2022 Philadelphia Summer International | Golden Skate

2022 Philadelphia Summer International

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2022 Philadelphia Summer International will take place Aug. 3-7, 2022, in Philadelphia, Penn., at the IceWorks Skating Complex. This will be an ISU Minimum Technical Score event featuring Junior and Senior singles competition for men and women. The event will be conducted in accordance with the ISU Constitution and General Regulations 2022, the Special Regulations and Technical Rules for Singles & Pairs 2022, and in accordance with ISU Communication 2382 (Single & Pair Skating Required Elements for Short Program 2022/23) as well as all other pertinent ISU Communications. Medals will be awarded for both the junior and senior levels.
* Per the organizers there will be no live streaming.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yay Darian:hap10:

I understand back in the day quite a few Canadian skaters came. That will not include Keegan this year, sadly, as whoever runs his Twitter account said specifically that his days of coming to Philadelphia were over. Evidently, he used to come every year, again back in the day.

Also, as of now at least, Donovan is scheduled to be at a training seminar in Austin Texas that weekend. So there won’t be Donovan either. :(

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yay Darian:hap10:

I understand back in the day quite a few Canadian skaters came. That will not include Keegan this year, sadly, as whoever runs his Twitter account said specifically that his days of coming to Philadelphia were over. Evidently, he used to come every year, again back in the day.

Also, as of now at least, Donovan is scheduled to be at a training seminar in Austin Texas that weekend. So there won’t be Donovan either. :(
I would expect Donovan to go to Cranberry. Cranberry is a much bigger comp and I'm amazed they are scheduled back to back like this. Several weeks or a month apart would be more sensible in my opinion.

OK, not Keegan but surely lots of other Canadians as it's jointly sponsored by Skate Canada?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I would think so. Remember Bennet Toman was one of six senior men's skaters in 2019. Sad to say, I don't remember all the women. :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I would think so. Remember Bennet Toman was one of six senior men's skaters in 2019. Sad to say, I don't remember all the women. :)
Was it jointly sponsored by Skate Canada in 2019? Has it always been and I just missed that?

RUKen

Rinkside
With only three weeks to go before the Philadelphia Summer International competition will supposedly begin, there is no indication on the IceWorks website that this event is happening: https://iceworkssc.org/events/

Edited to add: There is an official announcement that was posted some time ago on the ISU site: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...elphia-summer-international-announcement/file

The Summer Championships is the local event sponsored by US Figure Skating and Skate Canada; it is separate from the ISU event that was held simultaneously in the same site for a few years. I recommend that anyone thinking of spending a few nights in the Aston region, hoping to see an international skating event, contact the rink directly to find out what is happening. I have been to the Summer Championships (and the Liberty competition that preceded it) a number of times, and it is worth the trip if you are within driving distance, but if you are hoping to see skaters from outside North America and have made a reservation at a local hotel (and especially if you need to fly there)--caveat emptor!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you @RUKen for your words of advice. @moonvine has attended in 2019, and I attended in 2017 and 2019. For me it is just a very long drive. If the NE Extension and the Blue Route have more than expected traffic, a very very long drive. :)

The club comp actually had international competitor, Daisuke Murakami, iin 2017 (I don't know if you were there or remember that), but that was a very unusual circumstance.

IceWorks' website, IIRC, have always left something to be desired. ;)

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Ha ha :) But seriously, this comp is always lots of fun. The first time I went, Jimmy Ma debuted a short program that included a striplease (later versions of this program modified this element, sadly.) I’ve also seen the then pint-sized Ilia Malinin skate there, along with Karen Chen and Young You.

But it is always a challenge getting any information about it. Sometimes individual skaters will post on their SM that they plan to attend, but often the only way to know who the competitors will be is to arrive the day before and copy the practice lists taped on the wall!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With only three weeks to go before the Philadelphia Summer International competition will supposedly begin, there is no indication on the IceWorks website that this event is happening: https://iceworkssc.org/events/

Edited to add: There is an official announcement that was posted some time ago on the ISU site: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...elphia-summer-international-announcement/file

The Summer Championships is the local event sponsored by US Figure Skating and Skate Canada; it is separate from the ISU event that was held simultaneously in the same site for a few years. I recommend that anyone thinking of spending a few nights in the Aston region, hoping to see an international skating event, contact the rink directly to find out what is happening. I have been to the Summer Championships (and the Liberty competition that preceded it) a number of times, and it is worth the trip if you are within driving distance, but if you are hoping to see skaters from outside North America and have made a reservation at a local hotel (and especially if you need to fly there)--caveat emptor!
Damien Kaptich is from Australia. Last time he came they brought several other skaters. It's a long trip for just one.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ha ha :) But seriously, this comp is always lots of fun. The first time I went, Jimmy Ma debuted a short program that included a striplease (later versions of this program modified this element, sadly.) I’ve also seen the then pint-sized Ilia Malinin skate there, along with Karen Chen and Young You.

