Ashley Wagner to skip Grand Prix Series | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner to skip Grand Prix Series

IceBallerina

On the Ice
Via Ashwagner2010 on Instagram

Ashley will be skipping this season's Grand Prix, but made no comment of any other competitions or retirement.

frida80

Record Breaker
She's experienced a major disappointment. It's a lot to ask to go right back into skating like nothing happen. Maybe after she's dealt with the loss, she can regroup.

evasorange

Final Flight
She said she’s continuing to train so hopefully we’ll see her compete sometime again. If not, she’s given so much and has so much to be proud of as the most accomplished us lady of the past 8 years

icybear

Medalist
I thought she would have retired, given the way she went about attacking other skaters on Twitter during the olympics. Or maybe she's taking a year out to learn Alina layout.

Chris_E

On the Ice
Not surprising news but still a bit sad to read. I will miss Ashley on the Grand Prix, she's had some great performances over the years and I hope another US lady can rise to the occasion and fill the void left by her absence.

acapenci

On the Ice
I thought she would have retired, given the way she went about attacking other skaters on Twitter during the olympics. Or maybe she's taking a year out to learn Alina layout.

Couldnt have said it better myself...

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I'm not surprised, but I hope she can come back afterwards, even if for just one more season. I'll miss her performances, she's definitely stood out in the field.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I think Ashley may have joined Raf’s coaching team? She recently went to Nashville for a Bridgestone-sponsored event with Nathan at Scott Hamilton’s skating school.

Not sure if she will come back to compete in the future, but it looks like she will continue to be involved with skating.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I hate to be negative but with the current and upcoming ladies field I can’t see her making a comeback at her age

georgia

On the Ice

No matter what she does or she says ,some days f you can’t see her as a real person with opinion.. She did not attack the skater but the program . iSU took notice by the way...

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
No matter what she does or she says ,some days f you can’t see her as a real person with opinion.. She did not attack the skater but the program . iSU took notice by the way...

Does it not seem wrong to you to attack the way your competition skates? It's like saying, "I know I can't win just by skating, so I'll attack how they lay out their program, because I'm threatened by their successes". If she really wanted to show the merits of a balanced program, she could've skated her own at her very best so that the judges at nationals had no choice but for her to be in the top three. She didn't do that, Alina did.

Danibellerika

Medalist
What did she said?

Something about being glad he didn't medal because of his skating skills or something. Not a direct quote but something along those lines.

Not that I'm at a fan, but Ashley could probably still be competitive with the US ladies because who do we really have right now? While I suppose Brady would be top 2, I don't trust what Karen or Gracie can do, so it's like a toss up for all of them to me.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Something about being glad he didn't medal because of his skating skills or something. Not a direct quote but something along those lines.

Not that I'm at a fan, but Ashley could probably still be competitive with the US ladies because who do we really have right now? While I suppose Brady would be top 2, I don't trust what Karen or Gracie can do, so it's like a toss up for all of them to me.

Oh.

Well who knows? I don´t think she and Mirai will be back

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Judges and other skaters have memories and feelings too. Ashley is done and she knows it. Her rant at last years nationals will not endear her to any Judges.

lesnar001

Record Breaker

It really wasn't her opinion to give - but she gave it and should have expected some backlash.

I seriously doubt that the ISU paid any attention to Ashley Wagner's tweets.