Alena Kostornaia | Page 181 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Vemvane

On the Ice
So we had a rolling blackout last night, just as the FS warm-up finished, and I felt very aggravated by the fact that I wouldn't be able to see the FS until morning, because I really wanted to watch it live. But, having caught up at last, I think it was for the best that I didn't watch live, because the tension! Every skater coming out and scoring higher than the one before, and knowing Aliona would have to follow on from Sasha and Anna, and wondering if it would rattle her nerves at all. I don't think I would have been able to sleep after that kind of excitement.

And then Aliona came out on the ice, and the camera zoomed in on her face, and I had to pause the video and go hang up the laundry to compose myself and make sure I was prepared for all eventualities, and then, when the laundry was hung up and I was still worried, I went "Nope, not going to be tranquil about this whatever I do, just watch it." So I did. And when she landed the second of her 3As I breathed a huge sigh of relief with those two big jumps behind her, and then continued to watch with butterflies as she skated the rest of her programme, and only really relaxed when she was finished.

She was marvellous, once again, with such quality and self-assurance, and honestly, I'm running out of descriptives for her, because I think I've used most of them already. Her jumps look so secure, as she comes flying into them from her transitions and just lifts up into the air, making it look easy. She also gets such height on the initial leap into her flying sit spin! For me, she was in a class of her own in the free skate, when it came to her performance. I don't know enough to be able to break it down technically, and to say why and what it was that made her look so good to me, but I do know that I loved what I saw from her today, and considering the astonishing level of the competition, well, do I need words?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
, well, do I need words?

Fortune Favours the Brave, and this goes for Anna and Aleksandra too.

These girls make it all look so easy, but no doubt their level of skills came with lots of falls, bruises and pain. But they have each other, both to spar with, to challenge and to comfort. The three of them together in the hot seat, in the medal ceremony and afterwards, what an experience this Grand Prix series and finals must have been. They didn't let themselves, their trainers nor their federation down and changed female figure skating forever.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I just read an interview with Aliona where she said that Yuzuru allowed her and Daria Pavliuchenko to look through the bags of toys that his fans threw for him and take something they liked. She said they almost got stuck in the huge piles :laugh: but they ended up with what translated to four "napkin holders," so I'm assuming tissue box covers.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I feel so grateful to have been lucky enough to see ALL of the ladies last night. What a competition! That said, Alena was just stunning. She is so quick on the ice and her movements are so crisp. The floating quality of her skating is very evident live. She is a star for sure!

It was amazing and we should be grateful on many levels. Alyiona it's a little genius to me. She and her teammates are classy and fun too.

Batsuchan

Medalist
I just read an interview with Aliona where she said that Yuzuru allowed her and Daria Pavliuchenko to look through the bags of toys that his fans threw for him and take something they liked. She said they almost got stuck in the huge piles :laugh: but they ended up with what translated to four "napkin holders," so I'm assuming tissue box covers.

I saw this interview as well--apparently Dasha almost lost her shoes in the pile of toys! Still, it would've been HILARIOUS if they had gotten stuck and had to wait for some people to come and pull them out. :rofl: I feel like that is exactly the kind of thing that would happen to Aliona though! :biggrin:

Some other stuff:

1) I forgot to mention it yesterday, but Aliona finally won the PCS battle in the FS, and she was the ONLY skater to score above 70 in PCS!
It's what she deserves! :yes2:

2) Selfie with Yuzu: :love:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B51HKSKp5To/
(If you can't tell, Aliona is closest to the camera, with the grey sweater with the yellow stripe on the arm.)

3) Organizing a jump photo with Nathan:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B50r2OjJewx/ :luv17:

4) New video interview (translation is in the comments):
https://www.instagram.com/p/B50dyLiov1G/

I'm glad to hear that Aliona knows that she needs to learn a quad. She won this time around because Sasha and Anna made mistakes (like they did at JGPF last year), but Aliona can't always rely on others making mistakes. If she wants to keep winning, she will have to increase her technical content. :yes:

From what I could tell of the auto-translated Russian comments on the Channel 1 FS video, TAT suggested that Aliona should be able to learn how to do a quad flip because she gets so much height on her 3F. I still am a bit worried that trying a 4F will mess up her gorgeous 3F, but I also feel like her 3S is not that high, so a 4S might be hard. I don't know... :think: Realistically speaking, though, if she hasn't been actively working on a quad already, she probably won't have an opportunity to do so until after Worlds, or possibly between Euros and Worlds (of course, assuming she makes those teams). Personally, I think it might be better to stabilize her existing content and aim to do it completely clean this year and work on a quad over the summer...

