Charlie Bilodeau explains his retirement : Olympics, injuries, mental health and a new balanced life | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Charlie Bilodeau explains his retirement : Olympics, injuries, mental health and a new balanced life

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am very interested in what anyone would think about Charlie's comments on his own coaching situation or others.

I am proud of him for speaking out (easier once you're retired, I know) and continue to be depressed by the amount of bad coaching (skate through injuries, "motivation" through insults) that appears to be out there.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It is worth mentioning that Josée Picard, who was Julianne's longtime coach, and with whom Charlie and Julianne trained, coached Isabelle Brasseur and Lloyd Eisler to olympic medals and a world title. I remember that in Albertville, Isabelle had fallen... and the newspapers were nasty about it ... the pressure cooker culture in sports is not new. What is newer, newisher, are athletes speaking up. Thanks to Charlie for contributing with his bits on it.. and raising some concerns about the direction of the sport elsewhere.

Last edited:

withwings

On the Ice
That was certainly not my intention! From those three pair skaters, I personally liked Julianne the most. She was so very engaging when she was on. But that doesn't change the fact that people, especially driven people, want to achieve their goals. A former ski jumper wrote in his book, that he fell into a huge depression, because his material, his skis, weren't competitive, not fast enough. He struggled, because he wanted to stay with this manufacturer, because he was loyal, but he also saw, that he simply wasn't competitive.
I don't blame Charlie, sometimes things just don't work. Lubov knows that as well. And she also knew, that Julianne wasn't fine with the split in the beginning.
You even do not need to explain. You said your opinion and quite clearly. Every opinion matters- thank you for expressing it.
In your post there were no even slightest attempt of blame anyone in anything.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Julianne collaborated to an e-book (in French)
Here is a newspaper article about it.

She talks about untreated injuries, obsession of a perfect body and toxic relationship with her coach... and there is a nice picture of her with Charlie and his partner and kid... so to those who are still demonizing Charlie...

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the link that @4everchan supplied, there is a clip of Julianne and Marie-Christine Noel (the journalist) being interviewed by a radio announcer(?) He has a nice voice. ) It is in French, but it is also very interesting.

One part that stayed with me: the interviewer asked Julianne, (paraphrasing) forgive me, but did you have these problems before figure skating or did figure skating cause them? Julianne said decisively, caused by figure skating.

The figure skating community really needs to find a way to be more supportive. By ending their partnership, Charlie was supportive, even if Julianne could not see it at the time. (Josée does not come off well, however).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The figure skating community really needs to find a way to be more supportive. By ending their partnership, Charlie was supportive, even if Julianne could not see it at the time. (Josée does not come off well, however).
there is a huge culture change in pretty much all sports in Canada right now...
hopefully that will help reduce if not eliminate such stories.
josée has brought many teams to the top... and has been there forever.... I hope she realizes that if she wants to keep coaching, she will need to watch how she speaks to young athletes. I m not too worried for Deanna and Max though. They are mature and equipped to establish the line not to cross ...

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
there is a huge culture change in pretty much all sports in Canada right now...
hopefully that will help reduce if not eliminate such stories.
josée has brought many teams to the top... and has been there forever.... I hope she realizes that if she wants to keep coaching, she will need to watch how she speaks to young athletes. I m not too worried for Deanna and Max though. They are mature and equipped to establish the line not to cross ...

I agree, I thought of Deanna and Maxime, but can you imagine someone trying to shame Deanna into doing something she doesn't feel equipped to do? ;) So I think they are probably safe with Josée.

Weathergal

Medalist
I agree, I thought of Deanna and Maxime, but can you imagine someone trying to shame Deanna into doing something she doesn't feel equipped to do? ;) So I think they are probably safe with Josée.
I immediately thought of Deanna and Max when I read the article and the parts about Josee Picard. I then thought the same thing you did: Deanna won't be having any of that nonsense. But I guess that's exactly the point and why I'm glad to read what 4everchan said about things changing: There should be safeguards for those who are young and/or aren't able or don't feel comfortable having to push back in those situations. And they shouldn't have to.