2022 Skate America: Info & Pregame Chat | Golden Skate

2022 Skate America: Info & Pregame Chat

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2022 Skate America is the first event of the 2022-23 Grand Prix series and is scheduled to take place Oct. 21-23, 2022, in Norwood, Mass., at The Skating Club of Boston. The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series consists of six international senior invitational events and culminates with the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in December in Torino, Italy.
The Skaters are selected and invited to the six Grand Prix of Figure Skating events based on the results of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022. Skaters/Couples who have placed 1 to 6 in each of the four categories are seeded and assigned to two events. Skaters/ Couples who have placed 7-12 at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships are selected for two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events, and Skaters with a top 24 Seasonal Best Scores (from the 2021/22 season) as well as those placed in the top 24 of the ISU World Standings can also be invited. If available, medalists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships can also be selected.

In order for a Skater/Couple to be eligible to compete at an ISU Grand Prix event, a minimum total score must have been achieved in the 2021/22 or current 2022/23 season at an ISU event (Grand Prix, Junior Grand Prix, Championships) or a Challenger Series event. Exceptions apply to host country Skaters, previously ranked Skaters or split ranked Couples who return with new partners. The minimum total score is 3/5 of highest score per discipline at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2022 and are as follows: Women: 141.65, Men: 187.49, Pairs: 132.65, Ice Dance: 137.89

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Looking for either an All session or Men's SP and FS tickets
Will pay full price including fees

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey, all. For those attending - THERE WILL BE SHUTTLES! I found this page on the SCOB website which contained this little nugget. It's mostly a page for SCOB members and how the event will impact them.

Parking at the Club
Significantly, all on-site parking at the Club and its neighbor’s lot at 846 University Avenue have been reserved for the event. Weekend passes will be sold for $180.00. (Club members who purchased all-event tickets for Skate America will be contacted directly for an advance opportunity to purchase parking passes.) The Club is providing a complimentary shuttle service for spectators, volunteers, employees and members between the Club and the University Station parking garage at 50 University Avenue from Thursday, October 20th, through Sunday, October 24th. Multiple shuttles will run on a regular basis throughout the day. Parking at the garage is $7.00 on Thursdays and Fridays, and $3.00 on Saturdays and Sundays. (The cost of parking is not reimbursable by the Club.)

charmblade

Final Flight
Hey, all. For those attending - THERE WILL BE SHUTTLES! I found this page on the SCOB website which contained this little nugget. It's mostly a page for SCOB members and how the event will impact them.
Yay, thanks for finding this. A complimentary shuttle with cheap parking at the Amtrak garage is good news, although I will miss the convenience of just parking right at the club. I’m not interested in paying almost the same price as my ticket to park on site.

My biggest concern is that these will be long days to be at the rink all day, especially if you are attending practices. I found a preliminary schedule:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sure wish they would have told us that right away. Does me no good whatsoever now. Oh well. Hopefully it's all a learning experience and I'll be better prepared.next time I attend an event at SCOB.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hello lucky Skate America attendees, is anyone willing to give Gracie her roses for me? I will pay for the roses and your time/trouble (they are a PITA to carry around all day. People will ask if you're a skating mom (or dad))

Seven Sisters

Medalist
The parking passes are on sale. $180.00 for all event.
For those who have not visited SCOB yet and who are planning to drive, I strongly recommend investing in the parking pass. Having attended a comp there last year, I know how limited the options are, and feel that the pass is a necessity, despite the substantial cost. I bought mine first thing this morning, as soon as the passes went on sale.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Less than two weeks and counting to Skate America! I can't believe it's happening so soon after months of waiting, lol. I suddenly feel like I'm not prepared ;)

All attendees should have gotten an email from the organizers with details - if you didn't get the email - PM me with your email address and I can forward. I did want to call out a few things in the email. I'm confused by their water bottle policy, which is contradicted in the email. It says you can bring empty water bottles (and presumably fill up at water fountains) but then it says you can bring in a water bottle. I'm disappointed that there is no outside food allowed - I'm sure people will smuggle in sandwiches from Wegmans anyway ;)

They are also requiring clear bags for entry or very small purses (no bigger than a man's hand? - where did they come up with that measurement?). I have one already that I use for concerts so I'm all set.

