Chubu Regionals (中部選手権大会) B4

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia

n1co

Rinkside
The fact that Kaoruko hadn't withdrawn from Block when she was removed from her JGP is the reason I mentioned in the Japanese Women's thread that major injury was unlikely
The last Womens spot will likey not be filled
My guess to why the fed withdrew her is
1) it's a single spot left so no possibility for final~why waste the money
Prepandemic, Japanese skaters assigned a JGP needed to place 4th or higher (very rarely 5th) to receive or keep a 2nd assignment
If that was still the case, Ayumi would've lost Budapest and Kaoruko would've likely stepped in with a chance for 2 events
2) Even with a "powerful" coach, Kaoruko gets hammered domestically for underrotations
JGP tech panels have been strict this season, so I'm just assuming JSF figured it would likely be the same had she been sent
And If that's true it would actually be better she not develop a reputation abroad for URs at such a young age

That being said she could still be dealing with an injury but is competing at Block in order to qualify for Jr Nationals and not forfeit the entire season
Because every bit of experience is important. The earlier, the better. Otherwise you end up like Yoshida last season at 4cc. One clean RT after another in practice, but flop in competition. But no surprise - this was her first full season with international competitions ever.
Or Kawabe at Olympics.
Or Watanabe last season - suddenly in medal contention, not knowing how to approach competitions after early success.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Because every bit of experience is important. The earlier, the better. Otherwise you end up like Yoshida last season at 4cc. One clean RT after another in practice, but flop in competition. But no surprise - this was her first full season with international competitions ever.
Or Kawabe at Olympics.
Or Watanabe last season - suddenly in medal contention, not knowing how to approach competitions after early success.
I totally agree!
Don't get me wrong, I fully agree that Kaoruko should have been sent to compete regardless of being assigned only 1 JGP (though if it was up to me she would've had 2 outright)
Taking JSF's past actions into consideration, I'm just guessing at the most likely reasons they might have decided to withdraw her
It's really unfortunate and honestly quite rude the federation chose to forfeit 2 Men's and 1 Women's spots (so far)
Such a wasted opportunity, not only for their own athletes but also skaters from other countries who could've benefited from the spot/experience
That's what upsets me the most about the situation

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Competition Day 3 Video

Sorry for the delay :pray:
All events from this competition are now temporarily available to view on FOD
I plan on recording select performances that I originally missed
Please let me know if there are any other programs you'd be interested in seeing

Senior Women FS
Mana Kawabe
Rino Matsuike
Mako Yamashita
Miyabi Oba

Junior Women FS
Kaoruko Wada
Kinayu Yokoi
Nana Sugiyama
Mei Okada
Thank you so much!! 🙏
Was dying to watch all 8 of these free skates!!
I will watch these later on tonight

rabidline

Final Flight

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Senior Women FS
Mana Kawabe
Rino Matsuike
Mako Yamashita
Miyabi Oba

Mana proved why she is one of the 9 Senior Women chosen to represent Japan in the Senior GP circuit. She has been consistently skating 190+ in this summer circuit. She does her combos at the beginning probably because she isn’t too consistent with these combos. She had two errors in her jumps. I like her Bolero interpretation. She is heading towards a season where she will be the 4-6 best skater from Japan and 4-6 at her GP events and a SB enough to be in the top 24 to secure another season. So, good enough, but, not great.
Rino… she is a star. She is one of my favourite skaters… I think second behind Rion. Too many errors on her jumps. But, the judges are willing to give her the scores, if she lands her triples. Will be rooting for her. She is someone I miss. I think she moved to Seniors too quickly. I hope my 2nd fave skater in the world can breakthrough this year to make it to the international circuit next year. Will be nervous for her at Sectionals and Nationals.
Mako - Amazing 3Lz
Miyabi- I loved her choreographic section. She seems to be doing skating for fun. I hope she makes it to Nationals. I thought her score was too low.

Junior Women FS
Kaoruko Wada
Kinayu Yokoi
Nana Sugiyama
Mei Okada

Kaoruko was clean 😭
Makes me sad that she won’t get a chance to compete at JGP. It would have been good for her to get some international exposure prior to next year.
Kinayu is why I love the Yokoi sisters. Big jumps. Her 3S 3T is huge!! I miss Yuhana; but, Yuhana is well represented through Kinayu
Kinayu is miles ahead of Haruna in terms of jumps and skating skills too. She has a case to also be representing Japan too.
I guess these two need to prove this during Junior Nationals. Will be rooting for these two to place in the top 7 at Nationals 😝
Nana was good too. I thought her scores should have been higher
Also, Mei is a new junior for me to keep an eye on. I loved her program.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Seriously there is not a coherent reason to not let Kaoruko take part in the jgp, even if it's just one event she could place in the podium easily with those kind of performances, heck she could even win the whole competition, she is so talented, why she didn't get two spots in the first place???, I hope it's not something stupid like the differences from Machiko and Mihoko coaches. Now it's very easy for Minsol to qualify for the jgpf

Last edited:

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Seriously there is not a coherent reason to not let Kaoruko take part in the jgp, even if it's just one event she could place in the podium easily with those kind of performances, heck she could even win the whole competition, she is so talented, why she didn't get two spots in the first place???, I hope it's not something stupid like the differences from Machiko and Mihoko coaches. Now it's very easy for Minsol to qualify for the jgpf

To make it even more frustrating, not sure if JSF realizes that if Kaoruko podiums & pushes down Minsol to bronze, it'll mean that Yo Takagi actually gets to go to JGPF instead of Minsol. Kaoruko has no chance of getting to JGPF but she might help another Japanese skater makes it :palmf:

No hate against Minsol, I actually like her - but JSF's action is dumbfounding. Unless Kaoruko has her own personal reasons I guess.... I hope everything is alright from her side.

hermine17

Final Flight
I can finally catch up on the videos. Thank you so much as always tsuyoboogie.:pray::pray::pray: I'd love to see Koko Otsubo's free skate if it's possible. I've never seen her skate; I think it was Kinayu who mentioned her at some point on Twitter (or some other sm) and I've been curious about her ever since.