Deniss Vasiljevs | Page 141 | Golden Skate

Deniss Vasiljevs

icetug

Medalist
Any enthusiasts of baking out there? It seems that Deniss has got something for you ;)

As I try to keep fit, I pretend my baking oven doesn't work :laugh:. But maybe it miraculously starts to work before my birthday and I'll follow the recipe?

This account has posted some content from nationals

And gives a proof of training 4S (? I still can for one hundred percent tell only axel and loop apart :hopelessness:)

https://mobile.twitter.com/Emily_Xme/status/1206551549293584385

icetug

Medalist
It has escaped my attention why they have cancelled Christmas on ice!:scratch2:

Maybe instead of "cancelled" I should have written "not organized" as they didn't even try to make a show this year... Don't know why, but guess the Japanese Nationals takes all the attention of fs community and fans in the week usually XOI was organized.

DenissVFan

Medalist
As I try to keep fit, I pretend my baking oven doesn't work :laugh:. But maybe it miraculously starts to work before my birthday and I'll follow the recipe?

Remember that you can add some carrot tops to the recipe to make it more fit :laugh:

And gives a proof of training 4S (? I still can for one hundred percent tell only axel and loop apart :hopelessness:)

https://mobile.twitter.com/Emily_Xme/status/1206551549293584385

Yup, that's a sal. With an interesting on-ice transition after the fall :p

AgnesR

On the Ice
Just 20 minutes ago a lovely material was shown on Latvian TV "Sporta Studija"

https://replay.lsm.lv/lv/ieraksts/ltv/175415/deniss-vasiljevs-loti-gaidiju-iespeju-uzstaties-latvija

I'll try to give a short summary of it.

Here it is.

There are some Latvian athletes who are very popular abroad. If we speak about Japan, then certainly it’s Deniss Vasiljevs to whom Japanese fans give a lot of compliments and create plenty of drawings in their typical style. But he has a lot of fans here as well. Marupe Ice hall was full of Deniss’s supporters and the TV camera man had to wait for quite a long time to take the interview.

Deniss was the only senior men in this year's Latvian Championship. Arriving in Latvia on Friday afternoon, he performed both programs on Saturday evening, as on Sunday morning at 6 a.m. he had to go to Osaka training camp.:shocked:

"It is very difficult, not physically, but psychologically, to skate both programs, but I pulled myself together and overcame myself. I really wanted to take part in the nationals because it is my only performance in Latvia. I was very inspired by Mao Osada's idea of going outside the big cities and do shows for youngsters. For me, this idea came to my heart and I think the new skaters might learn something from me. And this was a rare opportunity to meet my parents." (I can assure you that the junior figure skaters were carried away by Deniss and applauded passionately):clap:

This year Deniss arrived without his legendary coach Lambiel, as he was with another student in Sweden.:( He was accompanied by his manager Christopher Trevisan and assistant coach Anna Bernauer.:) Deniss has been training for the fourth year in Switzerland and has no plans to change anything. :no:

"When I got there, the school was recently opened. Now I can say that every year the work there improves and there is more and more opportunities to make progress. It's something I couldn't find elsewhere else. It makes up my life and I'm happy to be with someone who was my idol when I was little. ":yes:

Then his ups-and-downs of the previous two seasons are mentioned and pointed out that his results are good this year. He says he had a pain in his leg in Canada, but he managed to overcome himself and show a good skate. "I’m happy that I feel psychologically stronger this season and I think that step by step it will improve, so that I can show my best skating in Beijing."

Right now Deniss is a 2nd year student at Daugavpils University. At university he has the opportunity to brush up his Latvian, because nowhere else he can do it. Yet his professors allow him to hand in works in English as well. (Just now I understood why Deniss's Latvian was so good) Last time he was home is summer and he doesn't know when the next will be. :(

Last edited:

DenissVFan

Medalist
Thanks a lot for the translation, Agnes! Wow, I didn't know that Deniss was already at university, and in his second year at that. I remember him considering different options in the Olympic season but I don't remember him talking about enrollment. But it's not that surprising since Deniss seems to be an avid learner :)

icetug

Medalist
Thank you very much for the translation, Agnes :thank:. A lot of information in quite a short interview :)

So Deniss was going for a training camp to Osaka - I guess at Kansai University ice rink in Takatsuki, the home rink of Rika and Satoko among others, what can be a part of a deal with Japanese coaches. The Nationals take place in Tokio however so I wonder if Deniss goes to cheer for his friends or stays in Osaka to train with a local coach. We'll see very soon ;)

AgnesR

On the Ice
If you go to Daugavpils Deniss Vasiljevs Fan Club, you can read a full interview and comments!:thumbsup:

icetug

Medalist
so I wonder if Deniss goes to cheer for his friends or stays in Osaka to train with a local coach. We'll see very soon ;)

First we could read in Koshiro's thread (thank you, Tsurara!) that Deniss came with Stephane and his rinkmate(s) to Tokyo and was seen training along and then going with Stephane to see ladies SP. And yesterday he came to see men SP and was reportedly chatting with Marin Honda who came cheering for her brother. However in that photo it looks like they exhausted all the conversation topics ;).

DenissVFan

Medalist
First we could read in Koshiro's thread (thank you, Tsurara!) that Deniss came with Stephane and his rinkmate(s) to Tokyo and was seen training along and then going with Stephane to see ladies SP. And yesterday he came to see men SP and was reportedly chatting with Marin Honda who came cheering for her brother. However in that photo it looks like they exhausted all the conversation topics ;).

A great opportunity for Deniss to both train and watch such a great competition. I am simultaneously slightly disappointed and relieved that he can't participate in it :p

Btw, Deniss spotted with a phone :p hahaha.

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Hey everyone... I hope I can find time to write a longer report about the Champéry show.. (no costume though for Deniss but he put his head in a minion costume briefly at the very end ;) )

But here is the Info about the Fanmeeting that will take place at Europeans. (I give the link to facebook because I think I am not allowed to post my Emailadress here publicly):

Hope to see some of you there :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DenissVasiljevsFanClub/permalink/2919611958049843/