Chan set to resume training | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Chan set to resume training

firal

Record Breaker
Trying to find a video to his JO performance in anticipation...but no luck so far. Anyone has a link? Much appreciated!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There were circumstances that made the "coaching by email" more of necessity than choice: Yuzuru was recovering from injury, and considering the time frame it made sense for him to train in Japan than go to Toronto and then take the long flight to Shanghai for Worlds. ...

Yada, yada, yada. I knew/know all of that.

All due respect to Hanyu :bow: for overcoming injury, surgery, etc.

But no matter what the circumstances, he was getting coached for Worlds by e-mail. Kinda crazy :yes:.

And let's see ... I seem to recall ;) that the new World champ was someone who was getting in-person coaching from Orser per usual.

Maybe in-person coaching from Orser would not have made the difference for Hanyu. Or maybe it would have. We'll never know.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Yada, yada, yada. I knew/know all of that.

All due respect to Hanyu :bow: for overcoming injury, surgery, etc.

But no matter what the circumstances, he was getting coached for Worlds by e-mail. Kinda crazy :yes:.

And let's see ... I seem to recall ;) that the new World champ was someone who was getting in-person coaching from Orser per usual.

Maybe in-person coaching from Orser would not have made the difference for Hanyu. Or maybe it would have. We'll never know.

I am sure if the circumstances were usual, Yuzuru would also, like Javier, have had in-person coaching from Brian for Worlds. Every decision has to be considered in light of the context it was made.

I think we can already move on from this issue. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am sure if the circumstances were usual, Yuzuru would also, like Javier, have had in-person coaching from Brian for Worlds. Every decision has to be considered in light of the context it was made.

I think we can already move on from this issue. :)

My point is that Chan -- like Hanyu :) -- is adapting to circumstances and figuring out what makes sense for himself :). Wouldn't necessarily make sense for everyone -- but not a matter of hubris, IMO.

Icey

Record Breaker
I wonder what is behind the thinking of continuing to use Detroit as his base. Don't understand his attachment to Kathy.

Icey

Record Breaker
Do you think it was hubris for Hanyu to get coaching from Orser via e-mail?

No, but it could have played some role in his not retaining his world title. It is advisable to not fly for about a month after surgery to avoid the possibility of DVT. Maybe they were being extra cautious.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
No, but it could have played some role in his not retaining his world title. It is advisable to not fly for about a month after surgery to avoid the possibility of DVT. Maybe they were being extra cautious.

Well, that's practically a given. Not to take the credit away from Javier and the best couple of days I saw from him all season, but the first thing you can hear Orser telling Yuzuru when he got off the ice was that they needed a couple of more weeks. There is a high chance that his performance would have been different had he trained in Toronto.

But back to Patrick, I can't help but wonder. Kathy won't be there on daily basis, but she's not exactly a regular skating coach. They've worked together for some time now, but is she the coach that supervises Patrick's technique or would he have a specialized coach (former skater) to watch after those kind of things? Because if he does, then Kathy's absence won't affect him so much. Although again, I don't know how their dynamic works and what is Kathy's forte, just thought that it wouldn't be technique since she's not a skating coach.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the article doesn't say that Chan will not have other people than Kathy on his team, it says he will be based in Detroit and KJ will come visit... I think we forget that Chan is mature enough to know the kind of environment and coaching he needs to be happy and being happy is essential for skating well... he suffered the pressure at the OG but a couple months before he had skated better than ever... and his coach was KJ... not necessarily what 'I" personally (and who cares what I think :) )would think is best for him... but I trust Patrick knows what's best for him... like Hanyu knew what was possible for him this year... these guys know their stuff... and they don't need to learn how to do basics... a coach is a guide, a mentor... not a put your foot here or there... it's the same in music for instance... in the early stages, you need a very good technical coach but after a while, you need a guide, someone who can give you advice...general insight... etc

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
it's the same in music for instance... in the early stages, you need a very good technical coach but after a while, you need a guide, someone who can give you advice...general insight... etc

Like after 10/11 years, at least. :biggrin:
I get what you mean though and I agree in this case.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
a while meaning a long while :) even longer than 10 years in most cases... but patrick is fine now for sure ;)
Like after 10/11 years, at least. :biggrin:
I get what you mean though and I agree in this case.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It will be a nail-biting face-off between the top guys. Chan, Yuzu, Javi and Denis. I'm looking forward to GPF.
BTW, Yuzu has just gone back to Toronto (where he belongs) to start training. He mentioned Chan in a recent interview and how it was his desire to beat Chan that helped him focus on himself during competitions in 2013-2014.
I really think that we had the best competitions when Chan and Yuzu went against each-other that season. Fingers crossed that all the guys can be healthier next season than they were this season. Is it just me, or were there a LOT more injuries?:bang: