Backspin - free leg problem | Golden Skate

Backspin - free leg problem

pietkiesia

Spectator
Hi! I have a problem with backspin entry, frequently my free leg stays behind instead of going to the front. I can’t achieve open spin position. On good days, when the entry works better, I’m able to spin steady 11-14 revolution, but when the leg stays behind the spin doesn’t happen at all. My coach showed me some exercise to deepen the three turn but I don’t see any progress. I can’t figure out what mistake I make, maybe someone had similar problem and knows a solution?
I’m rather advanced adult skater ( for my 46 years of age), I do feel secure on the ice, me edges are deep, but I have some technical problems with more advanced spins. My second nightmare is falling to much forward on camel spin entry, even when I arch my back like crazy. There are days when the entry works and I can easy go into combination with sit spin. So I know I’m able to do good backspin and camel but I’m not consistent enough. I can’t figure out what causes my mistakes, why it works on some days and it’s a total disaster on other days. I’m so frustrated!

jayy

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Hi! I have a problem with backspin entry, frequently my free leg stays behind instead of going to the front. I can’t achieve open spin position. On good days, when the entry works better, I’m able to spin steady 11-14 revolution, but when the leg stays behind the spin doesn’t happen at all. My coach showed me some exercise to deepen the three turn but I don’t see any progress. I can’t figure out what mistake I make, maybe someone had similar problem and knows a solution?
I’m rather advanced adult skater ( for my 46 years of age), I do feel secure on the ice, me edges are deep, but I have some technical problems with more advanced spins. My second nightmare is falling to much forward on camel spin entry, even when I arch my back like crazy. There are days when the entry works and I can easy go into combination with sit spin. So I know I’m able to do good backspin and camel but I’m not consistent enough. I can’t figure out what causes my mistakes, why it works on some days and it’s a total disaster on other days. I’m so frustrated!
I can tell you spin falls are scary but they are rare. In my 10 years of skating I only had one bad fall, which unfortunately knocked my competitions for the season down the drain. Pardon my ramble. From what I am reading, there seems to be an issue with the "snap" on your backspin. I worked with my coach on hitting the same "open" position, and what I found very helpful was to hold the entry edge a little longer than normal and then with the momentum generated, it was easier to keep my leg in the open position when I turned. When you generate the "snap" from the three turn, you are essentially harnessing the energy to control your spin (I think). Also working on some hip exercises, as I know my leg is straight, but keeping your hip strong ensures your position will be stronger.

Second, we all have off days, so don't get too discouraged, you can do it! The simplest way to regulate inconsistency is with patience and good practice. regardless of what you are working on, this is a sport that requires patience. My coach always stresses the importance of "down, around, and up" whenever we work on spins. Establishing your position on your entry edge before straightening your skating leg. Essentially, do not rush your spin entries, as this will not work in the long run. I also found keeping track of which spins worked and which didn't. Then mentioning them to my coach at a later lesson. From the sounds of it you are killing it out there, and keep up the great spinning!

You got this!

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I have started working on back sit spins to help my back scratch and it's definitely improving everything...