Alexandra Stepanova & Ivan Bukin | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Alexandra Stepanova & Ivan Bukin

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Gutted they are in 4th at the moment in the GP final [emoji20] Really hope they can make up for it in the free. Their programmes are just so more exciting than most of the others this year!

The difference between the first four dance teams is very small, anything can happen still.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
The difference between the first four dance teams is very small, anything can happen still.

I had hoped so but looks like it wasn’t meant to be - they were not as sharp as they have been but I feel like the judges really had it in for them this competition! Really thought they would had a great chance to challenge for gold and silver here - hopefully this will just push them to work even harder for the second half of the season.

musicfan80

Medalist
I really think and hop that they will improve by Europeans and especially Worlds. I can't see how their ranking won't improve. :yes:

sunn1ly

On the Ice
I think it was pressure and nerves. Hope they get themselves together and show their beautiful dances on Nationals , Europeans and Worlds. They have to learn to let go of the pressure and enjoy. They have fought so many years for the opportunity to fight for top ranks, they have to be more fierce than ever, have to skate on the edge and perform, even if they make mistake being cautious is worse.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
CBC commentary for their GPF FD is at 13:04, plus there's a warm-up clip at 3:53 (the password is dance): https://vimeo.com/303584709 Their RD wasn't broadcast on Canadian television.

rush

Spectator
A Road to Korea
Series of short documentaries about Olympic athletes
http://vimeo.com/306842094
Parole
Step
I hated Figure Skating. My Grandma kicked me to the ice.
I was a Single Skater. And it was a first time for me, to take hand of a boy.
Childish behaviour, arm twisting, pinching, fighting with pillows. I don`t know. I`m what I am.
Witch!
Don`t forget that I am the best partner (laughing)
Vanya smiles broadly, he is like Sun. He is very strong, reliable. If I stand with another partner, I just realize that my partner is ... "Heaven and Earth".
Sasha is very caring, 100 %, she is kind.
First I fell in love with Vanya and after my feelings were gone, suddenly (as it always happens) Vanya liked for me. Of course, nothing happened as a result. From our childhood we were together as brother and sister, every morning went together for trainings, especially winter mornings
Cold, snow covered streets, 15 minutes, we are kids, we go 20 minutes
We walk and Vanya goes forward, I can`t catch up, sometimes he even forgets about me. It was so offensive. I shout "Wait for me!"
My father, when we started skating, said "Vanya, I will not help you. If you achieve something you know that it was your achievement. I can only give advice to you. "
He never was at our trainings, though I think it would help us. Now from time to time he comes. Seldom, but effective.
There is no limit to perfect something. We don`t have to be "It`s Sasha, it`s Vanya". We are together. We are the one. Every day, excepting Sunday and Saturday, we spend the whole day on the ice rink. We used to doing it, we can`t stop, it`s a high tempo, but it gives us an energy. It`s our life. It`s more than a goal. It`s ...
meaning of life
Yes.

Sorry for my grammar, I use English seldom.
To know Ivan wasn`t able to go to Olympics :(
Feel free to edit or use for subtitles.

rush

Spectator
Document about them on Match https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nqanywoqj4
It's unfortunately geo blocked... So if anyone of you could try to watch it and at least make us some highliths of it that would be appreciated.

http://vimeo.com/306846166
password
Step

Ivan hated figure skating when he was a child. His grandmoher forced him to skate.
He often was abroad with parents and wasn`t diligent at all.
He can`t jump. He only had doubles at the age of 10.
Too little too late, so to speak.
Then mother of Elena Ilinykh sugested Andrey to try Ivan as ice dance partner.
Andrey spent a lot of time teaching Ivan.
After 2 years Elena Ilinykh refused to skate with Ivan. They tried other girls but no result.
A friend of family sent them a disk with Alexandra`s skating, they liked her instantly.
Alexandra and Ivan are very patient with each other.
Their first and only trainers Zhuk-Svinin knew Ivan since he was born. They are his father`s friends. Zhuk said "Vanya is like me, very emotional." Sasha and Svinin are calm. "We are from Saint Petersburg".
Then about IOC.
This situation made them stronger.

