2023 Glacier Falls Summer Classic | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023 Glacier Falls Summer Classic

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, thanks a heap :drama:. I was feeling relatively youthful today until now. Going back into my fading memories of competing beginning in the 1970s, I can tell you that there was a K&C at upper level competitions, but not lower than national championships. Not in Canada, anyway. I was a flower girl at the Canadian championships in 1967, and there was no K&C then, so that was added at the national levels somewhere in the late 1960s or c1970? There might have been something at the world and Olympic level earlier in the 60s when the sport began to be shown on TV; that I can't remember. It was television producers who added the K&C, though:popcorn:. Gave the announcers a chance to interview the skaters while sitting on a bench with their coaches, waiting to see their marks. Then as more and more lower competitions began to be shown on TV the idea filtered down, until it began to show up at some low-level events that were being streamed and/or filmed for YouTube viewing, depending on the enthusiasm of the organizers to add all the touches of the bigger events.
So sorry! I was thinking that people used to skate out onto the ice with cards and hold up the cards to indicate the scores...

Not necessarily a K&C (though I did not start to follow all these small comps (which I now love) until I came to this board.
When did they start sitting 1-3 in seats backstage, I'm thinking that's very recent?
Some of the larger/more important nonqualifying competitions may use open marking (reading scores), and it may be more common for the qualifying NQS events.

But most nonquals do not: it adds extra time to the event, and ice time may be at a premium at large competitions.
At smaller competitions, the scoring may be done on paper rather than computer, so nothing is finalized until the accountants enter and check the scores after the event.

We won't even talk about lower-level events still judged under 6.0. In most cases only the ordinals and not the individual judges' scores are posted online/on the wall in any case.

20+ years ago when all competitions were judged with 6.0, again, they may have read scores/had judges hold up cards with their scores on them at at qualifying events and important nonquals especially at senior and junior levels, but usually not at most nonquals.
Thanks! My first smaller comp was Philly International, and they read scores there, as well as Cranberry.

gkelly

Record Breaker
So sorry! I was thinking that people used to skate out onto the ice with cards and hold up the cards to indicate the scores...
That did happen. There would be kids on skates on the ice and each judge would tell one of them what score to hold up. I'm not sure exactly how that worked.

I've also seen judges themselves hold up the cards at a local nonqual competition.

When did they start sitting 1-3 in seats backstage, I'm thinking that's very recent?
I think that is just in the past few years and driven by TV networks, so only at televised competitions (as opposed to an online stream for that particular competition).
Thanks! My first smaller comp was Philly International, and they read scores there, as well as Cranberry.
An international competition, even a small one, is a very different thing than a local nonqual.

Did you watch any of the events at the Philadelphia Summer Championships or Cranberry Open nonqualifying competitions, especially the lower levels?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m happy with Sonja’s scores. A 170+ skate here is just about her full potential. She is sandwiched between Hanna H and Mia, all at 170+. The USA ladies field is very competitive. I’m looking forward to watching her free skate, after watching her short program three times 😝
I'm not sure it's her full potential. She had a fall in the long. Kind of patted the ice and got up laughing hysterically. I love it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That did happen. There would be kids on skates on the ice and each judge would tell one of them what score to hold up. I'm not sure exactly how that worked.

I've also seen judges themselves hold up the cards at a local nonqual competition.

I think that is just in the past few years and driven by TV networks, so only at televised competitions (as opposed to an online stream for that particular competition).

An international competition, even a small one, is a very different thing than a local nonqual.

