Charlene Guignard & Marco Fabbri | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Charlene Guignard & Marco Fabbri

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Article from FS Gossips with quotes from Charlène and Marco after their Euros victory!

https://fs-gossips.com/charlene-gui...-in-sports-just-because-of-the-home-olympics/

They sound less confident about making it to 2026 than they did, sadly:
Marco Fabbri: We have not decided yet whether we will stay until the next Olympics. At the end of the season, after the World Team Trophy, Charlene and I will sit down and decide whether we leave or stay. We do not want to make any prediction yet.

It is clear that we feel a certain pressure; the Olympic Games will be held at our home, in Milan, there are not a lot of strong duets in the Italian team now. But we do not want to stay in sports just because the home Olympics are ahead.

Yes, that would be just great and I would be happy to perform at home. But you have to leave at the peak, I think. Now we are finally in the top but what will happen next, no one knows.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
New article on Charlene and Marco before Worlds: https://europeonice.com/2023/03/16/...-persistence-pays-off-for-european-champions/

In it, they discuss their partnership, this season and the Olympic season, their relationship with Barbara and their program choices.
They also discuss their future plans, which still seem undecided:
“This season might be the last one for us, but it might be just one of the many seasons that will lead to the Olympic Games.
“Of course, since we’re evaluating the situation, season by season – the fact that the Olympic Games will be in Milano will be a big factor in our evaluation,” Fabbri said. “Basically, I would say that if we decide to continue, not next season, but the season after, for sure we’re going to continue until the Olympics. We’re not going to do three years and retire just for the Olympic season because once you get to the third year the year just before the Olympic Games, it makes no sense. The big step will be to continue next season and the season after. Then if we decide to continue two more seasons, then we’ll go to the Olympic Games for sure.”

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Some of Charlene and Marco's Japanese fans are hosting a fan meeting for them in Tokyo during WTT. They also plan to have a book of fan messages to give to Charlene and Marco at the meet-up. If anyone would like to send a message, the website is here (in Japanese, but seems to translate well): https://rotationallift.wixsite.com/cmfanmeeting

The meet-up is going to be filmed and will have an Italian interpreter, so hopefully we should be able to see the event from afar. If anyone from Golden Skate attends, please let us know how it goes!

The Japanese fans seem to have a nickname for them 'シャルマル' which seems to translate to 'Sharma', the first parts of both their first names stuck together, which I thought was a sweet nickname.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
now we can say they're officially world N. 2 right? :hap10:
They're N.1 in the World Standings and Season's World Ranking, so we'd probably get away with saying they're N.1 :laugh:

So happy for them, not off the podium at a single event this season (not counting WTT), plus Euro champions and World silver!

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Some of Charlene and Marco's Japanese fans are hosting a fan meeting for them in Tokyo during WTT. They also plan to have a book of fan messages to give to Charlene and Marco at the meet-up. If anyone would like to send a message, the website is here (in Japanese, but seems to translate well): https://rotationallift.wixsite.com/cmfanmeeting

The meet-up is going to be filmed and will have an Italian interpreter, so hopefully we should be able to see the event from afar. If anyone from Golden Skate attends, please let us know how it goes!

The Japanese fans seem to have a nickname for them 'シャルマル' which seems to translate to 'Sharma', the first parts of both their first names stuck together, which I thought was a sweet nickname.

The fan meeting seems to have been a success. The lady who organised the meeting has posted lots of photos and content on the Twitter page here (all in Japanese but seems to Google Translate fairly well): https://twitter.com/CMfanmeeting

A few of the main take-aways:
  • About this season: they changed their mindset after winning European gold so felt less pressure at Worlds.
  • Charlene and Marco took along their costumes from this season; Charlene's RD dress weighs 1kg! Closeup costume photos here.
  • If they were to choose a new pattern dance, it would be a tango. They'd like to have a more serious and mature RD theme, rather than the recent 'fun' choices.
  • One of the Q and A questions asked about whether they can hear Barbara's enthusiastic cheering which they can and say helps especially in arenas with very little crowd.
  • Their thoughts about each other on the ice: Charlene say Marco is a perfectionist and very sweet; Marco says Charlene is easy to partner and very patient.
  • Their thoughts about each other off the ice: Charlene says Marco is very organised and keeps their home very tidy; Marco says when Charlene makes him breakfast, she always has a card with a special message to go with it.
  • There was a survey for the favourite program amongst the fans and La La Land (from 2018-19) won with Atonement (2020-21 and 2021-22) in 2nd.
  • Charlene and Marco showed off the correct way to do waltz holds in ice dance (photos here).
  • The lady who organised the meeting put the messages from both the fans who attended and those who submitted them online on to a big Italian flag as a gift, which made an appearance in the kiss and cry at WTT (photo). I can spot my message on there, so if anyone else submitted one, see if you can spot yours!
  • A video message from Charlene and Marco to the fans who couldn't attend is here.
  • Photos from Charlene's Instagram from the meeting are here.
Judging from the photos and reports, it seems that Charlene, Marco and all the fans had a great time. I'm really happy that someone was thoughtful enough to arrange this for them, as they don't have the biggest fan base of all the ice dance teams, so I'm glad they had the chance to see how much the fans love and appreciate them.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
More Charlene and Marco content!

A new interview with Absolute Skating from just before Europeans about the season to that point, the changes they made to their programs throughout the season, the design process for their costumes and their thoughts on ice shows: http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2023guignardfabbri

They also came close to confirming that they will stay for another season in the press zone at WTT! Hooray!
You may have to click the link to read the whole Tweet, but the important line is:
We sat together after Worlds discussing our future. We haven’t completely finalized the decision yet but we are almost sure we will be staying at least one more season.