Beginner skates for 16yo daughter | Golden Skate

Beginner skates for 16yo daughter

nu1mlock

Spectator
Hi everyone!

I want to start off by saying that I have absolutely no idea about anything when it comes to figure skating (or any kind of skating for that matter) so please bear with me.

My daughter is 16 years old, about 168cm, 60kg. She has just started figure skating lessons but have been skating on her own quite often for a couple of years. I believe she is working on her single jump (skating forward, jumping, spin 180 and land on one skate and the other leg straight backwards). She can skate backwards, spin a little and things like that. She tells me to write that she can do "basic spins", forward and backward swizzles as well. She mentions "crossover, forward and backwards, both inside and outside foot". I have no idea what that means.

Currently she is using hand-me-downs from her mother. I'm pretty sure they are called Graf Victoria. They don't seem stiff. She claims they "work okay". They're a little too big (EU 39) and she usually have EU 38 for shoes.

I've been trying to figure out what she needs but I don't trust the random webshops that just want to make money and I don't trust her friends because they just recommend whatever they use (most seem to use Edea here). Just like I don't trust the brands themselves since they just want to confuse the consumer - "stiffness rating" being a great example of how they want to confuse consumers.

So I'm turning to you here and am hoping to get some proper information and some guidance.

We have a web store that offers the ability to try out different skates and we're planning on going there tomorrow, but I'd like to hear your thoughts before going.

Thank you in advance and have a great weekend!

Edit: We will not be visiting them for fitting tomorrow. They were extremely rude and condescending so I cancelled the appointment.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi and welcome. First of all, I need to know about her feet so that I can suggest boots and brands that would work for her unique foot.
Stiffness ratings aren't listed online to confuse consumers, it's just something you learn while being in the sport for awhile. You can also trust the skate brands, they have been around for quite awhile.

Ok, her feet and what I need to know: What is her foot style (like here), arches (very high, high, regular, low, non-existent?) narrow foot? Wide foot? Are her heels much more narrow than her toebox (forefoot)?

Once you can tell me that then I can assist you. Also, where you are in the world so I (we) can suggest a reputable fitter b/c not just anyone can fit for figure skates or maintain them.

And you can trust me: Former International Elite singles and ice dancer turned professional. I've been doing this since I was 2/3 years old and over 30 years now.

Welcome to you and your daughter to the sport and best of luck! :)

Last edited: