique program that translated the passion of an introverted skater to the ice. His PCS could be a little higher to my biased eye.
3. Jason Brown. Fall or no fall the transitions in and out of his triple flip and the entire footwork sequence were just next level. After what happened to Nathan at the Olympics I always cringe when I hear Benjamin Clementine music. I hope he nails the axel at Worlds.
4. Maxim Naumov. Much quieter program than Andrew's but I just love his flair. Each one of his spins have a little touch that make them his own. His camel change camel was a moment for me.
5. Ilia Malinin. He commanded the stage and he now has moments outside of the jumps. Kudos to him for the improvements and for carrying the U.S. men internationally on his back.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
I'm surprised that Ilia got a better GOE than Jason on his step sequence. I'm also surprised that Ilia got a higher mark on skating skills than Jason. I'm even further surprised that Ilia got a positive GOE on his combo when he very obviously bobbled the landing of the triple.

Any insight would be appreciated.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Who ok's the music for skaters? Liam Kapenis was just starting to skate well. However, his music was from Jesus Christ Superstar...and it was the section where He was singing, "Just watch me die". Good grief. I loved JCS. The music is memorable. But who selects it for a skating competition??? I've groused about the not-so-good music choices over the years and wish there could be a volunteer committee (I'd volunteer!) to help with music.
I think it's a powerful piece of music, but it needs a skater with a lot of depth and maturity. Liam is just not ready for that.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Had to watch the replay. My stars of the short program:

1. Shae Lynn Bourne. What she did with Ilia and Andrew this season deserves a choreo Emmy or something (and give one to Sandra Bezic for Lindsay's program too). Great job in playing to her skater's individual strengths.
2. Andrew Torgashev. Give him all the points! Completely unique program that translated the passion of an introverted skater to the ice. His PCS could be a little higher to my biased eye.
3. Jason Brown. Fall or no fall the transitions in and out of his triple flip and the entire footwork sequence were just next level. After what happened to Nathan at the Olympics I always cringe when I hear Benjamin Clementine music. I hope he nails the axel at Worlds.
4. Maxim Naumov. Much quieter program than Andrew's but I just love his flair. Each one of his spins have a little touch that make them his own. His camel change camel was a moment for me.
5. Ilia Malinin. He commanded the stage and he now has moments outside of the jumps. Kudos to him for the improvements and for carrying the U.S. men internationally on his back.
Good post w good points but re Jason and axel at World's, they haven't named the team yet and there's still the FS. Last year I was not Impresssed with Maxim but this year I quite like his programs. Not good Andrew is injured but he did well and that step sequence was choice. Agreed also about the choreographers, esp Shae Lynn. She really knows how to tailer make a program brilliantly and Lindsay's programs are also strong. She should recycle them for next season.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think it's a powerful piece of music, but it needs a skater with a lot of depth and maturity. Liam is just not ready for that.
I like Liam a lot but sometimes I feel he hasn't 100% transitioned to seniors. Aren't his parents coaching him? If Ilya can go to Raf for supplemental coaching, Laim should go for extra help. Maybe the family just doesn't have the cash.

georgia

On the Ice
I love Andrew's passion, but I don't know that he matches Jason (yet) in edge quality and control, and as a dance teacher I kept wanting to run up and lengthen the back of his neck and open his back between his shoulder blades. It is all those little details that make Jason the pinnacle in terms of PCS, IMHO.
Watching Andrew‘s bend knees was my highlight in men’s event. Like a dancer! His edges are out of this world!

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I like Liam a lot but sometimes I feel he hasn't 100% transitioned to seniors. Aren't his parents coaching him? If Ilya can go to Raf for supplemental coaching, Laim should go for extra help. Maybe the family just doesn't have the cash.
I thought Liam trains with the Murphy's at at the Connaught club in Vancouver (travelling across the border from the Seattle area each day)?

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I thought Liam trains with the Murphy's at at the Connaught club in Vancouver (travelling across the border from the Seattle area each day)?
I could have sworn they said he is trained by his parents. But with sleep deprivation I am mostly likely incorrect. Still he needs a sports shrink or outside tech coaching.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I could have sworn they said he is trained by his parents. But with sleep deprivation I am mostly likely incorrect. Still he needs a sports shrink or outside tech coaching.
Perhaps he's changed since Skate Canada? He was definitely being coached by the Murphy's then. They made a big thing of him commuting from the US.

skatingguy

On the Ice

Perhaps he's changed since Skate Canada? He was definitely being coached by the Murphy's then. They made a big thing of him commuting from the US.
You're both right. He's coached by the Murphy's, and his mother Louise.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I watched as it was airing, but couldn’t comment at the time. I’ll post some random thoughts that I can remember in preparation for the free skate.

Disappointed that Brissaud had to withdraw. I was looking forward to seeing him.

After a disastrous showing at GPF, I’m glad that Martynov did well in the SP. I like him a lot and I think he’ll be chosen for Junior Worlds if he holds it together for the free skate. He’s looking at a top 10 finish if he does.

Xie has a 3A preparation that would make Junhwan Cha raise his eyebrows.

Paniot seems to think he has found a niche as he’s sticking to the same style of music since his fourth-place finish a few years ago. It’ll work, but only if he lets go. You can’t hold back and skate scared if you’re skating to Prince.

Pulkinen’s placement is correct. I knew he’ll place under Andrew. His spins still look like they were beat with an ugly stick. But that was his best performance of the SP thus far.

Brown’s placement isn’t correct. With the fall, he should be under Andrew, but I actually thought he’ll be placed second with a 94-ish score so I’m pleasantly surprised he was rightfully put under Naumov. (This means it’s Andrew’s score that isn’t right.). I usually like his SPs but definitely don’t like this one. Not a good music choice and some of the choreography is recycled too.

Naumov! I really enjoy his skating. And his spins. That’s the best he’s skated in a while. He’s skated clean free skates before so hopefully he can keep his head about him and hold on to second.

Ilia! This was better than GPF, but not as good as Skate America. Although this is the best he’s performed the step sequence or any steps he’s had in the past. Well done! I hope he continues with being smart with his layout and doesn’t get in his own way. This should be a very easy win if he does.

Andrew! For the first time, I wasn’t nervous at all for him. That was the calmest I’ve seen him before taking to the ice and that made me calm. Best performance for me and should be in third. The 3Lz should have gotten a full on “e,” but he wasn’t called on it, so third it should be! His PCS was too low. As always, he kicked that step sequence’s ass! That was an absolute beat down. I also liked how he basked it in at the end. If I gave a performance like that, it’ll take me ten minutes to get off the ice too.