Schedule

Doors Open and Start Times

Thursday, Oct. 20
  • Doors open: 9:30 a.m.
  • Practice sessions: 10 a.m. - 4:05 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 21
  • Doors open for practice: 10:30 a.m.
  • Practice sessions: 11 a.m. - 4:05 p.m.
  • Session 1 start time: 7:15 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 22
  • Doors open for practice: 8 a.m.
  • Session 2: 1:30 p.m.
  • Session 3: 7:15 p.m.
Sunday. Oct. 23
  • Note: 8:30-9:20 a.m. men and pairs exhibition practice is closed to public.
  • Doors open for practice: 9:15 a.m.
  • Practice sessions: 9:35 a.m. - 12 p.m.
  • Session 4 start time: 1 p.m.
  • Session 5 (exhibition) start time: 7:15 p.m.
Bag Policy
Clear Bag Policy

For faster entry and enhanced security, a clear bag policy will be in effect throughout the event. Each ticket holder is allowed to enter with one (1) bag that is clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and that does not exceed 12" x 6" x 12" OR a one-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar). We recommend minimizing any valuables that you bring with you.

Clear plastic bags may be purchased in advance of the event on Amazon or here. A limited supply of clear bags will be available for purchase from the box office for $15 each.

Wallets and small purses similar in size to a wallet will be allowed. If your purse or wallet is larger than a man’s hand, it is very likely too large. Its contents should be carried in a clear bag.

Reminder: Patrons with prohibited items will not be permitted entry to the arena. The Skating Club of Boston does not provide on-site storage.
Prohibited Items
All items brought into the arena are subject to inspection. The following list of items are not permitted in the arena and will be confiscated. Items that are confiscated will not be returned.
  • Firearms, knives, chains and weapons of any kind
  • Outside food and/or beverages, including alcoholic beverages
  • Water bottles that are filled with any liquid. Empty water bottles are allowed.
  • Non-prescription drugs and/or any illegal substances
  • Vape Pens, e-cigarettes or similar
  • Flammable items, including lighters and aerosol cans
  • Umbrellas of any size or selfie sticks
  • Laser pointers or similar items
  • Musical instruments
  • Artificial noisemakers, including air horns
  • Glow sticks or any kind of glow jewelry
  • Inappropriate attire or signage (as determined by event organizers)
  • Portable folding and/or standalone chairs
  • Replica or toy weapons
  • Any item deemed dangerous, distracting or inappropriate by The Skating Club of Boston or U.S. Figure Skating.
  • Special note: (Medical marijuana and tobacco cigarettes may be brought into the facility but may not be smoked anywhere inside the facility or on the facility grounds, including restrooms and stairwells.)
Food/Beverage Policy

Outside food is not allowed in the facility
. Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free dining options are available at the concession stands on a limited basis.

Single-serving outside beverages for personal consumption such as individual cups of coffee or bottled water are allowed. Coolers and similar items with multiple products or portions are not allowed on the premises.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Less than two weeks and counting to Skate America! I can't believe it's happening so soon after months of waiting, lol. I suddenly feel like I'm not prepared ;)

All attendees should have gotten an email from the organizers with details - if you didn't get the email - PM me with your email address and I can forward. I did want to call out a few things in the email. I'm confused by their water bottle policy, which is contradicted in the email. It says you can bring empty water bottles (and presumably fill up at water fountains) but then it says you can bring in a water bottle. I'm disappointed that there is no outside food allowed - I'm sure people will smuggle in sandwiches from Wegmans anyway ;)

They are also requiring clear bags for entry or very small purses (no bigger than a man's hand? - where did they come up with that measurement?). I have one already that I use for concerts so I'm all set.

Schedule

Bag Policy
Clear Bag Policy

For faster entry and enhanced security, a clear bag policy will be in effect throughout the event. Each ticket holder is allowed to enter with one (1) bag that is clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and that does not exceed 12" x 6" x 12" OR a one-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar). We recommend minimizing any valuables that you bring with you.

Clear plastic bags may be purchased in advance of the event on Amazon or here. A limited supply of clear bags will be available for purchase from the box office for $15 each.

Wallets and small purses similar in size to a wallet will be allowed. If your purse or wallet is larger than a man’s hand, it is very likely too large. Its contents should be carried in a clear bag.

