Breaking down NBC’s coverage | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Breaking down NBC’s coverage

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was there for Skate America 2017. So life-changing and was the best part of 2017. GORGEOUS location. Such a storybook location.
There is no location that is gorgeous enough to jump through the hoops it would take to get there (now watch them send Gracie there and I have to figure it out).

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think it may be that I wanted to watch only 4 routines (2 dance, 2 women) and I may have missed some things. I’m right about the commercials though. So I guess half right is better than 0%.

Although @Seven Sisters said Johnny and Tara didn’t show up until the final flights. If that’s the case how did they do commentary on the first flight? I remain confused
Maybe they meant the final flight of dance. Johnny and Tara did commentate on tv through the entire women's event. Although I noticed throughout the entire competition that during programs you could barely hear the commentators cause the music was so loud. I know some will say that was a bonus. haha I do love no commentary, however Johnny and Tara do not really bug me that much like so many fans.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is no location that is gorgeous enough to jump through the hoops it would take to get there (now watch them send Gracie there and I have to figure it out).
Kevin Reynolds competed at Skate America 2017. That's what made me want to go.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
But you are a skating fan, maybe even a bit of a diehard fan so you are likely more willing to go to 'out of the way places to see a figure skating event, USFS shouldn't really be looking at how to appease you as they already have you, they need to look at how to best get casual fans in the stands.
You know what, though? If they put it in, say, Las Vegas in an attempt to draw in those who aren’t already fans—I wouldn’t go. So that is a trade off!

slider11

Medalist
I really like Terry Gannon and am impressed with his more than basic knowledge of the sport. I know he has done this for awhile but still he really seems to retain and reflect on prior skates and skaters and integrates that with his comments. Tara and Johnny are just fluffy distractions for me. I really dislike when Johnny goes off on his "mandatory one point deduction" every time a skater falls. Johnny also is rattling so fast sometimes that he's hard to understand so I just tune out. Katelyn Weaver did a decent job. I guess Tanith is focusing on her coaching responsibilities now although some like Carol Lane do both. Adding Johnny to ice dance is unnecessary, Terry and Katelyn could handle it quite well.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You know what, though? If they put it in, say, Las Vegas in an attempt to draw in those who aren’t already fans—I wouldn’t go. So that is a trade off!
It was in Vegas twice consecutively, it would be fair to have it in Norwood next year and then somewhere in the middle of the country - Chicago?

Amei

Record Breaker

So as the older fans start to die (harsh but reality of life) and they've not attracted new fans the sport's just going to die in the US.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
So as the older fans start to die (harsh but reality of life) and they've not attracted new fans the sport's just going to die in the US.
I’m curious. What location do you think would be optimal for drawing in new fans? I’m sure USFS would be open for suggestions!

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was there for Skate America 2017. So life-changing and was the best part of 2017. GORGEOUS location. Such a storybook location.
As was I, but moonvine is right; I was able to drive there because it was close to my in-laws and we were already visiting them for Thanksgiving. Now that I no longer live in the area, I don't even consider going back because it's too much work to get to. It's a pity, because it's a lovely place and I enjoyed my weekend there very much.

edit: as far as optimal locations, I think anywhere that's easily accessible by a large portion of people. Some of the venues they've picked have been great! Boston, San Jose, Vegas are all easily accessible by plane and have good tourism infrastructure (though Boston's hotel prices, yikes). Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Detroit (plenty of skating there already)... all flight hubs. I don't know about venues/local skating fan base, so I'm strictly talking about travel-ability here. I used to live in Houston, and there's a lot of arts and sports there. I think an event there might actually do okay.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m curious. What location do you think would be optimal for drawing in new fans? I’m sure USFS would be open for suggestions!
I don't know about locations. I know a lot about social media and they are not being at all effective with theirs. I would help them (not do it all, it is a lot of work) for tickets, credentials and airfare to events:p

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Tara is even more annoying to me than ever. She talks more and says less.

Her commentary, in addition to being mostly useless and overtalkative, is also incorrect. She kept going on and on every time there was a half-loop combo, about how this "sequence" is now considered a combination this season. No Tara, it's been considered a combo since the 2010-2011 season. You've been watching them every season for many years. Nothing has changed. You even did this combo in your own programs when you competed. Like, WTF?

RobinA

On the Ice
Note: I did not watch any of the men’s or pairs coverage.

I have my Youtube TV set up to automagically record any figure skating that comes on any channel.

So apparently skating (at least for Skate America) has been relegated to E!

They’ve gone back even further than when they showed the top 6. Now they show the top 3 only, with any Americans that weren’t in the top 3 and maybe 1 other team/skater. So for ID they showed KanaDai and the winners. That was it. For women they showed the top 3 women and Gracie. At a major figure skating event in the US where they US dominated as they haven’t in years…maybe ever? Golds in 3 disciplines, silver and bronze in women’s?

And the commercials..dear Goddess…Prevagen, life insurance, cheap cell plan for old people, and butt deodorant. Maybe next year we can get Depends, Polident, an assisted living community, an anti baldness drug.,the possibilities are endless.
By the looks of the coverage for this season, it couldn't get much worse. Events at 6:30a est? Yeah, I could record it, but I'm a fan. Ya can't make new fans at that hour. Will I record it? Figure skating is making it more and more difficult to be a fan.

noskates

Record Breaker
I only mentioned Las Vegas as an example - most airports have flights into LV that don't require renting a car and driving to the venue. Getting around that town is quite easy, too, and if you're not actually staying on The Strip the hotels are fairly reasonable.