2024 U.S. Nationals Men's Free Skate | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals Men's Free Skate

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Congratulations you've been trolled. Happens to me a lot in the dance event. Some people just act out when either their favorites don't win or their rivals do.

Accusing people of "trolling" without a logical reason is not something I support, nor do I support trolling in general. As for me, I don't have any favorite skaters from the U.S. They're outside the U.S. I don't have any interest in "rivals," imagined or otherwise. I leave that type of behavior to teenagers who have favorite boy bands in k-pop.

Good night.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow. Interesting. Il ia was going to win this especially with his huge lead and tech. HIs PCS are overly generous but when you have the tech so goes the PCS it seems we see it with the Russian ladies, Nathan Chen it is a tale of time as old as wine. Still he has made improvements. Some errors but it could be the boots or the pressure. Andrew, Camden and Jason were great. But I really get the feeling that Jason will always have a spot in the world of fs but this may be his swan song. Two years before the olympics and there are skaters chomping at the bit to pass him. He has not upped the ante on the tech and the scoring system is not friendly to pc skaters like him. Even a skater like Chan which is a while ago had more tech and equal if not better pcs/skating skills. Its hard to hold off these other men. But I like Brown's skating it just sadly may not be made for competitive skating so much any more. I just noticed though this is a big year for skaters to decide you decide to retire or push on for the next Olympic Games.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Accusing people of "trolling" without a logical reason is not something I support, nor do I support trolling in general. As for me, I don't have any favorite skaters from the U.S. They're outside the U.S. I don't have any interest in "rivals," imagined or otherwise. I leave that type of behavior to teenagers who have favorite boy bands in k-pop.

Good night.

Why did you put a phrase in quotations that was nothing that Jason had ever said? Did you realize it was misleading, or was it a mistake?

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Wow. Interesting. Il ia was going to win this especially with his huge lead and tech. HIs PCS are overly generous but when you have the tech so goes the PCS it seems we see it with the Russian ladies, Nathan Chen it is a tale of time as old as wine. Still he has made improvements. Some errors but it could be the boots or the pressure. Andrew, Camden and Jason were great. But I really get the feeling that Jason will always have a spot in the world of fs but this may be his swan song. Two years before the olympics and there are skaters chomping at the bit to pass him. He has not upped the ante on the tech and the scoring system is not friendly to pc skaters like him. Even a skater like Chan which is a while ago had more tech and equal if not better pcs/skating skills. Its hard to hold off these other men. But I like Brown's skating it just sadly may not be made for competitive skating so much any more. I just noticed though this is a big year for skaters to decide you decide to retire or push on for the next Olympic Games.
But—2025 Worlds is in Boston! Of COURSE Jason is staying around for that. I would bet money on it :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
But—2025 Worlds is in Boston! Of COURSE Jason is staying around for that. I would bet money on it :)
I forgot but he has abeen around for a while. In the back of anyone's mind is though especially with the current results will the judges hold me up for one more year - I mean will Andrew, Camden and Max pass him next year. He has nothing to prove. His sublime skating is like Toller Cranston, John Curry the medal doesn't matter. The jumps or degree of difficulty don't matter to the fans.

Kris135

On the Ice
100% agreement on this. Ilia really had no competition here, and acted like it. His dad asked him backstage after the 6 min warmup for the short program if he was awake yet. He replied, "getting there." The boots may have been a problem, but he knew he had this championship in the bag without being completely focused.
This is why Raf really needs to start actually coaching Ilia instead of doing it remotely via phone calls and FaceTime and visits. Comments like this one are shocking and I know he talking to his father but still. Unless he had taken a nap before had left the hotel for the arena and he was still fuzzy there was no excuse for this. What can 19 year do in Columbus that would keep him up to wee hours of the morning anyway? I think that his parents are wonderful people and good coaches but I think this may be the time to start handing over the coaching duties to Raf full time because I think he needs to firmer hand to control him because he is at an age where he going to try to test the boundaries of what he get away with in his skating and also his life. He could start becoming famous and he needs an adult to keep his feet firmly on the ground and help him focus on what he really wants in life. I just do not think that his parents as strong enough for this because they love him too much.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
100% agreement on this. Ilia really had no competition here, and acted like it. His dad asked him backstage after the 6 min warmup for the short program if he was awake yet. He replied, "getting there." The boots may have been a problem, but he knew he had this championship in the bag without being completely focused.