NicolettaL

Final Flight
http://vimeo.com/306846166
password
Step

Ivan hated figure skating when he was a child. His grandmoher forced him to skate.
He often was abroad with parents and wasn`t diligent at all.
He can`t jump. He only had doubles at the age of 10.
Too little too late, so to speak.
Then mother of Elena Ilinykh sugested Andrey to try Ivan as ice dance partner.
Andrey spent a lot of time teaching Ivan.
After 2 years Elena Ilinykh refused to skate with Ivan. They tried other girls but no result.
A friend of family sent them a disk with Alexandra`s skating, they liked her instantly.
Alexandra and Ivan are very patient with each other.
Their first and only trainers Zhuk-Svinin knew Ivan since he was born. They are his father`s friends. Zhuk said "Vanya is like me, very emotional." Sasha and Svinin are calm. "We are from Saint Petersburg".
Then about IOC.
This situation made them stronger.

Thank you so much :)

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
So I keep reading on some threads that Stepanova’s skating skills are poor - is this really true? I can see that S/K are quality skaters and have a great knee bend but Nikita can look quite sloppy sometimes so I just can’t see how some people think S/K are SO much better than S/B and that Sasha’s SS are atrocious. I like both teams but to me S/B are so much more interesting so I don’t know if that’s blinding me or if all the hate towards Stepanova is just angry S/K fans?

vikarious

Spectator
SO happy to see them bounce back after GPF and nats! Level 4s on everything except the one foot sequence as well! Great momentum going into worlds

bramweld

Record Breaker
So I keep reading on some threads that Stepanova’s skating skills are poor - is this really true? I can see that S/K are quality skaters and have a great knee bend but Nikita can look quite sloppy sometimes so I just can’t see how some people think S/K are SO much better than S/B and that Sasha’s SS are atrocious. I like both teams but to me S/B are so much more interesting so I don’t know if that’s blinding me or if all the hate towards Stepanova is just angry S/K fans?

S/K have greater SS in terms of knee bend, length of edge and glide, however IMHO S/B are better performers. Stepanova has very little in terms of a running edge or glide so their skating tends to look choppy and lack flow. But they've achieved much regardless. Their team has carefully given them programs to conceal those issues but when you're in the top flight of skaters at EC or WC it becomes glaringly obvious. So for them they need to be on top of their levels and GOE.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
S/K have greater SS in terms of knee bend, length of edge and glide, however IMHO S/B are better performers. Stepanova has very little in terms of a running edge or glide so their skating tends to look choppy and lack flow. But they've achieved much regardless. Their team has carefully given them programs to conceal those issues but when you're in the top flight of skaters at EC or WC it becomes glaringly obvious. So for them they need to be on top of their levels and GOE.

Thanks so much for explaining this! I’ve watched back both S/K and S/B’s programmes since I posted my previous comment and can definitely see the better SS that S/K have but I just wasn’t sure how much better they really were since I’m not an expert, so your explanation is super helpful.

I agree - IMO S/B have more charisma, are better performers and have the better, more interesting programmes but judges are really into the SS since the French arrived back in 2015, which can sometimes leave for boring performances winning over the more intriguing innovative ones (like H/D this year whom I normally really enjoy but that programme is not good).

Gotlev

Driving the Zamboni home
On the Ice
Looking at worlds preds it's nice to see many people have S/B for bronze!
A 3-couples podium just won't do in these worlds. More people need to receive medals! They deserve it! I can't choose and I want S/B also with a medal!

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Good luck to Alexandra and Ivan. Their RD is one of my favourites this season and Alexandra's dress is simply gorgeous.

BTW, I didn't see anyone mention it here, but in January and February ISU issued 4 videos about programs of skaters representing each category and talking about their programs this season. Ice dance is represented by Alexandra and Ivan, Pairs by James/Cipres, Ladies by Rika Kihira and Men by Nathan Chen.

This is my program: Alexandra Stepanova & Ivan Bukin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngKWkL4WZpc

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
They were stellar in the RD. Tomorrow's battle for maintaining the podium will be epic. Good luck!