2022 JGP Czech Skate Men's Short Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2022 JGP Czech Skate Men's Short Program

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
wait for the free i can name a couple of skaters not known exactly for consistency
That's exactly why I'm not trusting the peace - 1) It's juniors 2) It's men 3) There's a number of inconsistent skaters here 4) There's a number of skaters with quads and triple axels planned in the free.

Basically, it's the perfect recipe for a splat fest :palmf:

But I do hope I didn't jinx anyone by writing this out. 🤫

zebobes

Final Flight
Andreas lost his entire final spin. I have to go back and look... but I'm not great at spotting spin problems. Anyone know what was wrong with it?

Edit: Rewatching it, it was such a great spin too! I have no idea what the tech problem is...

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
You get the points for the first half of the combo, with a mandatory -5 in raw GOE (so basically half of the base value of the jump).

Aah I see. So they still get points for the first jump if they just stepped out & didn't do the 2nd jump.

But if the skater falls after the first jump on the combo, they don't get any points for that in the SP - is that correct?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Aah I see. So they still get points for the first jump if they just stepped out & didn't do the 2nd jump.

But if the skater falls after the first jump on the combo, they don't get any points for that in the SP - is that correct?
No, they would get points in both cases.

3Lz+COMBO Step-out, 3Lz+COMBO+3T* Step-out and 3Lz+COMBO Fall would receive the same amount of points on the combination (2.95). The fall would just incur an additional deduction of a full point, so the combination would effectively be worth only 1.95 with a fall.

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
No, they would get points in both cases.

3Lz+COMBO Step-out, 3Lz+COMBO+3T* Step-out and 3Lz+COMBO Fall would receive the same amount of points on the combination (2.95). The fall would just incur an additional deduction of a full point, so the combination would effectively be worth only 1.95 with a fall.
Ahh ok I've been assuming wrong this whole time then 😅
I often saw that the scores box shows grey and 0.00 points when it's 3Lz+COMBO fall, so I thought they're not getting any scores for that. I should really check protocols more often haha. Thanks for clarifying!

Back to topic, that was a really nice showing from the boys. Love Minkyu and Andreas most :love2:

annser

Spectator
Andreas lost his entire final spin. I have to go back and look... but I'm not great at spotting spin problems. Anyone know what was wrong with it?

Edit: Rewatching it, it was such a great spin too! I have no idea what the tech problem is...
He never did 2 turns in a row in sitspin on the second fot. One turn-jump-one turn. In short program that i no level, in freeskating with a V. With the spin Andreas would be in first place.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Heh, got spoiled on results anyway, but gonna catch up on the last group I had to miss in the morning.

And starts off nicely with Zharkov and Kovar. Kovar was more interesting, I thought. But, pretty close. Darn, Vlasenko went for that combo. Gutsy…

Is he the same Korean athlete who was in the last year’s JGP? I remember there was a young skater from Korea last year who was amazing. But I wish he had different music.

Nordeback is back!

Looking forward to the free!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Matej KLESAL (CZE)
Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson, Bruno Mars

2A
3S+2T Turn
FCSp3
3Lo< Two-footed, Fall
CCoSp2V
StSq1
CSSp3

Score: 32.86

Looks to be quite tall for 14 - Spins are pretty slow, as usual for most junior men. In general, still pretty unpolished, but nothing a few more years of growing and maturing can solve.
Papers! He is adorable and I file adoption papers.!!!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Damian MALCZYK (CZE)
Wild side (from Beastars) by We.B

3T+2T
3Lo< Off-axis, Fall
FCSp1
StSq3
2A
CCoSp1V
CSSp3

Score: 44.95

Spins need a lot of work, some issues on the 3Lo - But, very good basic skating skills and good speed and ice coverage. Nice suit, too. 👍
Do I have room for another son?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ I see there's mention of a problem with a spin move by Andres Nordeback. I was trying to figure out why Nordeback was not in first, or at least second. His performance was so good, with unusual music selection and interesting choreography. I found Yoshioka's program traditional and boring. Plus, he had a turnout on one of his jump landings. He was a bit over-scored, as was Memola, who also had a tech error, and overused traditional music.

IMO, Kai Kovar deserved a better result too in the sp. A lot of this type of scoring is politics and skate order. While I enjoyed Minkyu Seo, I feel that he too was a bit over-scored. I suppose he was rewarded for skating clean, as opposed to Yoshioka and Memola performing with slight errors.

Maxim Zharkov was also very good in the sp, with just a minor tight landing on the second jump of a two-jump combo. I don't see Yoshioka and Memola being better than Zharkov or Kovar in the way the judging went.

I still have to view the free programs to see the final results. If everyone skated well in the fps, it should be an even tighter contest, but there's no accounting for political scoring.