Another coaching change: Patrick Chan and Don Laws part ways. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Another coaching change: Patrick Chan and Don Laws part ways.

futureidol

On the Ice
I agree with many of the posts that feel Chan didn't have the guts/maturity to tell Laws that he was fired as his coach. So Chan went the route of silence and distance. Laws being the adult in the relationship understood the clues and severed all ties. It's a tad bratty to go about the situation like that and the timing is incredible! Good luck to him, he'll need it. You're right like most countries besides the US, he has little competition in his own Nationals. I'm personally pulling for Sawyer though.

janetfan

Match Penalty
UPDATED:

Chan enjoyed the environment in Colorado, training with high level peers, and training in altitude (which makes you stronger when you skate at lower altititudes). He's been working with Krall since May and with Lori pretty much his entire life. Chan asked Laws to join him at Canadians but he decided not to. The split makes sense to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/figureskating/news/story?id=4809734

Thanks for the link.....here is an excerpt for the bashers:

"Laws said he wishes Chan nothing but the best."
He's one of the finest men's skaters in the world," Laws said. "He's really well equipped and if he stays in shape and delivers, he's a medal contender, no question. ... I'm sorry about the situation in many ways because he has done so well. But I think it works out the best -- I hope it does -- in the long run."

Go Patrick!

UPDATED:

Chan enjoyed the environment in Colorado, training with high level peers, and training in altitude (which makes you stronger when you skate at lower altititudes). He's been working with Krall since May and with Lori pretty much his entire life. Chan asked Laws to join him at Canadians but he decided not to. The split makes sense to me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/figureskating/news/story?id=4809734

I wonder if it is possible that the gist of the matter is new coaching techniques versus old.

I am just speculating here, but I could understand if Patrick liked all the fancy Dartfish stuff and thought it was cool, while old-school Laws did not put much faith in such newfangled nonsense.

i love to skate

Medalist
I wonder if it is possible that the gist of the matter is new coaching techniques versus old.

I am just speculating here, but I could understand if Patrick liked all the fancy Dartfish stuff and thought it was cool, while old-school Laws did not put much faith in such newfangled nonsense.

I bet that was a huge part of it. My guess is that Partrick's jumps were improving at a faster rate with Krall than they were with Laws. Dartfish is amazing - I can understand why he would want to work with it a lot!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Chan has been doing competitive simulations in Colorado, where he takes the ice to warm up, then waits a good 15 minutes before skating his program, just to get used to the down time.

Whoever taught him that is a good coach. I don't think enough skaters realize the importance of simulating the 6 min warm up (and only the 6 min warm up) before trying their program.

hongligl

Final Flight
Chan's been in Colorado Springs for the past two months. He was supposed to go there for about a week, and then return to training with Laws. He never came back, so Laws went to Colorado, but Chan pretty much ignored him.

It seems as if Chan wanted to end his relationship with Laws after the SC debacle, but didn't have the guts to tell him to his face. So he just stayed away and let Laws do the dirty work.

After reading the article, I totally agree with you. I guess Chan didn't want to hurt Laws' feeling, but by avoiding and ignoring it hurts more.

seniorita

Record Breaker
If i had not read about this magic method a few days ago- and that by accident-reading here I would have thought mr Dartfish is his new coach, lol!:laugh:

Wow...A bit of shock, but good luck!:)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It doesn't sound like hurt feelings on either side. It sounds like growing apart. This isn't the Scott Hamilton, Carlo Fassi story where a coached chose one skater over another. This isn't the Michelle Kwan, Frank Carrol story where the skater feels the need to "break out and go her own way" or "do it on her own".

Love him or leave him, this was - in Don's words - not entirely Chan's decision. Chances are they just grew apart. Maybe it's Chan's first push into "manhood" in that he's leaving "the nest". Or it could be exactly what MM suggests. Or maybe they had one too many arguments and that's that.

For all we know Don was tired of the injury and left.

Blaming either one of them when it seems to be a very mutual decision is fruitless. Slinging insults at either them or one another doesn't accomplish anything and certainly has no basis to the topic at hand.

Good luck to both men in their endeavors.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I thought I read an article once (I can't recall where) that said that Patrick skated pretty much on his own in Palm Springs (ice to himself). I suppose that one would be able to get a lot of work done potentially, but having other skaters on the ice adds an important social and competitive atmosphere. I found as a skater when there were more people on the ice, even if we didn't speak while on the ice, there was a different atmosphere than when there were few skaters. Patrick's always struck me as pretty social, so perhaps having more Grand Prix level skaters around him will help his social well-being as well as his competitive pursuits. Just a thought.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I read about this way earlier today, and in a way it makes me sad because it brings back memories of Mike Tyson & Cus D'Amato. I'm talking about Patrick & Mr. Colson, therein lies the similarity, at least in my mind.

