Alena Kostornaia | Page 232 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Scott512

Record Breaker
There’s been some negativity around Aliona in the Russian Ladies thread recently, so I thought I’d bring back up this awesome review from Max Ambesi’s podcast after IDF (thanks to madmax again for translating!)

As the leader of the season she is now facing some harsher criticisms from before that I do not necessarily agree with, but everyone has their own opinion. Just spreading this positivity of these 2 great Italian sports commentators who appreciate how special Aliona is across all aspects of her skating - her SS, jumps, performance, musicality, etc.

Its really bizarre and I never expected Aiiona to get criticised in RLT for her skating skills musicality and interpretation. Again bizarre. She has the best skating skill and is the most complete skater in ladies figure skating.

McBibus

On the Ice
those fans of those skaters can’t handle the reality

Somehow expected.
When you see Trusova landing quad after quad you can't tell thei're not there, but when more subtle skills are involved you can lie to yourself and create a narrative where Trusova is a better performer than Aliona and GOE and PCS are "gifts" from a biased panel.
If you don't want to see you will not see.

Trusova is an example of course, but it fits well because she's superior to Aliona on some aspects and inferior in others.
We are all biased to our favorite but, for example, denying that Sasha's jumps have both outstanding eight and rotation speed would be refusing to see, like denying that Aliona has an exceptional ability to carry speed out of her jumps.

macy

Record Breaker
I love how much thought she gave to each of her answers! And it‘s so wonderful to have so many news recently, even though I‘m still dying to know what her SP will be. Hopefully something lyrical.

Also, that interview with the Olympicchannel was amazing. Showed again how mature, grounded, intelligent and articulate she is. She has a very realistic outlook on life and skating and I‘m sure she‘ll be a great neurosurgeon! It still makes me a bit sad, though, to hear that she doesn’t think you can win when you‘re older because there are unstoppable 15 year olds with quads. It is, again, realistic in the current competitive environment but I do wish it wasn‘t like that. I understand and respect Aliona‘s wish to dedicate her life to something other than skating after Beijing but I keep imagining the kind of maturity, vulnerability and expression she could show after more seasons of artistic growth...

she would be the next Kostner, hands down. i would put money on it.

dhjh811

On the Ice
I am just bewildered by the statements that Aliona lacks innate musicality and artistry. We know what we see, she is simply amazing. She has great skating skills and beautiful posture. Although she might not be able to as much as when she didn't jump triple axels in her programs, she truly expresses every accent of the music through her body. I actually like that she doesn't have over-the-top expressions, her eyes and body already tell the full story. How many skaters, let alone juniors, could execute such a crisp and dynamic Adios Nonino? Look at her use of shoulders, neck, arms right down to the fingers. This girl is a gem.

macy

Record Breaker
I am just bewildered by the statements that Aliona lacks innate musicality and artistry. We know what we see, she is simply amazing. She has great skating skills and beautiful posture. Although she might not be able to as much as when she didn't jump triple axels in her programs, she truly expresses every accent of the music through her body. I actually like that she doesn't have over-the-top expressions, her eyes and body already tell the full story. How many skaters, let alone juniors, could execute such a crisp and dynamic Adios Nonino? Look at her use of shoulders, neck, arms right down to the fingers. This girl is a gem.

You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches. :)

SkateSkates

Medalist

100% agree! But as was said earlier, people see what they want to see. Luckily most people see what we see, including judges, officials, commentators, retired skaters... 😀

Spectator
So she's giving up her God given talent as a figure skater to become a neurosurgeon...God I hope there's some responsible adults in her life.

macy

Record Breaker
So she's giving up her God given talent as a figure skater to become a neurosurgeon...God I hope there's some responsible adults in her life.

what does this mean? quite snarky for your first post on this forum, and in Aliona's fan fest at that.

She is a very level headed and smart girl who knows there is more to life than sports. it's absolutely ok and wise to have a dream outside of skating. figure skating should not be her identity. i'm not sure what you mean by hoping she has responsible adults in her life, but i would assume she does if they support her ambition of being a neurosurgeon.

For future reference, fan fests are for raving about and supporting your favorite skaters. critical and negative posts are not allowed in them. this post would be more appropriate in the Russian Ladies thread.

