Alexey Erokhov | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Alexey Erokhov

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I know it's a little premature getting my hopes up, but this is a fanfest after all, and these articles don't exactly help 😅:

October revolution in figure skating: a new favourite among men. How Alexey Erokhov made a serious bid for a trip to Beijing 2022
[...] unlike women's single skating, where the hierarchy is strict and sensationalism is almost unrealistic, men actually have no one in the national team who would now manage Erokhov's content. Even the recognized leader Mikhail Kolyada recently received 296.5 points in St. Petersburg, making only two quadruples in two days. Samarin has a quadruple lutz and strong programs, but there is no stability. So it turns out that Erokhov at the moment is the best Russian figure skater. And he tramples his path to the Olympics in a detour. But he moves faster than the rest.

The Russian Cup is a qualifying stage for the pre-Olympic national championship, which will be held at the end of December in St. Petersburg. Participants of the Grand Prix series get on it automatically, but the rest will be chosen among the most successful participants of the Cup. Of course, Erokhov is on this list - he is the leader of the standings. And he has all the chances to get into the coveted three, which will go to Beijing. If that's how it goes, it will be the most beautiful story in Russian figure skating in years.

How Alexey Erokhov becomes the main contender for the Olympics - A breakthrough at the Cup of Russia
[...] Erokhov made an incredible breakthrough this season. His recent performances allow us to talk about him as a real contender for the Olympics. Alexey has a solid technical potential, and most importantly, shows good stability on the elements. His trip to Beijing will no longer come as a surprise to anyone.

The 22-year-old figure skater is no worse than Mikhail Kolyada, Dmitry Aliev, Alexander Samarin and other leaders of our team. And in some ways even surpasses them. Still, no one has scored such points this season as Erokhov at the Russian Cup in Sochi. Of course, at home tournaments, refereeing is more loyal, but in general, it reflects the real level of skaters quite accurately. In addition to Erokhov, this season only Evgeni Semenenko showed three clean quadruple jumps at the Finlandia Trophy. The rest of the Russians are not yet happy. It is all the more disappointing that Alexei did not get a single stage of the Grand Prix. In this form, he would compete for medals even at Skate America, where the competition was off the charts.
For the sake of interest, we compare the results of Erokhov at the Cup of Russia with the results of the participants of the first stage of the Grand Prix.
Unattainable for Alexey would be only the winner of the tournament Vincent Zhou, who skated lights out with five quads. The skater could easily bypass the rest of the participants. Second-place Shoma Uno scored 270.68 points and bronze medalist Nathan Chen scored 269.37. It is clear that Erokhov is unlikely to get 277 in the international arena. But he could have scored Chen and Uno level points. In Las Vegas, only Zhou managed to cleanly perform two quads in the short program. More than two quads in the free skate landed only Nathan and again Vincent. That is, Erokhov performs at the level of world tops.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Heh, I don’t think Erokhov is up there with Chen or Uno yet, but, like, besting Kondratyuk and Semeneko in the internal pecking order could very well happen.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Heh, I don’t think Erokhov is up there with Chen or Uno yet, but, like, besting Kondratyuk and Semeneko in the internal pecking order could very well happen.
But can we agree he is at least on par with Chen in terms of costumes? As in "I've found my favourite shirt, and now I'll skate in it forevermore?" :laugh:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I sincerely hope RusFed gives Alexey a Challenger so that he can get GP spots next season, as well as a tech minimum for this season just in case.

Edit: My bad, he's already been given one. Good luck!

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Yes, Alexey got CS Warsaw Cup in mid-November! :jump: Fingers crossed he can reproduce his performances from the Cup of Russia stages also in international competition. If he goes clean, that should get him into the current top 10 season's best results, even taking into account the bonus points he got at CoR and the home scoring. Hopefully he will be able to make a strong case for himself to get a GP assignment for next season. And yes, the technical minimums, just in case...

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Well, here is Alexey's FS from Warsaw:

It could have gone better, the jumps were all there in the warm-up but it didn't work out during the performance. Lyosha seemed a bit nervous which is understandable given that this is his first international competition in three years. Also, judge no. 5, -2 GOE for that clean 4S, really? :cautious:
On the plus side, Alexey fought for his jumps till the end, improved on his spin levels and achieved tech minimums for Euros and Worlds in the SP and tech minimums for Euros in the FS.
The next important competition will be Russian Nationals for which he qualified as no. 1 in the Cup of Russia series ranking. Everything is still possible if he skates there like he did at Cup of Russia, so the main thing is to stay healthy and continue the good work!

Last edited:

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
It is already a great victory that after four years Alexey made it back to the National Championships, and whatever the outcome, he can be very proud of himself. That said, we saw at Cup of Russia what he is capable of, and he can still fight for the podium here! So good luck, smooth ice, and only happy faces in the K&C! 🍀🍀🍀

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Wonderful SP performance from Alexey! :yahoo:🔥 It sounds like a platitude but he really jumps those quads like triples, the flow he has out of them is amazing.
He said in the interview with Max and Rita he is going for the three quads, one trixel program tomorrow, so his standard layout, I guess. He did it more or less cleanly two times already this season, he can do it again! :pray: Looking forward to that gorgeous 4Lo most of all.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I really liked his SP today. Really close scores to the top 3 reflect that ease with which he had skated. Hope to see a great free from him tomorrow! Hoping for a medal for Erokhov.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Alexey's statement after the FS:
"There was not enough concentration in the free skate. I stopped focussing after the elements were done. I relaxed knowing that the difficult elements were behind me. I didn't think about the Olympics at all, only about the skate. I want to continue to work and go to the important competitions. At least get started. My performance is definitely not a sensation for me. I know what I am capable of."

I am so glad that he continues to fight and is confident in his abilities. He has achieved so much already from the point when at this time last season he couldn't jump lutz or flip due to his recurring foot injury, to now having a beautiful, stable 4Lo and three backloaded combos in the FS. There will come a day again when he can put everything together in the important competitions as well. Until then, there is still a chance to shine at the Russian Cup Final, where the pressure will not be as high, and maybe even fight for a spot on the national/reserve team to get some funding. :pray: :cheer2:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
After a good SP I was hoping Alesha can skate a clean free and clench off a medal. He was doing so well this season!
Hope he keeps his spirits high and comes back stronger next season.