Dalilah Sappenfield Under SafeSport Suspension | Golden Skate

Dalilah Sappenfield Under SafeSport Suspension

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

This is a temporary suspension while investigation proceeds.

Although there are no details, we do know Sappenfield coached both John Coughlin and TJ Nyman.

TSL reports up to 12 complaints against Sappenfield.

Following this suspension, Sappenfield cannot coach without another adult being present until the temporary suspension is lifted

No USFS team skaters are currently with Sappenfield. However, she was with Crafoord & Crafoord SWE at Cranberry Cup recently

SafeSport link:

Name
Dalilah Sappenfield
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Sport Affiliation(s)
U.S. Figure Skating
Misconduct
Allegations of Misconduct
Action Taken
Temporary Restriction(s)
Additional Detail
Travel / Lodging Restriction(s), Coaching / Training Restriction(s), Contact / Communication Limitation(s), No Contact Directive(s)
Date of Issuance
09/03/2021
Adjudicating Body
U.S. Center for SafeSport

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, finally. But do you suppose she'll just get a one year punishment and then have it go away with an appeal, like with Zimmerman?
Most likely. It seems SafeSport has no real teeth, and I don't doubt that that's entirely by design.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hadn't heard about Zimmerman's appeal. Do you have more info on that?
I've seen some people reference social media posts that Zimmerman's appeal was successful, but I don't see an article from an established news outlet. Still, I don't doubt that he has been reinstated.

SafeSport seems a bit of a toothless tiger, at least in this case.

ice_tulip

On the Ice
So the trend seems to be the following:

1) Safesport announces a suspension
2) People are satisfied that justice (in some capacity) has been served and the abuser has been punished
3) Chatter about the case dies down due to suspension & apparent resolution
4) Once eyes & ears are off the case, Safesport quietly reverses the suspension and the abusers are granted their power again.

Do I have that right?

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

2) People are satisfied that justice (in some capacity) has been served and the abuser has been punished
4) Once eyes & ears are off the case, Safesport quietly reverses the suspension and the abusers are granted their power again.

Do I have that right?
No. As far as I know, it's independent arbitrators that the appeals go to. So Safesport is not the one reversing decisions.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Do I have that right?
The independent arbiters overturn; however, their power is so weak, that in another sport, IIRC, a rapist who admitted it had his suspension overturned, so you can see how effective that is.