I'm eagerly awaiting banquet photos but haven't seen any yet! :biggrin:

Batsuchan

Medalist
Also - did anyone else notice that part of Aliona's hair was pink? Like the very edge of her bun. :laugh: :laugh:
It was like when she had green hair at JGPF 2017. :laugh:

Azikin

Medalist
If she wants to keep winning, she will have to increase her technical content.

Hmmmm, as a current world record holder, I'm not sure she needs to be worried about increasing her technical content. As her PCS can still increase, she's capable of scoring 250 points without a quad.. And how many guys can consistently score over 250 points, let alone girls? And if some girl does, can she keep doing it when hit by puberty? I think Alenka is quite OK without a quad...

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm glad to hear that Aliona knows that she needs to learn a quad. She won this time around because Sasha and Anna made mistakes (like they did at JGPF last year), but Aliona can't always rely on others making mistakes. If she wants to keep winning, she will have to increase her technical content. :yes:

From what I could tell of the auto-translated Russian comments on the Channel 1 FS video, TAT suggested that Aliona should be able to learn how to do a quad flip because she gets so much height on her 3F. I still am a bit worried that trying a 4F will mess up her gorgeous 3F, but I also feel like her 3S is not that high, so a 4S might be hard. I don't know... :think: Realistically speaking, though, if she hasn't been actively working on a quad already, she probably won't have an opportunity to do so until after Worlds, or possibly between Euros and Worlds (of course, assuming she makes those teams). Personally, I think it might be better to stabilize her existing content and aim to do it completely clean this year and work on a quad over the summer... :biggrin:

So, originally I thought a flip as well. But I saw something intriguing in her warm ups. She had a really delayed rotation for her 3Lz. So much so that she had enough time to put a whole extra rotation into the jump without any additional height. There is one instance specifically but she did it a few times where the lutz just looked... ready, almost. I know her lutz edge is poor, but it seems like, if they’re working a lot on the lutz to improve the edge, it may actually be a pretty good way to go. I also pick out her 3T. It is always higher than the first jump in the combo. The flip she has this sort of hammer so it makes me think it may actually not be as simple.

Also, now that Aliona has swept the Grand Prix Series, there’s something I’m thinking of that I said at the beginning of the season. She got her 3A out of nowhere. She said she landed it on the second attempt trying it, and she didn’t bother with a harness. She owed this to newfound determination following the test skates, and while obviously there is self motivation, I think Eteri is a genius.

I remember saying that there was no way her FS was a program from Sambo-70, considering the 3-2 combo at the beginning. I thought it was still being changed and reworked or that Aliona was injured. How do you do a FS in this senior’s field where girls are doing 4-3 combos and 3-3 combos and nowhere in the top of the seniors field you see a double besides an Axel? Even without the quads, there had to be a better way to manage her technical base value and her jumps.

But there was an interview with Daniil and he said you cannot force a student to jump a quad or a triple axel. They have to want to and then the coaches will assist. Aliona was OBVIOUSLY capable of the 3A, she was just psychologically not ready. I think that Eteri and Daniil gave her an intentionally weak program perfectly set up to maximize her BV if the 3-2 was a 3A-2T. They knew she could do it. All that was left was to just do it. And having that 3-2 seems, compared to her training mates almost shameful. She knew she would lose. For fear of getting left behind you as an individual are motivated to work harder, to try things you’re afraid of. We know her mentality... you do not compete for second.

LuffyJackson

Rinkside
Hmmmm, as a current world record holder, I'm not sure she needs to be worried about increasing her technical content. As her PCS can still increase, she's capable of scoring 250 points without a quad.. And how many guys can consistently score over 250 points, let alone girls? And if some girl does, can she keep doing it when hit by puberty? I think Alenka is quite OK without a quad...

I agree with this so much, if we analyze her protocols she actually has never had a squeaky clean FS with maximum GOE, she got StSq Level 3 for her GPF FS, UR-ed 3A in NHK and FinTrophy, and carrots in IDF 's combo.. i think she can reach 250 if she continue improving her stamina and technique without risking a new ultra-C element....

I do not think she absolutely did not need a quad, she definitely more than capable, but it is not worth the risk in the middle of the season, i had a war flashback with her withdrawing because of injuries :(

Fluture

Record Breaker
Actually, as an Aliona fan, I do NOT want her to get a quad right now. The Olympics are two years away still and with her current technical layout, she‘s doing just fine. She‘s just won GPF with two record scores after all. Sure, she won‘t win every competition with the technical layout she has but the goal shouldn‘t be winning everything anyway. Pacing is a wonderful thing and I believe it is ever more important in the skating world we have now - full of ultra c elements. No need to risk injury now and force a quad. She was injured last season already. No, I want Aliona to keep her layout just the way it is at the moment and just work on perfecting it. If in one year she realises she can‘t win anything without a quad, yes, then absolutely go for it. But now? Just not worth the risk.

