Adult synchro | Golden Skate

Adult synchro

Littlerain

Rinkside
Hello! I know some of you on here do synchro or have done it in the past. My group class coach asked if I have interest and while it seems like it could be fun, I really have no idea if it is something I could do or commit to. I understand they compete a few times a year and so it would be quite a bit of time and money to commit.

Would love to hear your pros/cons if you have done it before!

synchro66

Rinkside
I have skated Open Masters for 7 years. It is a lot of fun. The qualifying levels (Adult and Masters) have gotten very competitive (especially Adult) but Open Adult and Open Masters include a mix of abilities. We practice 1.5 hours a week. The season is usually done by late January or mid-February, depending on what competitions you do. If your team is Adult or Masters, you could qualify for Nationals.

In my club we compete two or three times a year, as well as skate in club exhibitions. One downside can be long drives to get to competitions but it depends on where you live, obviously. We skate in our Sectional championships and one nice thing is that USFSA recognizes the adults on the ice after the competition.

The time commitment and cost is really going to depend on your team level and club. As you know, skating is always expensive, but you are sharing the costs so that helps.

I highly recommend it. You have a chance to meet new people, have fun at competitions, learn new skills, and you will find the environment very supportive as an adult. A lot of teams will have Open Houses so you can try it out before committing.

I’m happy to answer other questions.

Littlerain

Rinkside
Thank you! She said I could come watch practice or skate with them today so I will watch and see! I think my biggest concern at the moment (with the little I know about anything) is that I won’t be able to make it to every practice with various travel the next few months. How does that work if someone has to miss practice or competition?

I’ve also never competed, only performed once or twice as a kid in the rink’s shows with my group class!

synchro66

Rinkside
That’s a conversation you’d have to have with the coach. Ideally everyone is there all the time because of course “synchro” is in the name of the sport and it can be hard to practice with empty spots. However, with adults, it is not uncommon to have missing bodies in practice and competitions due to other responsibilities and family. This year I had to miss several practices and two competitions but our team is very casual. Plus, I have been skating synchro for a while so it is not too hard for me to jump in. So talk openly with the coach and see what they say.