Chelsea Liu & Balazs Nagy | Golden Skate

Chelsea Liu & Balazs Nagy

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Chelsea Liu also known as Liu Jiaxi (Chinese: 刘家希), born December 31, 1999, in Mashal, Missouri and Balázs Nagy, born 7 September 1998 in Budapest, Hungary, are a pairs team representing the US.

They are the 2023 Skate America bronze medalists.

Chelsea previously competed with Danny O'Shea. She also had partnerships with Xie Zhong for China, with whom she won bronze at the the 2020 Chinese National Championships, and with Ian Meyh for the U.S., with whom she was the 2019 Bavarian Open champion. Earlier in her career, she skated with Brian Johnson and Devin Perini.

Balazs previously skated for Hungary with Maria Pavlova, with whom he placed 11th at the 2022 European Championshops. With his former skating partner in the US, Kate Finster, he is the 2020 U.S. national junior champion, the 2019 U.S. national junior silver medalist, and the 2019 JGP Poland silver medalist.

ISU Bio:
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00117851.htm

Federation Bio:
https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...roster/-nbsp--chelsea-liu-and-balazs-nagy/894

Skating Scores:
https://skatingscores.com/usa/pairs/chelsea_liu_balazs_nagy/

Golden Skate Threads:
Chelsea Liu & Danny O'Shea
Maria Pavlova & Balazs Nagy

ISU Personal Bests

Personal Best Total Score177.66ISU GP Skate America 2023
Personal Best Score Short Program61.23ISU GP Skate America 2023
Personal Best Score Free Skating116.43ISU GP Skate America 2023

Programs

2023-2024 Season
SP: Dive by Ed Sheeran
FS: A Thousand Times Good Night (from "Romeo and Juliet") by Abel Korzeniowski

Results

CompetitionTotal Score
2023-2024
2024 Four Continents7 (175.85)
2024 US Nationals4 (178.83)
2023 NHK Trophy6 (172.60)
2023 Skate America3 (177.66)
2023 Autumn Classic4 (165.20)
2023 Glacier Falls1 (175.91)

Articles & Interview
Liu and Nagy: New Partnership Revamps Passion for Skating
Fresh Faces - Chelsea Liu and Balazs Nagy

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's another wonderful interview of Chelsea and Balazs, by Claire Coultier.

I really love Claire's interviews, which tend to be longer than the usual, and go into what I find to be very interesting questions that pull out surprising answers. This one is no exception!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Here's another wonderful interview of Chelsea and Balazs, by Claire Coultier.

I really love Claire's interviews, which tend to be longer than the usual, and go into what I find to be very interesting questions that pull out surprising answers. This one is no exception!
This is a nice interview. I just read it, and I was coming here to share. The fact that they're both former gymnasts gives a clue to their success, particularly with twists and lifts, which they both love performing. It's nice to learn more about their process and their personalities.

One thing I would ask of @clairecloutier is if she could discuss with Chelsea, in a nice way, the issue of her jump landings on sbs and on throws. It seems to me that Chelsea's long legs get tied up, and often she can't get her free leg out before it touches the ice with the landing leg (doublefooting). I think the issue lies with the length of Chelsea's legs, thus the need for more height, perhaps? And couple greater height with quicker snap on getting that free leg out, so it clears the ice.

I had suggested previously that maybe a football or soccer conditioning and training coach might be helpful, since they work with their athletes on leg strength and quickness. Chelsea may have strength, but perhaps she needs to develop more spring on the jumps, and more quickness in getting her free leg clear.

At SA, it appeared to me that Chels was purposely leaning a bit to her right side, as a strategy, in order to give her left free leg more room to clear the ice. I wonder whether I'm guessing right about this?

Chels and Balasz are such a stylish, engaging team, with great promise. I hope they can receive more competitive opportunities, as well as find someone who can help smooth weaknesses on the throws and on Chels' sbs jump landings.

Congrats to them on their SA bronze medal. 🥉🥳

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I was just noticing again Chelsea's million-watt smile 😍 I am just so happy to see her with this opportunity with such a great partner for her as Balazs. They really seem to be on the same page as to what their goals are: to improve bit by bit and to enjoy every bit of the process. I enjoyed what Balazs said in @clairecloutier's interview: that they're always looking forward to improving something, some goal, at practices, and not necessarily results. Also appreciate his remarks about the calm way of training at their rink; with it laid out what they'll work on each day.

Apparently Chelsea and Balazs have been assigned NHK! I'm so happy for them. :party2::dance3::hap10:

I'm sorry that Emily and Spencer had to withdraw. I wish them good healing, especially Spencer with his recovery from shoulder surgery.