LuffyJackson

Rinkside

As an ex-athlete nothing made me more sad than this phrase, winning because of somebody's mistake, she won because she had far superior components in FS, far superior elements in her SP (she break her own WR), the others making mistake does not make Alyona's winning at the expense of other's 'mercy', what made her continue to thrive even after watching the others made mistake? how could she land 3As when Sasha couldn't and land a perfect combo when Rika couldn't? that is the reason she's winning, and until the others can top her strategy, she will continue to win :agree:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
As an ex-athlete nothing made me more sad than this phrase, winning because of somebody's mistake, she won because she had far superior components in FS, far superior elements in her SP (she break her own WR), the others making mistake does not make Alyona's winning at the expense of other's 'mercy', what made her continue to thrive even after watching the others made mistake? how could she land 3As when Sasha couldn't and land a perfect combo when Rika couldn't? that is the reason she's winning, and until the others can top her strategy, she will continue to win :agree:

This is twisting Batsuchan's words. It was not said for the purpose of slandering Aliona's victory. It's not about looking into the past abut about looking into the future and considering strategy in long perspective. Which is what Aliona herself does.

macy

Record Breaker
from what little she said in an interview this weekend, i do think she's working on a quad. i always thought it would be a sal, but a flip from her would be lovely. i think it's her best jump. i sort of hope it's not a lutz, mainly because of the edge issues she's had.

i doubt she would include it anytime this season, but she knows she needs one in the future to keep up with Sasha and Anna. i think it's only a matter of time before they change the rules and allow quads in the SP, which only until then Aliona has the edge. she knows this and will need to be prepared.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I’m wondering if it could be a quad toe? Also, her sal is quite high when she does it as a solo jump - look at the size of it in her exhibition programs this season. Even the one she did at DOI was massive...I see potential, but she only now mastered her current content clean. Maybe she will want to skate it clean a few more times vs. adding in more content right away. She’s already upgraded 3x this season - first at test skates repeated lutz instead of toe, then at Finlandia adding 2 3As (swapping out a 2A and lutz), and then in France upgrading to a 3A in the SP. her magic truly shines through when she skates perfectly clean and allows her effortless skating to shine - jumps, transitions, etc. She and her team definitely know this and they have to be strategic when adding in new elements. She also has to make sure her component score doesn’t suffer, as it is majorly important in helping her close the gap against skaters with higher tech content.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
quad toe and quad sal IMO are biggest potentials. I think Tarasova even said Aliona can get a quad at the end of her 3F-3T combo, her 3T although a second jump, is just so big!

She'll need quads eventually. While Anna and Alexandra have not yet got all their weapons ready, Aliona has almost approached her maximum scoring potential.
GOE and PCS are already approaching their limits, so I expect further increase, but not a substantial one.
Her PCS I think will rise more, next season too, but TES wise right now it's practically maxed out, unless she gets a loop combo. That won't still be a big increase though.

so 85 - 162, I can see increasing a little more, but not substantially, unless new jumps come.
Whereas our Dragon queen, once she nails 3A in the short, and gets her free clean-ish, her scores will skyrocket, she will go into 80+ and 170+ easily.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I just saw the graphic that measures the height and distance of a jump applied to Sasha's quad flip from this weekend, and I noticed that the height she gets is very similar to the height Alyona gets on her 3A, give or take a few centimeters. I know every jump is different, but if she can get that much air time on an axel, I think she could definitely accomplish a quad, especially with the added assist of the toe pick if she goes for a toe jump. I'm not sure I want to see her go for it this season, but I think the potential is there.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I agree with this so much, if we analyze her protocols she actually has never had a squeaky clean FS with maximum GOE, she got StSq Level 3 for her GPF FS, UR-ed 3A in NHK and FinTrophy, and carrots in IDF 's combo.. i think she can reach 250 if she continue improving her stamina and technique without risking a new ultra-C element....

I do not think she absolutely did not need a quad, she definitely more than capable, but it is not worth the risk in the middle of the season, i had a war flashback with her withdrawing because of injuries :(

I agree and I feel like she absolutely should not attempt it this season, she should continue cleaning up her program and if she keeps consistently doing that she will continue to see a rise in GOE and PCS because the judges clearly love her skating just as much as the rest of us. I think winning worlds is possible without the technical risk and she can continue to up the technical content in the seasons to come, she has time. I so want her to be olympic champion, she really is such a beautiful skater.