Did the ISU make an anti stuffie rule? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Did the ISU make an anti stuffie rule?

Magill

Record Breaker
Many skaters donate the stuffies to places like children's hospitals (I know Jason Brown does, or did pre COVID. I believe Yuzuru did). Skaters who don't get a lot of praise or attention actually keep them.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's that wasteful and skaters like it, so as I drive around in my 14 year old Prius, I'm cool with it. :)
Yuzuru was giving his Poohrains away to local hospitals, nurseries and orphanages for sure. AFAIK, also Zhenya Medvedeva picked up the habit when she moved to train in Canada so it seems it might have been a local tradition in TCC shared by all or most of the skaters there. I actually really appreciate it. I guess it was nice to know for all those involved that apart from honoring their favourite skater they were actually contributing to some greater good.:)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
While it's sweet to see a couple of gifts, it does strike me as a bit wasteful/not environmentally friendly to see loads of gifts thrown on the ice.
My brother is a collector of stuffies, every kind from thrift shop rescues ("Never make eye contact with them," he says, "or you're lost") to pricey OOAK artist-made bears. He gets very indignant when he sees them thrown down from the stands onto the ice. Stuffy Abuse! :jaw::love:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My brother is a collector of stuffies, every kind from thrift shop rescues ("Never make eye contact with them," he says, "or you're lost") to pricey OOAK artist-made bears. He gets very indignant when he sees them thrown down from the stands onto the ice. Stuffy Abuse! :jaw::love:

:laugh:

Many of the ones thrown to Jason now, since they know he is going to Ronald McDonald House with them, are kept with care in original packaging. He may be assuaged.

Plus I will condone plushie abuse for moments like this:

noskates

Record Breaker
Several years in a row Smuckers had those small strawberries that were given out to people to throw on the ice. I hated them. They were about the size of a tennis ball and took FOREVER to clear the ice. I always felt sorry for the skater waiting in the wings to go out and skate. I hope they've been banned.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Several years in a row Smuckers had those small strawberries that were given out to people to throw on the ice. I hated them. They were about the size of a tennis ball and took FOREVER to clear the ice. I always felt sorry for the skater waiting in the wings to go out and skate. I hope they've been banned.
That's another reason some events or venues ban throw-ons, the extra time it takes to clear the ice. Flowers were the worst, before they started shrouding them in plastic (which then looked blank and pointless). Leaves and petals all over the ice. I've done competition duty as a kid picking everything up and woe betide you if you missed a leaf and the next skater fell because of it!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skate Canada posted a super cute pic of Kaiya in their stories with a bunch of stuffies yesterday. I am assuming she didn't bring those with her, so fans somehow got them to her.
I was thinking they may be throwing them or passing them down into the K&C. I had to do that with Gracie’s roses at Nats this time because I couldn’t throw them on the ice.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Smuckers hasn’t been a sponsor in ages.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's another reason some events or venues ban throw-ons, the extra time it takes to clear the ice. Flowers were the worst, before they started shrouding them in plastic (which then looked blank and pointless). Leaves and petals all over the ice. I've done competition duty as a kid picking everything up and woe betide you if you missed a leaf and the next skater fell because of it!
If they aren’t flowers, tiny Smuckers strawberries, or Hanyu Poohcooalypses they are cleaned before the scores are read. I would never throw Gracie’s roses on the ice.

I love throwing them to juniors. Stuffies for all skaters!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well well... there was even announcement that it was forbidden to throw anything on the ice. I didn't see a drop-box like in previous years... but I didn't go out of my way to inspect the entire area... but I doubt there was any. I know some fans mention that skaters donate their stuffies to charity.. but here is a kicker : many charities no longer accept them because of bed bugs and other problems.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
well well... there was even announcement that it was forbidden to throw anything on the ice. I didn't see a drop-box like in previous years... but I didn't go out of my way to inspect the entire area... but I doubt there was any. I know some fans mention that skaters donate their stuffies to charity.. but here is a kicker : many charities no longer accept them because of bed bugs and other problems.
I’m surprised they don’t if they are brand new. Used ones could be a problem.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kirk LOVED the one I threw. He likes fowl. And he very politely thanked me on his IG. His parents are doing a great job!!!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’m surprised they don’t if they are brand new. Used ones could be a problem.

