Info on collegiate synchro skating? | Golden Skate

Info on collegiate synchro skating?

laedeela

Spectator
hi everyone. if you've skated or know someone who's skates for a collegiate team, please give me any and all information about what skating in college is like. my ultimate dream is to skate for miami university but i have no idea what it's actually like. i'm 15, just passed my pre-pre test. i would say i'm a pretty fast learner, but i'm not currently eligible to compete on an ijs scored team and won't be until the 2025-2026 season at the earliest. how far and fast would i need to progress in order for my goal to even be something fathomable?

adhara

On the Ice
Country
Finland
Go to their summer camps. Off the top of my head, Miami, Adrian, and the University of Delaware all have one.

You will need your Gold Skating Skills test and lots of experience on a team.

laedeela

Spectator
how much is lots? i started skating kinda late and with synchro the max i can get with my club is 5 years total

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
hi everyone. if you've skated or know someone who's skates for a collegiate team, please give me any and all information about what skating in college is like. my ultimate dream is to skate for miami university but i have no idea what it's actually like. i'm 15, just passed my pre-pre test. i would say i'm a pretty fast learner, but i'm not currently eligible to compete on an ijs scored team and won't be until the 2025-2026 season at the earliest. how far and fast would i need to progress in order for my goal to even be something fathomable?
This may help you

I don't know much about collegiate synchro at all, but it will take a lot of training to pass your Gold skating skills test. Having started late will make that more difficult, but depending on a lot of factors, it might not be impossible, provided everything goes well (no major injuries etc).

What I do know about is intercollegiate figure skating clubs--I've been in one for two years. Even though it's not quite as prestigious as the upper echelons of collegiate synchro, it's a fantastic opportunity to skate in a team environment. If you plan on competing in singles at all, please consider this as an option if synchro doesn't work out for any reason. I wouldn't trade my experience in intercollegiate figure skating for the world.

You're being really proactive in thinking about your options and goals for college so far ahead of time, and that's great! Stay focused on your goals, but also know that a lot can change in 3-4 years and be prepared to adjust as necessary. Good luck!

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I don't know much about collegiate synchro at all, but it will take a lot of training to pass your Gold skating skills test. Having started late will make that more difficult, but depending on a lot of factors, it might not be impossible, provided everything goes well (no major injuries etc).

What I do know about is intercollegiate figure skating clubs--I've been in one for two years, and I'll be captain next year (not because I'm a good skater, but because I have the time and motivation to manage everything lol). Even though it's not quite as prestigious as the upper echelons of collegiate synchro, it's a fantastic opportunity to skate in a team environment. If you plan on competing in singles at all, please consider this as an option if synchro doesn't work out for any reason. I wouldn't trade my experience in intercollegiate figure skating for the world.

You're being really proactive in thinking about your options and goals for college so far ahead of time, and that's great! Stay focused on your goals, but also know that a lot can change in 3-4 years and be prepared to adjust as necessary. Good luck!
That's a good suggestion. I was at the University of British Columbia when the Bauer arena (part of the eventual complex where Skate Canada was held last year) was still newish and a university skating club was formed. It was fun to be able to take breaks from studying and run over to the rink to skate with friends there, some kids I already knew from our years at the "stand-alone" training clubs in Vancouver, and some newcomers from other provinces and a few Americans who'd come to UBC to study. No coaches, but we helped each other while exchanging experiences in our different fields of study (one friend changed her non-skating career plan from talking to students from a different faculty). We persuaded the hockey team to let one or two of us try out new competition programs as entertainment at breaks when they had home games. Not as organized as the American college version @outside edge enjoyer describes, but a lot of fun, and useful for skaters in a subtle, more relaxed way than our usual training environment.

adhara

On the Ice
Country
Finland

What I do know about is intercollegiate figure skating clubs--I've been in one for two years, and I'll be captain next year (not because I'm a good skater, but because I have the time and motivation to manage everything lol). Even though it's not quite as prestigious as the upper echelons of collegiate synchro, it's a fantastic opportunity to skate in a team environment. If you plan on competing in singles at all, please consider this as an option if synchro doesn't work out for any reason. I wouldn't trade my experience in intercollegiate figure skating for the world.

Yes, I'm an intercollegiate skater, and it's so fun. Another bonus is lots of (mostly) low-stakes competition experience if you intend to continue competing outside of college. Unless you're on one of the top 5 or 6 teams in your division, they are literally just there to have fun!

laedeela

Spectator

laedeela

Spectator
i don't have any interest in competing singles as u have really bad anxiety being on stage by myself. it's funny, when im out there with other people it's so fun and i love the attention but by myself im crippled. i really just want to skate in college because i genuinely love skating and competing and unless it's sponsored by the college i won't really have the resources to keep skating out of high school. i think i could see myself getting into ice dance but i'd have to be very lucky to find a partner. (there aren't a lot of guys at my rinks and they probably have so many better options than me.)

do any college synchro people know if you have private coaches for individual practice along with your synchro coaches? are they paid by the school or do you have to pay them yourself?