2023 Worlds: Info & Pregame Chat | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2023 Worlds: Info & Pregame Chat

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oh no, I'm been pointing at things all the time in Japan and the locals have been too polite to say anything about it...😂 Japanese people don't always expect foreigners to understand their customs. And they will explain things as best as they can to foreigners if you do something incorrectly...
its ok to point with your whole hand.....I am sure the Japanese are very tolerant of us Heathens....
You got this...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Nope, fans aren't allowed to take photos of skaters at skating events in Japan...I suspect only certain photographers are allowed to do this in order to sell photobooks and magazines with famous skaters in them (but please correct me if I'm wrong). Thankfully one can still make sketches of famous skaters, and I brought a small sketchbook with me for that purpose alone. This doesn't appear to apply to all sports; I was watching some live sumo wrestling yesterday and fans were taking pictures of the wrestlers there, so I did so too. Then again, I doubt there is a market for sumo photobooks in Japan...
Sumo wrestling is the second most popular sport in Japan.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Way off topic but while we are waiting, does anyone know when the 23 GP dates will be announced?

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sumo wrestling is the second most popular sport in Japan.
I honestly think baseball, soccer, and rugby are more popular; sumo is something that older generations (and tourists) are interested in, not young people...

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I wonder why we don't have the usual results page. This looks different and is different. It would be nice to see the skating order.
It's because this is in Japan. Event results in Japan always have this slightly different look to it. Skate order is up now for pairs... I'd guess women will be up soon

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
There is a "practice chat" thread where you can discuss practices

But AFAIK, there is no such thing as "official" practice reports, just reports from journalists or others at the rink.
Thank you.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Omg, guys, for the part of the start orders that has the skaters names, if you click the space around it, you'll see their planned content for their programs!

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Sorry for being MIA - skiing, snowboarding and snow monkeys has taken all my time these past 2 days 😅

I'm *finally* heading to Saitama tomorrow, and I'm going to miss Pairs SP in the morning unfortunately 🙊 (as the earliest bus going down from this mountain leaves about 10 AM....) But I'll be there for the opening ceremony and for Women SP for sure, with bunch of flags :hap10:

@yuumagical and anyone else attending, let me know if you're keen to meet up. Feel free to PM me, happy to give you my contact details so we can arrange something :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I wonder why we don't have the usual results page. This looks different and is different. It would be nice to see the skating order.

All the ISU events held in Japan since 2017 have used this style of Entries / Results page.

It is because the JSF uses a different company to do their livescoring, namely comnet.

The livescoring at the rest of the ISU events is done by Swiss Timing Ltd.

Before the 2017-18 Season, the Japanese events used Swiss Timing as well.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It's already on the ISU website
My cruises are safe!!!! Thanks
The ISU Council decided to allot the organization of the fifth ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating event to Espoo (FIN) which will take place on November 17-19, 2023 and the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final will return to Beijing (CHN) on December 7-10, 2023.

The 2023/24 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series and Final are thus planned according to the following schedule with the pending cities to be announced later in the year:

1. ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating – Skate America: October 20-22, 2023 – TBA (USA)
  2. ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating – Skate Canada International: October 27-29, 2023 – Vancouver (CAN)
  3. ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating – Grand Prix de France: Novembre 3-5, 2023 – Angers (FRA)
  4. ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating – Cup of China: November 10-12, 2023 – Chongqing (CHN)
  5. ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating – Grand Prix Espoo: November 17-19, 2023 – Espoo (FIN)
  6. ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating – NHK Trophy: November 24-26, 2023 – Osaka (JPN)
  7. ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (Junior & Senior): December 7-10, 2023 – Beijing (CHN)
For further information regarding the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series please visit the corresponding webpage and the full ISU Calendar of Events is available here.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I just took Thursday off from work to watch the men's SP in peace. I considered staying in home office and watching while working, but when I went through the entry list I realized that I am awfully excited for every single one of the skaters. These cacti all deserve my full attention. :jump:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Nope, fans aren't allowed to take photos of skaters at skating events in Japan...I suspect only certain photographers are allowed to do this in order to sell photobooks and magazines with famous skaters in them (but please correct me if I'm wrong). Thankfully one can still make sketches of famous skaters, and I brought a small sketchbook with me for that purpose alone. This doesn't appear to apply to all sports; I was watching some live sumo wrestling yesterday and fans were taking pictures of the wrestlers there, so I did so too. Then again, I doubt there is a market for sumo photobooks in Japan...
Many pics now showing up on Social media..Including at Goldsk8 .

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just took Thursday off from work to watch the men's SP in peace. I considered staying in home office and watching while working, but when I went through the entry list I realized that I am awfully excited for every single one of the skaters. These cacti all deserve my full attention. :jump:
I can decide which day to take off. I have Friday off. I'm EST, so I can get up at 2:45 a.m. , its over at 8, shower during zamboni and get to work at 8:30. But 2 days in a row will be tough, so do I take Wednesday off or Thursday. 🤔

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And we need our cartwheel count. :)

Hey, I don't know if you saw my post in the Abu Dhabi Classic Trophy thread, but one of the Cubs level skaters (9 and 10 year olds) did a cartwheel in her FS! :jaw:

I really was not expecting to see a skater that young to be doing a cartwheel. And you should have heard the gasps from the audience. They weren't expecting it either!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

MalAssada

Medalist
Without announcing anything to anyone I know, Peacock offered some replays during U. S. Nationals. I think most of the replays were only up for 2 days. I'm not sure if all the comps were offered for replay...getting older has made my memory less dependable. I am hoping that because so many in the U. S. are going to stay up from late night to overnight to see all of the WC comps that MAYBE Peacock will offer replays for a couple of days and actually tell us in advance so we can plan accordingly.

I think they offered a few replays of 4CC and those were only available for a couple of days. Again, there was no info before hand so after staying up until 1 a.m. and getting back up early for the next day I didn't much care about finding that the comp was available for replay.

No idea about commentary. I'm guessing the ISU will have commentary, but who knows.
All of the Men's FS from 4CC disappeared from the ISU the next day and I tried multiple VPN countries but they were all gone because of some type of violation.

Not sure if anyone has replied regarding your last paragraph, but I just checked and the Men's FS from 4CC are still up on ISU from Brazil, so I presume setting a VPN to here would solve this issue at least. In general, Brazil is a pretty sweet place to watch figure skating from when it comes to geoblocking.