Adelina Sotnikova to miss Russian Nationals | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova to miss Russian Nationals

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya bombing this season when they should have been the 2 at the top. Ice is slippery.

Naya

On the Ice
If she will skip Russian Nationals, what criteria will be adopted if she wants to compete in Europeans and Worlds? Some small domestic competition?

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
Perhaps it is best for her to just sit out this season so she can really fully recover. It seems like a serious injury and if she starts competing again without being 100%, it really won't be good for her feet/ankle.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If she will skip Russian Nationals, what criteria will be adopted if she wants to compete in Europeans and Worlds? Some small domestic competition?

I think there are some senior B's. It isn't like Julia or Anna have made a strong case to be on the team (yet).

Amei

Record Breaker

From what I've gathered on the boards - I don't think there is a set criteria for those events, basically the Fed can send whoever they want regardless of whatever the results of any competitions are.... Which if that happens, I hope for Adelina's sake that she skates lights out at Euros/Worlds if she is sent, because the amount of 'hatred' that she will get if she goes to one of or both of those events over another girl who has competed all season and bombs - it'll be bad .

cjmorton29

Rinkside
If Julia and Anna hadn't bombed at GPF, I would've said that there is no way she's automatically getting the spot. I still don't think she should automatically get the spot, so for me I think this should mean the end of her season. I struggle to believe that she is skating any good, and I gotta say I do think this is not really a 'typical injury'. I don't tend to like being a conspiracy theorist in skating, but I kinda saw this coming a mile away. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if she never competes at a major international again. The whole thing kinda had 'The Russian Tara' written all over it.

Also, if she ever is going to come back, she's really facing an uphill battle. Next season we could potentially see 3 Russian girls coming up from juniors who are all really strong! It will only get more and more difficult for her to regain her footing as one of Russians top ladies, let alone the world's.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker

Also, if she ever is going to come back, she's really facing an uphill battle. Next season we could potentially see 3 Russian girls coming up from juniors who are all really strong! It will only get more and more difficult for her to regain her footing as one of Russians top ladies, let alone the world's.
You have a good point but let's not forget that Ade has a main advantage over the rising juniors. That is by already going through puberty. Sure, Evgenia and Serafima's bodies might hold up with like Elena's for the next season but she can easily match their COP-milking with better jumping and with a more mature quality. Even from her stint in one of the Cup of Russia events, you can see that her skating got smoother and she's using better body positions, whereas both girls has to continue on working and polishing theirs.

So it's still basically between her, Liza, Anna, Alena, Yulia and Elena for the next season. Heck, even I'm unsure of how Yulia and Elena's prospects will look like next season now that puberty is starting to catch up to them...

trying to be as fair and critical as much as I can for this situation. right now, the biggest challenge for the russian girls is puberty.

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
@sunny_stars- you make some good points & I agree with your conclusions. Still, of all the ladies' fields, Russia is still definitely the most power-packed. They (fortunately) have many skaters & talents to spare.

Amei

Record Breaker
You have a good point but let's not forget that Ade has a main advantage over the rising juniors. That is by already going through puberty. Sure, Evgenia and Serafima's bodies might hold up with like Elena's for the next season but she can easily match their COP-milking with better jumping and with a more mature quality. Even from her stint in one of the Cup of Russia events, you can see that her skating got smoother and she's using better body positions, whereas both girls has to continue on working and polishing theirs.

So it's still basically between her, Liza, Anna, Alena, Yulia and Elena for the next season. Heck, even I'm unsure of how Yulia and Elena's prospects will look like next season now that puberty is starting to catch up to them...

trying to be as fair and critical as much as I can for this situation. right now, the biggest challenge for the russian girls is puberty.

Yulia's issues aren't really puberty - it's been said many times that she is having boot issues, and it's messed with her jumps.

Ayeshoo

On the Ice

Honestly, I'm surprised at how Elena is handling puberty so far. She had her growth spurt already and I don't think she's struggling with it (at least based on her performances this season). Her physique might still change though (like wider hips etc) but so far, so good.

-------------------------------------
There seems to be no definite criteria regarding who will be sent to Euros/Worlds by the Russian federation. I think they just decide based on who they think might bring about the highest possibility of success. So I think if Adelina decides to compete and perform well in B competitions, they might still send her over the others to worlds. Plus, she is the Olympic champion, and that's also a factor to consider.

I wonder who they will send to both Euros and Worlds though.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sad about Adelina. WE can only speculate what is going on with her physically and mentally. Really this is the best chance someone like Wagner or Gracie has to win gold at world's with the Russians struggling or not knowing who is there no. 1, 2 or 3. It appears in some ways their top two skaters may not make the team (Julia and Adelina). Poor Leonova she probably has one of the best overall short programs right now and she probably won't be in the top five in her own nation - Rad, Lip, Sot, Pog,Tut. Still Adelina needs to get in the ocmpetitive mode she is no Yuna she does not have the experience.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
@ Ayeshoo and Amei (I guess this applies to your reply as well)

Yes I agree that Elena AND Yulia are handling their growth spurts very well but puberty is such a surprise party pooper. Just being worried about it, you know...that's all.

Anyway, if Adelina does want to compete in Worlds/Euros, which Senior B event will she go to? are there even Senior B events in January?

anyanka

Record Breaker
Given she was injured since Rostelecom it's no surprise, that's not enough time to fully recover.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Adelina did look in reasonably good shape in the small Russian event she did. She performed a 3/3 and the full set of triples. I don't think she intended to blow this season off; I think her injury is legitimate.

uhh

Medalist
Yulia's issues aren't really puberty - it's been said many times that she is having boot issues, and it's messed with her jumps.

Her jumps are fine in practice. She lands everything. It's not boot issues or puberty, it's all in her head.

starlight97

Final Flight
I'm sad that she is out. From that one video I saw liked her FS to "Je suis malade" as a concept and I love the modern version of Swan Lake.
So especially music wise I was excited for her programs and I hope to see them at least at some point. If that's only next season then so be it.
A ligament injury is not just a little bruise after all!

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
Has she given any (official) statement regarding the matter? Just wondering, maybe there's something like that in Russian websites. Just haven't seen anything being said on English articles/news etc.