McBibus

On the Ice

1) Being a neurosurgeon could be her real dream and she has any right to pursue it. It's a very difficult path that requires dedication and sacrifice
2) Did you understand why she thinks her career time at the top is limited?
3) Aliona looks more responsible than some adults I know (maybe me included), and looking forward to her life after skating is proof of that
100) There is not a day I would not like to see her skate: there's magic in that.
It will be a sad day when she will leave the ice for good, but with her skating she gave me a lot of emotions. I've been lucky enough to meet her and look right into her eyes.
I know one day there will be someone sick and in need of help in the body and the mind, and Aliona will enter the room, take his/her hand and say "I'm Dr. Kostornaya. I will take care of you: everything will be alright" and I can't be so selfish to take that away for one more year of skating.

patee

On the Ice
Country
Hungary

She's not giving up anything. I don't know where you get that from but I suggest you try to seek information before you start spreading fake news, especially in Aliona's fan fest...

Fluture

Record Breaker
I know one day there will be someone sick and in need of help in the body and the mind, and Aliona will enter the room, take his/her hand and say "I'm Dr. Kostornaya. I will take care of you: everything will be alright" and I can't be so selfish to take that away for one more year of skating.

THIS. :clap:

Aliona is a fantastic skater and her potential is virtually limitless - she could do so much in this sport technically but especially artistically. She‘s a gem, a wonderful athlete and a rare talent. I’ve seen her live twice, as a junior debuting her fresh programs and exhausted at the Europeans this season - meaning: not her stand-out performances by any means. But she was still exuding confidence and charisma and star quality. So: course I‘ll be sad to see her go! Of course I‘ll be wondering what else she might have been able to show had she decided to stick around longer.

BUT at the same time, so many athletes struggle when competitive sport is over for them, they don‘t know what to do with their lives because skating is all they‘ve ever known. We see the devastating effects of that, we’ve seen them very recently. Aliona has a plan, she has a vision and a dream, something that goes beyond skating. How on earth is that anything but great? How could anyone not be happy for her? She’ll have a bright career in medicine and she‘ll help many people. I don‘t want to diminish the importance of sport - for the athletes moments like the Olympic opening ceremony or winning Worlds for their country is something they‘ll never forget. But there‘s a life outside and after sport and the colour of a medal shouldn‘t define who you are. Aliona has realised this and - at 16 - has decided to hold that decision of when to leave in her hands and her hands only. And I personally don‘t see how we as fans could be anything less than proud of her for that.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
She's not giving up anything. I don't know where you get that from but I suggest you try to seek information before you start spreading fake news, especially in Aliona's fan fest...

Sorry to butt into the fest, but I saw the above discussion in passing and to be honest, it immediately made me think of a favourite fictional character's words, which Alena appears to be looking to emulate...

"I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me."

And good for her :thumbsup:

Spectator
what does this mean? quite snarky for your first post on this forum, and in Aliona's fan fest at that.

She is a very level headed and smart girl who knows there is more to life than sports. it's absolutely ok and wise to have a dream outside of skating. figure skating should not be her identity. i'm not sure what you mean by hoping she has responsible adults in her life, but i would assume she does if they support her ambition of being a neurosurgeon.

For future reference, fan fests are for raving about and supporting your favorite skaters. critical and negative posts are not allowed in them. this post would be more appropriate in the Russian Ladies thread.

Yeah I was bit out of line posting that, tends to happen when I've had a few...Anyways, she's obviously the kind of girl who's going to succeed at whatever she puts her mind to. I'm just being selfish and trying to cope with the idea of her being done competing in only about two years, skaters like her don't come along often...

macy

Record Breaker
Yeah I was bit out of line posting that, tends to happen when I've had a few...Anyways, she's obviously the kind of girl who's going to succeed at whatever she puts her mind to. I'm just being selfish and trying to cope with the idea of her being done competing in only about two years, skaters like her don't come along often...

i understand the feeling. it's bittersweet for sure and can be initially frustrating for some of us that want to see her for many years past 2022. she is such a rare talent and could really have long standing success if she stays and become legendary.

i've said it here before, but she can always change her mind too. she already has regarding her career after skating once or twice. but what if she doesn't make the team? what if she finds a medal of another color or even being off the podium is harder to accept than initially thought? she is only 16 after all. of course her current plan could stay the same, i'm just saying there's always a chance something else might happen :)

Fluture

Record Breaker
Yes, Eteri herself replied to a comment on her insta

But I just don‘t get it, they had the program(s) ready and the transfer period is already over, isn‘t it? I‘m worried for Aliona, I just hope everything works out for her.