I love Jason and he has been a skater for the ages, but it's time for the other guys to gain experience, and the way to do that is on the biggest world stage in Montreal. I'm sad that Max will not get that chance after such an inspiring free skate. We've got to encourage these young guys because Ilia shouldn't be the only one carrying the team after Jason decides to retire from competition.
While I do believe even if Jason skates next year and doesn't podium it won't really effect the public's love I would rather see him go out on a high. Considering some felt he was lucky to get silver and seeing Andrew, Camden and Max really close score wise ready to pass him not to mention knowing Jimmy could on a good day and I believe there is another skater taking time off (not Nathan Chen) but another asian male skater all capable of passing Jason maybe go to worlds and retire and go skate in shows where he is loved. I would hate to see Jason fade out like Gracie Gold sort of has or is (to be fair she hasn't retired).

sworddance21

On the Ice
This was the first real bad skate from Ilia all season, but if he's going to do it, best to do it at Nationals where he has little real competition. It kind of ruins the NBC and media hype story, but I think he can bounce back if he finds a way to fix the boot issues. He can't use these old boots forever. I also love how his bad skates still include 3 gorgeous quads, including the 4A, and a 3Lz-3A-3T. He should just plan to do that last combo every year at Nationals. Make it a tradition. :LOL: It's nice too that he wasn't too hard on himself. Compare his reaction at the end this year to the one last year where he was really devastated and didn't even smile. I think the lack of pressure also makes him lose focus, so he'll need to learn how to deliver in all settings.

Jason Brown - beautiful human being, and beautiful, talented skater, but that 2nd placement was a gift. At this point, I would much rather see the other guys go to Worlds and earn more experience. They all fought for it and Camden and Max did great. At this stage of Jason's career, a Worlds medal isn't going to change how much he's loved by FS audiences or his overall artistry. Let the other guys grow as competitors and feel the pressure of retaining spots for Worlds.
I adore Jason and I'm thrilled with the result, so I'm admittedly not particularly objective, but I think you send Jason to worlds this year because the combo of Ilia and Jason is most likely to hold on to 3 spots. The closer we get to Milan the more important it is to have those spots for Worlds to give the younger skaters experience.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Well, I never got an answer after I asked as to what the OP meant, but I can definitely tell you what it is NOT.

In no way shape or form did Jason Brown EVER say anything of the kind. The man has been nothing but gracious and kind to every competitor and to all styles of skating.

Just a tip before anyone gets upset over Jason's perceived failings....

ETA: And I do find it odd that someone would put something like that in quotes, but not be willing or able to explain when asked. Most peculiar. :scratch2:
He said something to Tracy when he came off the ice like "grit over perfection" or something. I'd have to go back and listen on the replay. Basically, he was saying that he had to fight hard. Sounded like he was repeating a mantra that they use in practice? Is it possible that is what the OP is referring to?

sworddance21

On the Ice
I really was quite surprised, because it seemed such a strange thing for him to say - but it also seems strange for the poster to write it in that way if it hadn't been said.

I would still love to see Jason do a completely different style of programme sometime, though. 😂 He cannot match the top skaters technically, so why not innovate with different performance styles?
I think that is what he was trying to do with Tarzan. It just wasn't ready yet. Certainly Sinnerman was that.

readernick

Medalist
I kinda thought Max suffered from skating after Jason.
Honestly, I think he suffered from skating after Andrew, Camden, and Jason. Max has nice basics but he isn't quite the same kind of performer they are. Still, he got higher PCS than Andrew and Camden probably due to skating order. Not fair imho. But, I do think the placements were correct. Including Camden being 3rd. Honestly, look at the protocols. Everyone got lenient jump judging but Camden's spins really lost him a lot of points. Those points add up.