Anna Shcherbakova | Page 299 | Golden Skate

Anna Shcherbakova

streams4dreams

On the Ice
This is really not all that interesting, but I found it funny that I randomly came upon this. Here's an AI paper for video object removal using a video of Anna at Skate America.

https://youtu.be/92EHfgCO5-Q?si=CrVN3q8YYi1G3p9J&t=47 (If you go to the beginning, they use a video of Alexa and Chris Knierim)
This is really cool, and a great find! I guess Anna is really popular in all walks of life, including a Singapore lab developing computer vision :)

As a side note, this algorithm for object detection is super impressive, and I think suggests that judging some aspects of figure skating objectively (speeds, jump heights, edges) may be possible with current cameras and AI technology. Although it is quite funny how in the examples where they remove a skater, the shadow remains, as if a ghost were skating :)

Azikin

Medalist
This is really not all that interesting, but I found it funny that I randomly came upon this. Here's an AI paper for video object removal using a video of Anna at Skate America.

https://youtu.be/92EHfgCO5-Q?si=CrVN3q8YYi1G3p9J&t=47 (If you go to the beginning, they use a video of Alexa and Chris Knierim)
Well, she almost looks like created by AI.. :biggrin:
5Bv7oJQp_Zs.jpg

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
translation of excerpts from TV show that caused a clearly excessive response:

First, Tsiskaridze’s long introduction about how difficult it is for girls during puberty and how they fall under the bad influence of false friends, start smoking or taking some kind of weight loss drugs, which is absolutely forbidden to do, he specifically prohibits all this to his students, etc. .d.

Anna: I can say that girls who do gymnastics, figure skating and ballet all know this topic very well, they all understand that from childhood you are forced to monitor your weight. We are being weighed...

Tsiskaridze: You can’t imagine how they cry now when they go to weigh-in. But I force them to do it. You just need to weigh yourself.

Anna:
We had weigh-ins every day. At the same time, I started measuring my weight starting at the age of seven. But I’m probably one of those lucky girls [for whom this is not a problem]. Until a certain age, this was not a problem for me either. But I know girls who had to limit themselves [in food] starting at age 9. Their mothers watch them so that they do not steal some chocolate somewhere, and these problems begin with them from an early age.

I probably didn’t think about it at all until I was 15-16 years old...

Tsiskaridze: So you started puberty at that age?

Anna:
Yes, this happened directly during the Olympic season. Until that moment, I had a similar stories (Anna means that the story was similar to the story of one of the participants in the show), when they told me after the weigh-in: “If you lose weight now, then instead of general physical training we will send you to the locker room, and you will eat there." I said in response: “Please don’t!” and cried (laughs).

At a much later time, I naturally recalled these incidents and thought: “It was good then - instead of training, go eat!” But it’s really probably (she thought for a second)… it turns out that at the age of 17 I began adolescence - it was just the Olympic season. At that moment, I first encountered the problem that I needed to lose weight. And all the methods that worked before stopped working. Before this, I always thought that all I had to do was skip dinner for two or three days, and now my weight would return to normal. But here [during puberty] you are faced with the fact that nothing [changes].

Tsiskaridze: Moreover, you are still under pressure all the time due to the fact that at any moment they can check you and find some kind of illegal drug.

Anna:
Yes, we always monitor this very closely. But, probably, it was during that season that I began to monitor my nutrition very strictly. It also happened that I would put on five sweaters and five pants and go to the gym in the evening. That is, you are always chasing [optimal weight].

Tsiskaridze: So what was your critical weight then?

Anna:
Well, I knew exactly how much I had to weigh [for the competition]…

Tsiskaridze: What is this weight?

Anna:
This is 42 kilograms.

Tsiskaridze: 42, and at what height?

Anna:
With a height of approximately 161 centimeters.

Tsiskaridze: Well, this is cruel. Also, wait, is this with or without skates?

Anna:
(laughs) This is without skates, during our usual weigh-in before training. And it just so happened that in the offseason I suffered an injury, which caused me to gain weight.

Tsiskaridze: And how big was this increase?

Anna:
It was about 3-4 kilograms.

Tsiskaridze: This is quite serious...

Anna:
This is incredibly critical.

Unidentified woman: How is it determined what weight should be?

Anna:
This is determined during training with a coach.

Tsiskaridze: Well, firstly, this is determined visually. It happens that on one person these 3-4 additional kilograms are unnoticeable, but on another they say that he has become fat, even if the increase was only 30 grams. It [depends] on the natural structure of the body, of course.

Anna:
We do not use a general system of parameters, when a certain number is subtracted from height and the desired weight is obtained. This is determined individually for each athlete.

Tsiskaridze: By and large, the weight of boys should be calculated as their height minus 110, and the weight of girls - as their height minus 120. This is in the general case. But, of course, for those who do elements like Anna - the lighter you are, the easier it is for you to jump, land, and so on..

