Could anyone do this move? Or has anyone? | Golden Skate

Could anyone do this move? Or has anyone?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Last night when I was lying in bed I was thinking how cool it would be if a woman in pairs could land her throw and then go right into a jump, like a jump combination. Would this be possible, or would her momentum coming out of the throw be too strong to enable her to start another jump? Could the man join her in the jump, or would he not have built up enough speed if he was standing almost in one place while he threw the woman?

I'm not a skater myself, btw.

andromache

Record Breaker
Feel like there was a practice video of Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford doing this. I'm sure someone else can help find that if I'm right?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Feel like there was a practice video of Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford doing this. I'm sure someone else can help find that if I'm right?

Yep I'm pretty sure D/R have done this in a practice.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

That's funny, because when I pictured it in my head, it was Duhamel doing it. Maybe I saw it on Facebook briefly and then forgot about it.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Here's a throw closely followed by side-by-side jumps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQZkxKaQvvA&t=3m29s

But there's a turn and step in between.

In theory she could put the triple toe directly on the landing of the throw, assuming she lands it well enough, and he could turn around almost immediately after throwing her to do the jump himself. But it would be hard for him to have enough speed to get a triple after throwing her, it would be really hard for them to get unison on the jumps with each of them doing different entrances and him not being able to see her when he takes off, and her ability to do the second jump at all would depend on how well she lands the throw (assuming she does in fact land it).

So very risky.

And even so I think it would have to count as two separate elements. It's not as though the man can take off immediately after a throw without at least one turn and/or step.

It might be possible to make the transition between throw and side-by-side jumps with steps in between more seamless than this pair does, for better GOE on both.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
what i love in this video is the eh eh laughter.... i would bet it's bruno's but i have no proof LOL

Zhafiraiha

On the Ice
I'm a bit new to the skating world, and I only very recently figured out how a quad is considered the most difficult jump and I saw a lot of men succeeded in attempting quads last season but not the ladies? Have any ladies ever done quads in competition? I thought skaters like Zhenya, Mao, or Yuna have tried them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warwick360

Medalist
Last edited:

Warwick360

Medalist
Is this because biologically it's more difficult for women?

Probably. Men are physically stronger than ladies (generally). Also generally greater speed. And if many of the top men are anything to go by, they've got stronger legs to launch themselves into the air.

breadstal

Record Breaker
I'm a bit new to the skating world, and I only very recently figured out how a quad is considered the most difficult jump and I saw a lot of men succeeded in attempting quads last season but not the ladies? Have any ladies ever done quads in competition? I thought skaters like Zhenya, Mao, or Yuna have tried them?

Mao tried quad sal when she was young but it was not close (salchow is not her good jump anyway), Evgenia wants to try it and I think she has somewhat chance. I've never heard about Yuna trying quad (she was practicing triple axels though) probably because she had so much injuries at the beginning of her career. Sasha Cohen landed one in practice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adbq89r-8pw