Crusin' to Bali Via Alaska | Golden Skate

Crusin' to Bali Via Alaska

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Here is a short report and a few pics of my last (of 4) Alaska cruise. I have lots more pics and info. A few additions. The crew wears masks always inside and mostly outside. They are allowed to pull off their mask for pics. The singers, dancers and string quartets, etc dont wear masks in general during performances.

Every year I tell my wife I am cruising to Alaska, but that’s not quite true. In fact, this trip I never got off the boat. I like to talk with the crew members, especially those from Thailand (number growing), Indonesia and the Philippines. The Environmental officer would sit out on the stern every night so I would go out there and talk with him. He is from Toronto. Besides all my engineering questions, he talked about the lives of the crew members, officers and staff, much of which I knew after 8 cruises and much of which I didn’t. He says that they don’t have to specially train Indonesians and Filipinos on how to interact with pax. They are naturally friendly, polite, helpful, and hard working. Some sing while they work. They call you by your name (Mr. Chris) only after meeting you once….it’s amazing. I carry paper maps with me and maps on my phone so when I ask them where they are from, I can see where Bali is. There used to be these wonderful crew shows where the staff from say the Philippians would sing or do the national dance of their country, but right now there is no time to practice. Ships are still short staffed. So while I may get up and see Alaska out my veranda, I get to see and learn so much more.

Officers in general stay aboard three months on and three months off. Staff have 6-8 month contracts and then stay home a couple months. Often times, they are providing for three generations back home. It’s a hard life. They may work 11-12 hour days or more with a 2-3 hour break….The same lady, Josephine, who seats me at breakfast seats me dinner. No days off. The entertainment staff have life a bit easier.

My Room attendants, Ricky and Jo. I know they are busy so I tell them they dont have to come in after supper and turn down the sheets and place chocolate on the pillow.
Ricky and Jo.jpg

I always have a big breakfast and then fast walk the promenade deck for two miles. I have a light lunch and a medium dinner.
Salmon ommlette and banana bread french toast. and bacon. All you want. I take along bottle and have them fill it with juice for my room.
a breakfast.jpg

This is Josephine and her crew. They find a seat for your and then someone takes you to your seat. They are so wonderful.
josephine.jpg

Joesephine and seating staff.jpg

This is Kris from south of Manilla. She has a three year old daughter at home. The child will be 4 when she sees her again. Even though they are tipped from a pot every day of $15 a pax, and there is a tip in the alchohol drink charge, I always slip the hard working drink servers a few bucks...depending on their country, their pay is sent home and of course their family can send them money but a few dollars to spend at walmarts are appreciated.
Kris from South of Manilla.jpg

June says that if you mention your fav staff in the after sail survey, it helps them along...maybe even a job in one of the specialty restaurants.
IMG_20220513_191325625_copy_700x460.jpg

Penelope works in a specialty restaruant. You cant believe how hard they work and how attentive they are and how nice.
Penelope.jpg

Just one more Pina Colada!
pinian colada.jpg

Morning view from my stateroom
view from room.jpg

The seating staff soon learns where you like to sit in the dining room...I like the rear where I can watch receeding volcanos.
view from dinner table.jpg

I go to the Lincoln Center in the evening and listen to the string quartets/Piano players. Anna was amazing. Sometimes they would preform on the main stage theater to a movie from BBC Earth on a screen every bit as big as a movie theater. (see next thread)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I go to the Lincoln Center in the evening and listen to the string quartets/Piano players. Anna was amazing. Sometimes they would preform on the main stage theater to a movie from BBC Earth on a screen every bit as big as a movie theater. Phillip the chelloist is from Pakistan, Maria the Viola ist is from Transylvania and the piano player is from Greece.
anna takeda.jpg

I of course fell desparately in love with her...at least till I found bottomless shrimp!
IMG_20220508_183120759_copy_547x564.jpg

The Captain is Dutch. He is a real card. At the Ask the Captain lecture on the main stage he was asked what would he do if all four navigational aids failed.....He said, "Then I would take your iPhone!"
IMG_20220513_090420792.jpg

The MS Eurodam used to get alot closer to the Marjorie Glacier in Glacier bay national park...we did not get this close although I have been on her when she did. You can see and hear the calving and feel the boat rock. Tidewater glaciers are about 270 ft high and a mile wide and 25 miles long. The bow is openned up for the pax and they serve Dutch Pea soup. May is a good month as much of sothern Alaska is a rain forest but May tends to be good weather. I enjoy the smaller boats without water slides and go cart tracks that cater to older people. Questions?
MS Eurodam Marjeri glacier.jpg

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sounds like a wonderful time! Getting to know the crew is always fun! It is NOT easy work, that's for sure. Due to the nature of our itinerary, on our Viking river cruises, we had many crew members from Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Serbia, and always the Philippines.I really want to get back to cruising but just don't feel comfortable about it yet. :console:

Thx for your report. Sounds like a lot of fun. Great photos. I would have loved hearing the violinst.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sounds like you had a great time Chris!

Back when I was cruising frequently (Caribbean for me) it was great fun to stay on the ship (no, I did not need to see Charlotte Amalie a fifth time ;) ). But I was just lazy and sat in the hot tub .... by myself, not easy on a ship! ... and looked out on the sea.🚢🚢🚢

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Sounds like a wonderful time! Getting to know the crew is always fun! It is NOT easy work, that's for sure. Due to the nature of our itinerary, on our Viking river cruises, we had many crew members from Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Serbia, and always the Philippines.I really want to get back to cruising but just don't feel comfortable about it yet. :console:

Thx for your report. Sounds like a lot of fun. Great photos. I would have loved hearing the violinst.
River cruising would be great! My last ship had a guy who was the future cruise expert from Romania...great guy...I asked him if he was from Transylvania and he said yes so I asked him if he was a vampire...he laughed and said no but his wife in the next office was...she smiled and waved....LOL!!!! Romania is a beautiful country.
Its so hard to predict how the pandemic will play out, I wouldnt book anything in Europe right now....I would like to see Normandy....
Anna is amazing....here she is in Carnegie Hall Three years ago.....
anna.jpg

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Sounds like you had a great time Chris!

Back when I was cruising frequently (Caribbean for me) it was great fun to stay on the ship (no, I did not need to see Charlotte Amalie a fifth time ;) ). But I was just lazy and sat in the hot tub .... by myself, not easy on a ship! ... and looked out on the sea.🚢🚢🚢
Yeah, there are plenty of ways to avoid people. I pretty much live on the fan tail with the hot tub watching the sea go by...or walking the empty promanade.....the hot tube was mostly empty on our ship.
IMG_20220508_141154402_HDR_copy_614x318.jpg

IMG_20220511_205838492_copy_562x273.jpg

Watching for sea mammals and birds.....
x promanade.jpg

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
River cruising would be great! My last ship had a guy who was the future cruise expert from Romania...great guy...I asked him if he was from Transylvania and he said yes so I asked him if he was a vampire...he laughed and said no but his wife in the next office was...she smiled and waved....LOL!!!! Romania is a beautiful country.
Its so hard to predict how the pandemic will play out, I wouldnt book anything in Europe right now....I would like to see Normandy....
Anna is amazing....here she is in Carnegie Hall Three years ago.....
Transylvania is beautiful country! I spent a week there and loved it...Yes, go to Normandy!