Reminder: Patrons with prohibited items will not be permitted entry to the arena. The Skating Club of Boston does not provide on-site storage.
Prohibited Items
All items brought into the arena are subject to inspection. The following list of items are not permitted in the arena and will be confiscated. Items that are confiscated will not be returned.
  • Firearms, knives, chains and weapons of any kind
  • Outside food and/or beverages, including alcoholic beverages
  • Water bottles that are filled with any liquid. Empty water bottles are allowed.
  • Non-prescription drugs and/or any illegal substances
  • Vape Pens, e-cigarettes or similar
  • Flammable items, including lighters and aerosol cans
  • Umbrellas of any size or selfie sticks
  • Laser pointers or similar items
  • Musical instruments
  • Artificial noisemakers, including air horns
  • Glow sticks or any kind of glow jewelry
  • Inappropriate attire or signage (as determined by event organizers)
  • Portable folding and/or standalone chairs
  • Replica or toy weapons
  • Any item deemed dangerous, distracting or inappropriate by The Skating Club of Boston or U.S. Figure Skating.
  • Special note: (Medical marijuana and tobacco cigarettes may be brought into the facility but may not be smoked anywhere inside the facility or on the facility grounds, including restrooms and stairwells.)
Food/Beverage Policy

Outside food is not allowed in the facility
. Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free dining options are available at the concession stands on a limited basis.

Single-serving outside beverages for personal consumption such as individual cups of coffee or bottled water are allowed. Coolers and similar items with multiple products or portions are not allowed on the premises.
Reading this makes me hope that if USFS/SCOB is serious about banning outside food, and about having those coming by car park at the remote garage and be shuttled in, they will be prepared to have enough food available at their concession stand to feed the entire audience. At Cranberry Cup last year—an event that had only a small audience, no more than maybe a third of capacity—-the concession stand ran out of most options by evening. And by contrast, this event is sold out, and I can tell you that there is nowhere within walking distance of the rink to eat other than the rink concession stand.

Were I USFS or SCOB, I would arrange for food trucks to set up on site. Of course, I am not USFS or SCOB. I am driving and bought the parking pass, so I am planning to keep a cooler in the car and prepare for picnics in the parking lot. Be forewarned, folks!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I sent the organizers an email with some questions including what food options they will offer besides their on site cafe? They better not run out of food, that would be bad. I'm still planning on smuggling in some snacks just in case or raid your stash @Seven Sisters, lol.

I really only plan on grabbing dinner on site since we only have an hour before the evening sessions start - not enough time to go somewhere else for food.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I sent the organizers an email with some questions including what food options they will offer besides their on site cafe? They better not run out of food, that would be bad. I'm still planning on smuggling in some snacks just in case or raid your stash @Seven Sisters, lol.

I really only plan on grabbing dinner on site since we only have an hour before the evening sessions start - not enough time to go somewhere else for food.
A very, very good question would be to ask whether the much larger, downstairs food concession area (where the athletes normally eat) will be open to spectators during the event. On the first day of the Cranberry Cup last year, it was. Then they closed it off and limited spectators to the tiny concession stand on the concourse.

Carol1

Medalist
I am excited for this event! I haven't attended a competition in person since 2019. I am, however, troubled that marijuana will be allowed into the arena. I still remember the smell from a Grateful Dead concert I attended with my first husband in 1971. I am prepared to dial 911 if anyone lights up a joint inside SCOB during Skate America.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Today on the This Week In Skating podcast, the announcement was made that there WILL be food trucks outside the venue on Sat. and Sun. For those with special dietary needs, there will be limited vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free options available.

Sackie

Medalist
With Yuma now out this could be a big chance for Roman to step up and skate 2 great programs back to back and claim another GP medal and start things off right. If can repeat his long from this earlier event and then back it up with a solid free it is very possible. And it might also boost the other CAN men to step it up to keep up with Roman.

shumaislife

Rinkside
With Yuma now out this could be a big chance for Roman to step up and skate 2 great programs back to back and claim another GP medal and start things off right. If can repeat his long from this earlier event and then back it up with a solid free it is very possible. And it might also boost the other CAN men to step it up to keep up with Roman.
I love Roman, and I'm so thankful to see his skating and spins in person. But he's the type that really crushes under pressure, which has now increased with Yuma's absence. All I hope is for Roman to just enjoy skating in his first GP event after the Olympics.