As promised: Bagged Milk | Golden Skate

As promised: Bagged Milk

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
So.. you have questions about Bagged Milk? Here is the place for them.

A few notes:
A) Let us know which countries sell bagged milk. So far we have Canada, Lithuanian and Hungary.
B) If you have bagged milk do you have a container with a picture on it for the bags? We have one with a cow and a blue one for when we used to get bags of chocolate milk.
C) Why would we buy our milk in bags? First of all it is cheaper by nearly a half and you can buy 4L at a time in 3 bags each so you only open one at time.
D) Is it a crime to not change the bag at your house?
E) Do you reuse the bags?

And finally: Have you heard that you can cut up the bag that the three bags come in and weave them together to form mats that they take to Haiti and use in medical situations because they are easy to clean and hold up well.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was waiting for this thread to show up actually! ;)

Question do these bags have handles? The ones I've seen are just literally bags that you have to pick up? Does it feel weird carrying a liquid around? I feel like it would be really weird, the thought gives me the heebie-jeebies to be honest :laugh:

Also, I see that the bags are cheaper, but they're also big, like I live by myself and I wouldn't be able to get through 2L of milk in the week before it goes off. So does it come in smaller bags? Although it sounds like the milks use by date is longer over there? Is it vacuumed sealed in the bags or something?

Finally, are the bags recycled? The Haiti thing sounds awesome, so I imagine so?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
We have them in the US. I grew up on bagged milk. :)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I was waiting for this thread to show up actually! ;)

Question do these bags have handles? The ones I've seen are just literally bags that you have to pick up? Does it feel weird carrying a liquid around? I feel like it would be really weird, the thought gives me the heebie-jeebies to be honest :laugh:

Also, I see that the bags are cheaper, but they're also big, like I live by myself and I wouldn't be able to get through 2L of milk in the week before it goes off. So does it come in smaller bags? Although it sounds like the milks use by date is longer over there? Is it vacuumed sealed in the bags or something?

Finally, are the bags recycled? The Haiti thing sounds awesome, so I imagine so?

There is a very strong plastic bag with a plastic tag holding it together with a best before date on the tag. Inside the bag are 3 1.33 liter bags of milk (chocolate, white, skim, 1%, 2% or 3.25% (called Homogenized Milk). It's quite heavy but it's not gross. I guess we are just used it. It's not gross to us. Mostly it's families that buy the bagged milk unless you are a big milk drinker because the bags are good for about 2 to 3 weeks I guess. There is true filtered milk and other premium brands that last longer. Also some people freeze the bags and then defrost them when they use them. Seriously, if you lived here you'd probably use bags if you drank milk because it's half the price. It only comes in the 4L size.

You can reuse the bags. Some people clean them out and used them as sandwich bags. The outside bag makes excellent dog poop bags because they are very strong and won't break on you or develop a hole (ask a dog person..it's the worst if the bag has a hole..ew). I also use them when I do the cat box.

I have done a few mats for the haiti thing. It takes a while. I think it takes something like 200 or 300 bags to make a single mat.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Interesting. A lot of Americans seem to never have heard of bagged milk.

Yeah, we had it in school in little pouches and then my parents also went to a local farms that had dairy shops set up and would buy like 4 gal at a time of milk in bags. I loved it.

We also had it when I lived in Canada and overseas during training.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Yeah, we had it in school in little pouches and then my parents also went to a local farms that had dairy shops set up and would buy like 4 gal at a time of milk in bags. I loved it.

We also had it when I lived in Canada and overseas during training.

Canada: Come for the maple syrup stay for the bagged milk.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I thought bagged milk was a much more common thing, especially in western countries. Grocery stores in Canada also sell 1L and 2L cartons, although bagged milk is comparatively in bulk and as mentioned by ancientpeas, is much cheaper.

We have two pitchers, white for 2% milk and blue for 4% milk. The bags are reused to take out garbage.

Also another Canadian favourite (and my favourite): ketchup chips.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
While visiting relatives in Toronto, I picked up the wrong bag. I wasn't familiar with the labels, and so was drinking goats milk for my whole stay in Canada.

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
While visiting relatives in Toronto, I picked up the wrong bag. I wasn't familiar with the labels, and so was drinking goats milk for my whole stay in Canada.

That's really funny.
I like goat cheese. I'm not sure I've had goat milk.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I thought bagged milk was a much more common thing, especially in western countries. Grocery stores in Canada also sell 1L and 2L cartons, although bagged milk is comparatively in bulk and as mentioned by ancientpeas, is much cheaper.

We have two pitchers, white for 2% milk and blue for 4% milk. The bags are reused to take out garbage.

Also another Canadian favourite (and my favourite): ketchup chips.
I can't do flavoured chips. I always have low salt ripples or nothing at all.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Interesting about the different types of milk that come in the bag.

My parents never would have let us have chocolate milk in the house :laugh: even if it was cheaper!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Interesting about the different types of milk that come in the bag.

My parents never would have let us have chocolate milk in the house :laugh: even if it was cheaper!

That's okay. It's really more like drinking pop. Too much sugar.

I'm anti chocolate milk in bags. First of all you have to drink way too much of it to quickly to keep it from going bad. But more importantly.. if people put it in the wrong container and other people don't check first then you put chocolate milk in your English breakfast tea and it's disgusting!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have lived in Eastern Pennsylvania all my livelong days, (which are many) and I have never heard of, or seen, bagged milk.

Spousal unit, who has even more livelong days, has lived (in the US) in California, Missouri, New Jersey, Maryland, Rhode Island, Connecticut and of course Pennsylvania, and has never heard of bagged milk.

I find it fascinating. And a little daunting.....:biggrin:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have lived in Eastern Pennsylvania all my livelong days, (which are many) and I have never heard of, or seen, bagged milk.

Spousal unit, who has even more livelong days, has lived (in the US) in California, Missouri, New Jersey, Maryland, Rhode Island, Connecticut and of course Pennsylvania, and has never heard of bagged milk.

I find it fascinating. And a little daunting.....:biggrin:

I have friends that live out that way and that's all they drink. :laugh: