22nd Ondrej Nepela Memorial | Page 9 | Golden Skate

22nd Ondrej Nepela Memorial

slider11

Medalist
Good to see Shibs in first but disappointed in their technical score. I thought the twizzles were great and were awarded appropriately. Their patterns were rated low though and frankly the lift higher than it deserved. Anxious for the FD.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Point taken. But what about the parts of the dance between the elements? I think they can show a little more character in those areas. But as you said as the season progresses they should settle into the scoring elements and explore the character of the dance more.

If I was a coach I would be tempted to tell the men, Think of the pattern as the bull. And part of that pattern is two skating as one. And you are going to master the bull.

Oh I suspect we'll see more and more character as the season progresses, once the muscle memory really kicks in.

GF2445

Record Breaker
This is why we need to scrap the short dance format and return to the original dance or original set pattern dance.

Hes compulsory dances are the foundation of skating and they should be learned like a musician practices scales, but people dont go to a concert to see musicians to perform scales. You perform music which is based on scales.
When an ice dance team reaches the senior level, they should not have to skate to these dances (some of which were made many decades ago) but apply the techniques and skating moves the dance teaches in their routines rather than having to skate a pattern suddenly in the program.

auser

Record Breaker
Are they using those brief snatches of music after each team exits the ice to que the next team? I'm getting confused.:scratch:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Yeah. the audio has been a little weird.
I missed the last teams score. Did anyone catch on what the Ukrainian team scored?

auser

Record Breaker
They are making the skaters clean up the ice.

LOL
I was away from the screen but I was wondering why the announcer was saying to check the ice.... I didn't realize she was talking to the skaters:laugh:

centerpt1

On the Ice
They do- so why use the unflattering music selection? It didn't match the choreo (at least to my eye)