Anna:
And, of course, excess weight is always a risk of injury, because our jumping is a huge load on the body, and every extra kilogram is an additional load on the joints...

Unidentified Woman: The stress on the knees and everything else...

Anna:
Yes. But we do not use this scheme with subtracting some numbers from growth. This is individual for us. There may be athletes of the same height, but with different optimal weights.

Tsiskaridze: Well, in the end, how did you cope?

Anna:
Well, here’s the first, and, as it seemed to me [at that moment], the surest way is, as everyone says, “don’t eat!” So you just...

Tsiskaridze: But in this case there is no strength for training...

Anna:
Yes. But at that moment, my main problem was that I seemed to believe that food was my main enemy, and every meal seemed to me to be harming myself. And after each meal, when it seemed to me that I had eaten too much, I would put on [five sweaters and five pants] again and go to the gym.

After that, almost until the very end, Anna sat and was silent; all sorts of terrible stories were told about gluttony and anorexia, and she listened.

(two minutes before the end)

Tsiskaridze (addressing all participants): Tell me, do any of you count calories?

Anna:
I tried to count [some time ago].

Unidentified Woman: You're tired of this, right?

Anna:
No, because of this I just overly focused my attention on nutrition, now I’m trying to be more relaxed about it. It was like this: I look at food and a scanner starts working in my head, I count [calories] and a goal arises - to reduce the total number of calories.

Tsiskaridze: Stanislav, tell us about calorie counting.

Stanislav (professional nutritionist): Anna has already answered everything. This is a very difficult method that can cause anxiety in a person, so I do not recommend people to use this technique. Although in professional sports this method is probably effective.

Anna:
I always had to weigh myself. That is, I weighed myself 50 times a day, but now I’m out of the habit, now I weigh myself once a day, and even then I’m lazy. And when I was in active sports, during competitions I had to know exactly how much I weighed every minute of the day.

Anna didn't say anything else on this show.

macy

Record Breaker
that interview is ALARMING. a literal breeding ground for eating disorders and body dysmorphia. it is so, so awful and harmful what she and those other girls were/are subjected to. absolutely shameful.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
If that translation is accurate that's really disturbing. What do you mean by a "clearly excessive response"?
By this I mean disturbing, shock, awe, horror and statements in the style of “what a nightmare, what a shame, poor girl” and so on. In order to evaluate it this way, I have at least two reasons:

1. The problem that Anna described was actually short-term. It arose in the summer of 2021 after an absurd injury that she inflicted on herself while filming a video for Tik-Tok, and already in the fall, which is clearly visible in all the videos of that time, we see Anna in the same form as at the World Team Championship in April 2021.
2. Statements in the style of “the poor girl is being starved by the coaches” actually appeared immediately after Anna became noticeable. You can find such “expressions of condolences”, for example, in 2019. Meanwhile, as follows from Anna’s words, just at that time she did not limit herself in any way in food.

Well, now we see a very beautiful girl, full of life, who has achieved a lot at her still very young age. The question is - does she really need anyone's demonstrative condolences? Does she have any nutrition-related complaints about trainers? Obviously not.

And lastly, I know very well how these humanistic conversations with expressions of condolences end. I think you know too. And Anna definitely doesn’t need this.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
By this I mean disturbing, shock, awe, horror and statements in the style of “what a nightmare, what a shame, poor girl” and so on. In order to evaluate it this way, I have at least two reasons:

1. The problem that Anna described was actually short-term. It arose in the summer of 2021 after an absurd injury that she inflicted on herself while filming a video for Tik-Tok, and already in the fall, which is clearly visible in all the videos of that time, we see Anna in the same form as at the World Team Championship in April 2021.
2. Statements in the style of “the poor girl is being starved by the coaches” actually appeared immediately after Anna became noticeable. You can find such “expressions of condolences”, for example, in 2019. Meanwhile, as follows from Anna’s words, just at that time she did not limit herself in any way in food.

Well, now we see a very beautiful girl, full of life, who has achieved a lot at her still very young age. The question is - does she really need anyone's demonstrative condolences? Does she have any nutrition-related complaints about trainers? Obviously not.

And lastly, I know very well how these humanistic conversations with expressions of condolences end. I think you know too. And Anna definitely doesn’t need this.
Huh?

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Which part didn't make sense?
I don't think things are translating very well between Russian and English.
A clearly excessive response = an overreaction. Are you saying that Anna was overreacting to the nutrition regime, or are you saying that everything was fine with what the skaters eat and everyone else is overreacting to it?

A humanistic conversation is a type of talking therapy used by practitioners who have trained as humanistic counsellors. Are you saying that people like sports pyschologists and counsellors are bad for athletes?