Did you watch any of the events at the Philadelphia Summer Championships or Cranberry Open nonqualifying competitions, especially the lower levels?
I watched my Adult ladies. There were only 2 of them and I honestly don't remember if scores were announced, and I was literally just standing in there between other things to support them because I think there was one spectator there, and it was one of the ladies' husbands. So I was the spectator for the other lady. Gracie walked by my seat about 20-30 times so I wasn't giving it up easily. Not to mention I watch the practices..but I usually watch them from the restaurant because I'm cold all the time. If Gracie isn't in the building.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! Elyce is very consistent this year! Another good result for her. Just enough to top Clare. We now have a fifth 170+ results.
Good luck to Audrey!
Every time I started thinking she was skating well she had an issue. First a pop and then a fall. I was like oh nice Ina Bauer...then fall...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to admit I'm watching the pairs again, and Martins and Bedard's SP music was so boring....but then we got to the end and she is SOOOO HAPPY, it made me smile. I love to see a skater who is literally downright gleeful, especially at a comp this size. And is Brandon Frazier there as a coach, or because they all skate at his rink?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The more I watch, the less I can take my eyes off of Ellie and Timmy. They actually remind me of...dare I say it...Tai and Randy? I will not be able to decide who to root for at Nationals, but it is going to be LIT.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

Not necessarily a K&C (though I did not start to follow all these small comps (which I now love) until I came to this board.

The earliest I remember is seeing the judges themselves hold up cards. Then somebody got the idea of having skaters from the host club do the card-showing out on the ice, the rationale being that they could turn slowly and show the cards to the audience on all sides of the arena. I only did that once as a teenager at a Section championship, and it was quite nerve-wracking. We had to practise, because It was easy to get your hands mixed up and cross them, intending to display 5.3 and having it come out 3.5, for instance. :bang::slink:

I've only noticed that backstage seating the last few years. I guess it was borrowed from the practice of having skiers and snowboarders do that during a televised race -- somebody in the ski world told me that was because they're pretty much faceless at the top and on the course, and the shuffling of positions at the bottom gave the viewers a chance to see their faces. Not really needed in a televised skating competition, but it must have seemed like a good idea to a TV producer somewhere.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The earliest I remember is seeing the judges themselves hold up cards. Then somebody got the idea of having skaters from the host club do the card-showing out on the ice, the rationale being that they could turn slowly and show the cards to the audience on all sides of the arena. I only did that once as a teenager at a Section championship, and it was quite nerve-wracking. We had to practise, because It was easy to get your hands mixed up and cross them, intending to display 5.3 and having it come out 3.5, for instance. :bang::slink:

I've only noticed that backstage seating the last few years. I guess it was borrowed from the practice of having skiers and snowboarders do that during a televised race -- somebody in the ski world told me that was because they're pretty much faceless at the top and on the course, and the shuffling of positions at the bottom gave the viewers a chance to see their faces. Not really needed in a televised skating competition, but it must have seemed like a good idea to a TV producer somewhere.
That would be so stressful! BTW they are trying a K&C type thing for gymnasts. Major International comps.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to admit I'm watching the pairs again, and Martins and Bedard's SP music was so boring....but then we got to the end and she is SOOOO HAPPY, it made me smile. I love to see a skater who is literally downright gleeful, especially at a comp this size. And is Brandon Frazier there as a coach, or because they all skate at his rink?

I was so disappointed in the music. Didn't Rohene choreo the SP? I expected better.

Does anyone know what the song was? It sounded like the music to an exhibition skate that Nathan did at the Ice, which I didn't like either (the music, not the skate!) But maybe that fake violin and thumpy beat and whiny voice is in eight different songs, for all I know. :biggrin:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was so disappointed in the music. Didn't Rohene choreo the SP? I expected better.

Does anyone know what the song was? It sounded like the music to an exhibition skate that Nathan did at the Ice, which I didn't like either (the music, not the skate!) But maybe that fake violin and thumpy beat and whiny voice is in eight different songs, for all I know. :biggrin:
I don’t know. I can try to Shazam it.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the 1-3 seating thing is kind of hokey. Manufactured drama.

"This guy can get the gold if the next five skaters bomb! Fingers crossed!"

After the stress of a major skate, I'd think the athletes would prefer to unwind in private, not in the televised company of their competitors. The vibe is a little too Kardashian for my tastes.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

After the stress of a major skate, I'd think the athletes would prefer to unwind in private, not in the televised company of their competitors. The vibe is a little too Kardashian for my tastes.
Take it from me, they want to get out of their costumes and go to the bathroom.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I don't like it that much myself, but they didn't consult me. To their regret, I am sure!