But it is always a challenge getting any information about it. Sometimes individual skaters will post on their SM that they plan to attend, but often the only way to know who the competitors will be is to arrive the day before and copy the practice lists taped on the wall!
See...I REALLY need to know. I cannot think of another reason why Gracie would cancel her coaching in Arizona with a scheduling conflict. But it could be something to do with her family or totally unrelated to skating. I can attend one summer comp, and one only. The hotel is over $1k, of course that is for a week because there is no schedule, so it's likely to be less than that.

And I fear it will be a lot less fun when Cranberry is the next week and most skaters will go there.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you @RUKen for your words of advice. @moonvine has attended in 2019, and I attended in 2017 and 2019. For me it is just a very long drive. If the NE Extension and the Blue Route have more than expected traffic, a very very long drive. :)

The club comp actually had international competitor, Daisuke Murakami, iin 2017 (I don't know if you were there or remember that), but that was a very unusual circumstance.

I'm riding a train for 24 hours. No, make that 31. Iceworks' website is awful.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I emailed Lisa today to see if I could get any info. We're an hour behind the East Coast so I doubt she got it today. I found a tentative schedule and asked her if that was what they were going with. Also came out and asked her if Gracie was skating, or who exactly might be there other than Darian Kaptich (I really like Darian, in fact I created his fan thread, but I will not journey to Philadelphia just for him).

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We started attending the event (formerly known as the Liberty Summer Competition) in the summer of 2009. It has been a pleasure to see many US, some Canadian skaters @ the junior & senior level. One of our earliest treats was to see Adam Rippon skate there for about a half hour with no music (he wasn't competing there, but was being monitored by US Figure Skating), and we got to meet & talk to Brian Orser briefly. Though the years we got to see Keegan, Armin M., Nathan Chen, Max Aaron, Sean Rabbitt (whom we discovered in the summer of 2010), Patrick Chan, Viktor Pfeiffer (while he was still Olympic eligible), Alexey Bychenko, Ashley Wagner (& her brother, too), Ashley Cain, Karen Chen, Gracie, Tim Dolensky, Camden P., Alexey Krasnofshon, Andrew Torgachev, Bennet Toman (Canada), Yaro Paniot (when he still competed for Ukraine), Emanuel Savary, Jimmy Ma, Donovan C., - so many - great times!

I'm not sure if we can make it there this summer (we will have to see what is on our personal schedules for thee first week of August). I suspect with the Cranberry Open @ the new state of the art Skating Club of Boston in Norwood, MA, that Ice Works' "Glory Days" for the summer comps are past them & that most skaters are opting to compete @ the Cranberry Open instead. We are grateful for the many years we did get to attend the event (and just a 45 commute from home for us).

Last edited:

luvsasha

Final Flight
If some skaters I know are going and depending on COVID protocols, I may go. It's less than an hour away from me, and I remember seeing Alexia Paganini before she moved to SUI. :) Depends on the schedule too...

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If some skaters I know are going and depending on COVID protocols, I may go. It's less than an hour away from me, and I remember seeing Alexia Paganini before she moved to SUI. :) Depends on the schedule too...
Yes, Alexia Paganini DID compete there! It was also so cool to say "Hi" to so many of the coaches - Ron Luddington, Paul Wylie, Tom Z. Rocky Marval & Isabelle Brasseur, Darlene & Peter Cain, Kyoko Ina, John Z. & Silvia Fontana, ... Dick Button was there one summer to promote his "Push Dick's Button" book, too! It was always good to see Mark Ladwig there (as a presentative for Jackson Ultima Skates).

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We started attending the event (formerly known as the Liberty Summer Competition) in the summer of 2009. It has been a pleasure to see many US, some Canadian skaters @ the junior & senior level. One of our earliest treats was to see Adam Rippon skate there for about a half hour with no music (he wasn't competing there, but was being monitored by US Figure Skating), and we got to meet & talk to Brian Orser briefly. Though the years we got to see Keegan, Armin M., Nathan Chen, Max Aaron, Sean Rabbitt (whom we discovered in the summer of 2010), Patrick Chan, Viktor Pfeiffer (while he was still Olympic eligible), Alexey Bychenko, Ashley Wagner (& her brother, too), Ashley Cain, Karen Chen, Gracie, Tim Dolensky, Camden P., Alexey Krasnofshon, Andrew Torgachev, Bennet Toman (Canada), Yaro Paniot (when he still competed for Ukraine), Emanuel Savary, Jimmy Ma, Donovan C., - so many - great times!

I'm not sure if we can make it there this summer (we will have to see what is on our personal schedules for thee first week of August). I suspect with the Cranberry Open @ the new state of the art Skating Club of Boston in Norwood, MA, that Ice Works "Glory Days" for the summer comps are past them & that most skaters are opting to compete @ the Cranberry Open instead. We are grateful for the many years we did get to attend the event (and just a 45 commute from home for us).
I was thinking that as well, and I'd like to see it moved so it isn't in almost direct competition with Cranberry. Then I started thinking about skates like Darian Kaptich and maybe the Australians will compete in both. It's a far piece for them to go for one comp, and it's not like they have a lot of opportunities domestically. Anyway, Gracie is skating, so I'm there.