Cus D'Amato was waiting for a champion to walk into his gym, and in walks Mike Tyson at the age of 13. Inseparable, the two of them, the young-champion-in-the-making & the old legendary coach, watching old boxing movies together for not only pleasure but to study the masters' technique. It's just too bad Mr. D'Amato died just months before Mike became the youngest heavyweight champion ever. Similar story with Patrick & Mr. Colson, as he too unfortunately never lived to see Patrick become the youngest ever Canadian Men's Champion.

Seems to me neither one ever got over losing their respective first coach, the one that made them into champions (and in Mike's case a father figure). Yes, other coaches, et al, came in during the interim, but it's not the same thing. I feel sorry for Patrick, and wish him the best of luck, whatever makes him happy!:thumbsup:

:rock:GOOOOOO PATRICK!!!!:rock:

Edited To Add: Mike's favorite quote of Cus D'Amato's was the following -- The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. Fear. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters.

Last edited:

justaskatingfan

Rinkside
Politics and marketing? Maybe Skate/Sport Canada and commercial interests prefer a Lori + Patrick image for the Olympics?

kwanette

Final Flight
WTF? Laws gets up and moves to Florida 2 months before his star pupils big Olympics? Would it have killed him to wait until early March? This came way out of left field for me... more Chan drama.

Laws has been in Florida.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Oh wow, surprised. I didn't know that Lori not only choreographes, but also coaches. Perhaps David Wilson is also one of coaches of Yuna, then?:) Canada has many great coaches. So cool.

It sounds like Patrick has had multiple coaches helping him. If it was the case, it seems to be nice flexibility. Is this kind of arrangement getting more common these days?

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh wow, surprised. I didn't know that Lori not only choreographes, but also coaches. Perhaps David Wilson is also one of coaches of Yuna, then?:) Canada has many great coaches. So cool.

I'm pretty sure that David Wilson has his coaching credentials. Skate Canada really pushes for everyone working with high level skaters to obtain at least their level 3 coaching as that's the coach requirement to accompany the skaters to international competitions. They'll make exceptions, but they're generally only given for not having enough time to achieve the level.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Politics and marketing? Maybe Skate/Sport Canada and commercial interests prefer a Lori + Patrick image for the Olympics?

I doubt it. Sounds like the opportunity presented itself for Don Laws and he decided to move on.

jettasian

Match Penalty
It doesn't sound like hurt feelings on either side. It sounds like growing apart. This isn't the Scott Hamilton, Carlo Fassi story where a coached chose one skater over another. This isn't the Michelle Kwan, Frank Carrol story where the skater feels the need to "break out and go her own way" or "do it on her own".

Love him or leave him, this was - in Don's words - not entirely Chan's decision. Chances are they just grew apart. Maybe it's Chan's first push into "manhood" in that he's leaving "the nest". Or it could be exactly what MM suggests. Or maybe they had one too many arguments and that's that.

For all we know Don was tired of the injury and left.

Blaming either one of them when it seems to be a very mutual decision is fruitless. Slinging insults at either them or one another doesn't accomplish anything and certainly has no basis to the topic at hand.

Good luck to both men in their endeavors.

Voice of reason.

For all the Chan Haters, no matter what Chan did, or didn't do, it's always his fault. It's funny that some said it's the immaturity of Chan...well, ones without knowing the whole story, and yet, already put blame on Chan...now, who's the real troll out out? :rofl:

If you dislike someone so much, why do you keep saying negative things about that skater? Why don't you move on, find whoever skater you like, and say positive things about them? Really, the skaters you don't like do not deserve your negative bashing.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Edited To Add: Mike's favorite quote of Cus D'Amato's was the following -- The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. Fear. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters.

I live that! Thanks for sharing the story.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Tinymavy15, no need to thank me, thank Mr. D'Amato!:rock:

And for anyone that may be wondering whom I had in mind when I added the quote, I was referring to Patrick Chan. He can run or he can fight.

Lol, Mr. D'Amato reminds me of my late father, whom actually was a pugilist himself when he was young growing up in poverty in Montana. My dad fought & won many boxing trophies despite being deaf in one year, even earning his teacher's degree from the University of Washington. And my brother too. They defied the stereotype that pugilists are dumb, stupid, and ugly. No way. I should post a picture of them someday to prove my point.:cool:

Back to Patrick, don't be scared, don't run, man up in Vancouver, and

:rock:BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!:rock:

sk8rdad

On the Ice