2021 Rostelecom Cup - Pairs: Thoughts and Comments? | Golden Skate

2021 Rostelecom Cup - Pairs: Thoughts and Comments?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Another win for Mishina and Galliamov! They are way ahead of their teammates in terms of points, but it's great to see Kadyrova and Balchenko doing so well!

Della Monica and Guarise left a lot of points on the table.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've just watched the Pairs FS event, and I really enjoyed it. In order of appearance:

I was happy to see Miriam and Severin improving. That botched lift was a pity, and they were last again but it looked so much better than yesterday. Nothing to be ashamed of after the injury problems they have had this season. Just a lack of preparation time.

Kirsten and Michael did have a bit of a redemption skate, if not yet at the level they can be. A pity about the fall. Rather nasty, but Kirsten seemed to be okay.

Nicole and Matteo always have the most beautiful costumes. Well, at least they're to my taste. And what a shame about that aborted lift. Matteo tends to be such a great lifter usually. I love their programme though.

Ioulia's smile made my day again. So warm and enjoyable. Sure, some mistakes (doubles, Mark?) but still a good skate for them I think.

Audrey and Misha had a wonderful skate. Much less juniorish than their short. A pity about the fall from the throw (another nasty one), but great SBS jumps and the other elements were good too.

I am still impressed by Iasmina and Ivan, but a fall on the death spiral? Uh oh! Like Ioulia, Iasmina also has a wonderful smile.

What's to say about Anastasia and Alexandr? Another great skate for them, and deservedly in first. Really enjoyed it despite the strange music change towards the end.

I am completely a fan of Daria and Denis now. I used to find them 'this big bear with a little doll to throw around', but no longer. Denis was fierce in his expression today, so wonderfully fitting for this programme. And a 3T-3T-2T combo is really impressive. What they lack in refinement, they certainly deliver in innovative moves and creativity. Okay, not as good as Anastasia and alexandr (and alas a fall into the bargain) but they definitely delivered. And what's this with smiles today? Daria also at her best with one of those!

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Great summary of the event @ladyjane !
Nicole and Matteo always have the most beautiful costumes. Well, at least they're to my taste. And what a shame about that aborted lift. Matteo tends to be such a great lifter usually. I love their programme though
I like their FS a lot and hope they can get it clean soon! They're usually so strong on lifts, so hopefully this was a fluke mistake. They haven't had the best start to this season, so I really hope they can get their mojo back for the second half of it.

I was so impressed with all 3 Russian teams attempting (and landing!) the difficult jump combos; it's nice to see the sport being pushed, especially since the ISU reduced value of quad throws/twists and subsequently no-one tried them.

I am completely a fan of Daria and Denis now.
I love Daria and Denis, and I also love both their programs this season. It's so nice to see their improvement since GP Italia, I hope they can continue to improve even more towards the GPF. I'd love to see them make the Olympic team.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Yesterday in the short programme the first warm-up delivered clean skating while the last one went with mistakes everyone. Maybe because our Russian commentators jinxed the skaters saying, wow, what a clean skating of the first group, what a wonderful evening of pairs skating. :biggrin:
I hoped it could be vice versa today, but alas. :)
I understand that Miriam and Severin are not in their best shape because it was their first outing after the injury. But I don't know what is happening to Kirsten and Michael this season. :scratch2:
And today I have seen totally undone death spiral for the first time. I saw only invalidated ones before.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Della Monica wants to retire to have a family this season, but Guarise wants to continue.

“Maybe she can be my coach one day,” he said.

At 33, who could he pair up with? Further, would he be able to go another four years? Something to ponder for Italy!

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Della Monica wants to retire to have a family this season, but Guarise wants to continue.

“Maybe she can be my coach one day,” he said.

At 33, who could he pair up with? Further, would he be able to go another four years? Something to ponder for Italy!
Oh wow, that's exciting! Yesterday I was assuming both DM/G and G/F would retire post-Worlds, then G/F announce they're going to continue (yay!) and now Matteo is hoping to continue too! I wonder who he will team up with? G/A and C/M are both solid pairings who are steadily improving and have been together for a while, so hopefully they don't split; perhaps a singles skater might make the switch to pairs to partner Matteo?

icetug

Medalist
Daria is such a lovely young woman now! I remember her in 2018, she looked like a child among grown-ups and this a bit withheld me from enjoying their performances on a senior level. But now she's athletic and feisty and Denis is much more than a nice teddy bear he used to be in the past. They improved a lot, both of their programs are very interesting and I believe they are able to fight for the place in Olympic team.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Mark Magyar of Hungary is retiting too. Maybe Ioulia Schchetinina would match Matteo?
As far as single skaters concerned, I can't remember a veteran singles skater who is eager to try pairs like Velentina Marchei at the time.
About Matteo going for another four years, if his health allows and he has desire why not. But any predictions are not trustworthy, Zhan Hao can confirm.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
1st thought. M/G are the cutest pair ever. The was he consoled her after mistake in the SP.:: Galliamov is graceful and has very good posture considering his height. Mishina is so bubbly and adorable. The SP mood suits them perfectly. Still not sold on the FS and Soviet era news segment music, and I doubt I will ever be able to digest it, but damn do they do a good job nevertheless! Another clean FS skate, no doubt they will be doing a FS at the Olympics team event.

2nd thought: I want P/K at Olympics instead of B/K. P/K add creativity, originality, better technical content and much better performance aspect, while both programs of B/K unfortunately only accentuate their poor posture and lack of good lines.
Neither are super consistent, but P/K at this point are better than B/K for me.
A team of M/G, T/M and P/K would be an ideal and very diverse team for Olympics, each with unique strengths and different performance aspects they can offer.

slider11

Medalist
Curious about what others think is up with the Canadians MT/M. Kirsten looked seriously scared when starting that program. Are they nervous about the competition with J/R ? There are two Olympic spots for Canada so even if they lose their national title, I don't think Walsh and Michaud are serious competitors. That twist is a mess! Someone mentioned injury to Mike's back but it doesn't show with the lifts. Maybe different muscle motions?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Curious about what others think is up with the Canadians MT/M.
I know that Kirsten and Michael felt seriously betrayed by Eric. He was supposed to choreograph new programs for them and next thing they know he's announcing his new partnership and intent to go to the Olympics.

But I thought they skated quite well? Before catching up I read comments and expected a complete disaster. It was hardly that.

But yes, Eric behaved pretty thoughtlessly by not telling anyone of his plans and basically stringing KMT/MM and Meagan as back up plans. Had he told the truth I think all parties would have been OK, but this was real behind-your-back stuff.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Pavlyuchenko and Khodykin ❤️❤️❤️❤️🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🤩 loved them in all 3 skates, short, free and exhibition. The only competitors in this competition whose both skates made my very prestigious 2022 list of favourites. Pure joy!