Anastasia Shabotova | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Anastasia Shabotova

NaVi

Medalist
It's the rest of her jumps and her all around skating that needs work.

I don't know if she's currently training in Ukraine or at Snow Leopards, but either one is probably not where she needs to be if she wants to guarantee herself an Olympic birth. She still might make it but even if she does I'm skeptical she's going to ever get very high scores(say, 200+) unless she works on her skating and has a coach with some stature advocating for her.
Can't help but think that she really ought to find a new coach. I'd probably go with either Plushenko, Rozanov, or Volkov. She should be able to get around Ryabova's level.

Azikin

Medalist
Can't help but think that she really ought to find a new coach. I'd probably go with either Plushenko, Rozanov, or Volkov. She should be able to get around Ryabova's level.
She was with Panova when she was one of the top Russian prospects, too. It's kind of hard to understand why she is where she is now.. I guess it's not easy to change countries, you have to deal with lots of things, also puberty and I guess lack of competition and motivation also plays some role... it was very hard to see Nastya getting this kind of score, obviously it was hard for her, too...

Scott512

Record Breaker
Didn't Nastya get an Olympic birth for Ukraine?

I don't know how much of it is true but I've heard that some people in Ukraine are not that thrilled to have her because she's from Russia. I hope it's not true. All she can control is her skating.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Didn't Nastya get an Olympic birth for Ukraine?

I don't know how much of it is true but I've heard that some people in Ukraine are not that thrilled to have her because she's from Russia. I hope it's not true. All she can control is her skating.
Yes, she did. Now there will be at least six women from Russia at the olympics. Apart the three representing Russsia (or olympic comittee of Russia or whatever they will call them) there will be Nastya for the Ukraine, Viktoriia Safonova for Belarus and Ekaterina Kurakova for Poland. Plus theoretically Gubanova for Georgia but I think they will send Alina Urushadze even if Gubanova received citizenship already.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yes, she did. Now there will be at least six women from Russia at the olympics. Apart the three representing Russsia (or olympic comittee of Russia or whatever they will call them) there will be Nastya for the Ukraine, Viktoriia Safonova for Belarus and Ekaterina Kurakova for Poland. Plus theoretically Gubanova for Georgia but I think they will send Alina Urushadze even if Gubanova received citizenship already.
That's crazy 6 Russians in the Olympics. Well sort of anyway. ;)

I don't know if these athletes that have switched countries have switched their citizenships or they just get legal permission to represent another country athletically.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
That's crazy 6 Russians in the Olympics. Well sort of anyway. ;)

I don't know if these athletes that have switched countries have switched their citizenships or they just get legal permission to represent another country athletically.
At least Kurakova gained polish citizenship for sure, and I presume the others gained the other citizenship as well, otherwise it would not make much sense to fight for the onlympic spot as Belarus nor Ukraine have other lady who would fulfill the criteria for the olympics.

They also don't have to switch citizenship completely, russian law allows dual citizenship, you only has to announce the other to the authorities.

Last edited:

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
At least Kurakova gained polish citizenship for sure, and I presume the others gained the other citizenship as well , otherwise it would not make much sense to fight for the onlympic spot as Belarus nor Ukraine have other lady who would fulfill the criteria for the olympics.

They also don't have to switch citizenship completely, russian law allows dual citizenship, you only has to announce the other to the authorities.
Ukraine have other ladies and they will fight for the chance to go to the Olympics.
I'm sure, that Nastia will get her citizenship (or already has), but it's wrong to think, that it's her spot. And, by the way, dual citizenship is not allowed in Ukraine.

Scott512

Record Breaker
At least Kurakova gained polish citizenship for sure, and I presume the others gained the other citizenship as well, otherwise it would not make much sense to fight for the onlympic spot as Belarus nor Ukraine have other lady who would fulfill the criteria for the olympics.

Thanks for the information.

I liked the idea of dual citizenships.

Good luck to Anastasia.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Ukraine have other ladies and they will fight for the chance to go to the Olympics.
I'm sure, that Nastia will get her citizenship (or already has), but it's wrong to think, that it's her spot. And, by the way, dual citizenship is not allowed in Ukraine.
Many people in Ukraine are obviously very hostile to Nastya, but I can hardly imagine other lady skater, who could have a chance she has. She is unstable and probably will never represent assured success, but others I know mostly represent sure lack of success. There was a hope once in Arkhipova, but her era of unsuccess is too long.

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
Many people in Ukraine are obviously very hostile to Nastya, but I can hardly imagine other lady skater, who could have a chance she has. She is unstable and probably will never represent assured success, but others I know mostly represent sure lack of success. There was a hope once in Arkhipova, but her era of unsuccess is too long.
You said, that no ladies in Ukraine who would fulfill the criteria for the olympics. And it's not true. And Belarus also have.
Yes, Shabotova has more chances to get this spot, but it's not like she is the only one. She could have a bad day at nationals and Arkhipova could recover from her injuries and easily beat Shabotova. Even Andriichuk can.
You made it sound like Shabotova is the only strong girl in Ukraine and all the rest are extras. It's not true.
And, of course, I want everyone to be healthy, but it's life, so everything can happen. Anyway, Ukraine have more then 1 eligible girl, so no one will return the spot.

Azikin

Medalist
You said, that no ladies in Ukraine who would fulfill the criteria for the olympics. And it's not true. And Belarus also have.
Yes, Shabotova has more chances to get this spot, but it's not like she is the only one. She could have a bad day at nationals and Arkhipova could recover from her injuries and easily beat Shabotova. Even Andriichuk can.
You made it sound like Shabotova is the only strong girl in Ukraine and all the rest are extras. It's not true.
And, of course, I want everyone to be healthy, but it's life, so everything can happen. Anyway, Ukraine have more then 1 eligible girl, so no one will return the spot.
You're aware that this is her fanfest, a place to praise your favourite skater (as per forum guidelines), right? ;)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
It wasn't my intetion to make other ukrainian skaters look weak, but realistically Nastya is the one with the highest chance of them.

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
You're aware that this is her fanfest, a place to praise your favourite skater (as per forum guidelines), right? ;)
Of course, but even here it's not right to say, that this spot is hers. I hope Nastia thinks the same and for her national championship is not formality.
I'm not against Nastia. Not at all. I'm just surprised to read, that all ex-russian girls secured their spots. It's not true and not only for Nastia.