Aljona Savchenko & Bruno Massot | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Aljona Savchenko & Bruno Massot

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I do wonder if this makes another season less likely. With a new baby on the way, traveling all over the world for competitions is probably looking a lot less appealing.

ragdoll

On the Ice
I do wonder if this makes another season less likely. With a new baby on the way, traveling all over the world for competitions is probably looking a lot less appealing.

Unfortunately for us fans, that may be the case. I think we can assume that both Bruno's and Sophie's parents want them to go back to France.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Right now at least they are in Oberstdorf training, I think for an ice show in South Korea that is happening soon. Idk, another season might be possible, it's not like Aliona is pregnant here and I think she and Bruno, if they decide to retire, would still skate together in shows the next two years or so, because the time to do it and earn money is also limited - which means travelling. Other male skaters lived the family life before, it's not necessarily a career ending thing.

libecha

Rinkside
Right now at least they are in Oberstdorf training, I think for an ice show in South Korea that is happening soon. Idk, another season might be possible, it's not like Aliona is pregnant here and I think she and Bruno, if they decide to retire, would still skate together in shows the next two years or so, because the time to do it and earn money is also limited - which means travelling. Other male skaters lived the family life before, it's not necessarily a career ending thing.

No, but it does mean having a baby in a country where they don’t speak the language and don’t have any family support (read: baby-sitting). And then he’s going to fly off to competitions leaving her stuck at home with no help, or they drag the baby on flights? To do that for shows that put good money in the bank, sure, but for competitors with no real
point since he’s already achieved his dream, she may not be a fan of that. And I imagine he cares quite a bit what she thinks. I guess we’ll see! I think the back was already a bigger issue even before this news, though.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
No, but it does mean having a baby in a country where they don’t speak the language and don’t have any family support (read: baby-sitting). And then he’s going to fly off to competitions leaving her stuck at home with no help, or they drag the baby on flights? To do that for shows that put good money in the bank, sure, but for competitors with no real
point since he’s already achieved his dream, she may not be a fan of that. And I imagine he cares quite a bit what she thinks. I guess we’ll see! I think the back was already a bigger issue even before this news, though.

I don't know Bruno or his partner personally or their family situation so I cannot go and comment on these details. I just think if he wants to continue competing, it's not an impossible thing to do.

esteticlove

Final Flight
I find it fascinating how supportive their life-partners have been through this journey. Somewhere on IG I saw a video of all competitions moments, where Sophie and Liam were rooting for Aljona and Bruno. At the beginning no one had faith in this pair but they proved everyone wrong and showed what real sport partnership means. They made such a great team.

Also, I was finally able to watch their SP from the Worlds and this was the first performance, where I paid more attention to Bruno than to Aljona. Especially after the SBS jumps he was so invested into the program. He is actually quite artistic, I guess it has been the pressure up until now to live up to Aljona's and others' expectations.

MDIslander

Rinkside

I went back and watched Meagan Duhamel's recent interview - her best guess is they'll take off 1 or 2 years from competitions and do Ice shows (Bruno's IGstory Wednesday was about being on a plane to Korea) ... then they'll be on a mission to be in Beijing '22 :points: - she added that if Aljona wants to do competitions - Bruno will go along with her game plan - because it's Queen Aljona's "show" :laugh:

MDIslander

Rinkside
No, but it does mean having a baby in a country where they don’t speak the language and don’t have any family support (read: baby-sitting). And then he’s going to fly off to competitions leaving her stuck at home with no help, or they drag the baby on flights? To do that for shows that put good money in the bank, sure, but for competitors with no real point since he’s already achieved his dream, she may not be a fan of that. And I imagine he cares quite a bit what she thinks. I guess we’ll see! I think the back was already a bigger issue even before this news, though.

I may be reading too much into their IG stories & posts back in Feb - but I think the news of Sophie's pregnancy was shared with their skating "family" esp with Bruno's Caen/Volants/Dammarie family. His childhood buddy Jérémie recently had a baby and there seemed to be hints dropped that Bruno & Sophie would be joining the "parenthood team" soon ... again I may've read too much into their posts.

libecha

Rinkside
They are going to be featured stars on the Holiday on Ice tour in Germany/Austria from November to February next season. Aljona says they are taking a break from competing of unknown duration.

MDIslander

Rinkside
They are going to be featured stars on the Holiday on Ice tour in Germany/Austria from November to February next season. Aljona says they are taking a break from competing of unknown duration.

Wow! I just came across this article at ln-online: Die Eiskunstlauf-Olympiasieger Aljona Savchenko und Bruno Massot sind die neuen Stars von „Holiday on Ice“ - Olympic champions Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot are the new stars of "Holiday on Ice". "We are going to take a break from competition for a while - how long it lasts, we do not know yet", said the 34-year-old Savchenko on Wednesday the German Press Agency in Hamburg. "We are very grateful that we can give something back to the German fans."

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I've just read that too. It's great that the fans get to see them tour with Holiday on Ice, but I'm really sceptical about a comeback now, it reeks of retirement. I cannot see them coming back in 2019/2020.

libecha

Rinkside
The DEU is organizing a press conference with Aljona and Bruno this Thursday (and I would bet Lorenz/Polizoakis splitting will also come up). Also, several weeks ago Bruno said he is moving to La Chaux-de-Fonds to begin a coaching career with JF Ballester at his skating club, but nobody noticed, probably because he said it on Swiss regional TV and not in English. Aljona said she would follow him but the rink there is kept at too cold a temperature to practice high level moves.

musicfan80

Medalist
Somewhat surprised by this news - I was under the impression that Alexa and Chris would never leave Delilah - but I think this change will be for the better. I think Aljona will help them with packaging their programs and nailing their elements better.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
S/M were at Denis Ten's iceshow, and Aljona, as the social media expert, just delivers great content. I especially loved and Instagram story with sweet Elena Radionova. These two are so great together, what a duo. And yay for Denis Ten and his show in Kazakhstan. There seems to be not that much buzz about it as the shows in Japan, but it looks really cool! I wonder if it's broadcasted in Kazakhstan on TV?