well... how do you think they would deal with that? Have someone decide what looks new or what doesn't look new? So they just don't accept any.
Tags are a good start, though not infallible, to decide new/used Most new stuffies have tags on them (unless the donor removes them), though some used ones do as well.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
well... how do you think they would deal with that? Have someone decide what looks new or what doesn't look new? So they just don't accept any.
They are accepted here at the hospital and police officers cars for when they have a call with children. That's all I know.
Jason is giving his out in other countries (as well as the US) and who knows what regulations they have there.

icewhite

Record Breaker
People who make anti-stuffy rules also eat children.

Seriously, there are certainly things to consider and possible downsides, but I think the stuffie throwing in figure skating in general is one of the sweetest things humans do, so please organizers, try to find a way to make it possible.
Do people really throw their used ones on the ice? I mean, I'm sure there are individual cases where that happens - like just everything that can happen happens on earth, but those must be absolutely rare cases. Usually they are bought just for the skater. Also, of course it's possible there's something dangerous in them, they are poisoned or whatever, but someone who wants to do harm will find other ways in case the plushies are forbidden.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Seriously, there are certainly things to consider and possible downsides, but I think the stuffie throwing in figure skating in general is one of the sweetest things humans do, so please organizers, try to find a way to make it possible.
Do people really throw their used ones on the ice? I mean, I'm sure there are individual cases where that happens - like just everything that can happen happens on earth, but those must be absolutely rare cases. Usually they are bought just for the skater. Also, of course it's possible there's something dangerous in them, they are poisoned or whatever, but someone who wants to do harm will find other ways in case the plushies are forbidden.
There are more than one factor. We see more and more charities asking for money rather than "things". They can then use the money to cater directly to the needs of sick children etc. So when this sort of migration of donation type happens, of course things will have to change. It is a question of logistics, human resources and space. If the charity has moved on to collecting money instead of goodies, then they will not have a storage space or staff sorting through things. The other day, I was walking on the street. It was a pedestrian only area where people walk around, drink on terrasses etc... and there was a charitable organisation there, collecting gifts. You couldn't give them any cash. There were a few stations where you had options to just use your chip card and press one button 5, 10 or 25 dollars. It was made super simple, super easy to give, no fuss, no money, not even a choice of the amount you give... three simple options. I thought it was brilliant. But yeah, this charity would no longer accept goodies for sure. Even the Red Cross is changing. Whenever there was a natural disaster, people would send blankets, clothes, toys, non-perishable food, and now, they often ask for money. It makes sense to me. I am not addressing in any manner the sadness it may provoke to skating fans when venues decide to forbid plushies... simply saying that it's not that easy everywhere to donate those.. and if skaters cannot donate them, it's quite a waste... also considering who makes these plushies, with what material... etc... are these plushies made in poor regions using child labour? Are they made of material that are not good for the environment? Yes... I am going too deep.. But I think it's acceptable not to accept plushies at competitions. How many spiderman plushies did Boyang receive in his entire life? :) Of course, I am the kind of person who doesn't keep these things... the number of medals my mom had saved for me from swimming years... and when I saw the boxes, I immediately put all of it in the recycling/trash bin ... my mom freaked out... I was like, what am I supposed to do with this???

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada

In the world of doll and stuffy collecting (me and my brother respectively), once one has been bought and removed from its box or wrapping, if any, or even just had its price tag removed, and is passed on to someone else, it's classed as Used for the purpose of reselling. The charity shop has no way of knowing where it's been or who handled it even if it looks clean and new, so they make a blanket rule. They don't have the staff with the expertise to research every item that gets dropped off at their shops, or the facilities to put every stuffy through a thorough laundering to make sure.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
There are more than one factor. We see more and more charities asking for money rather than "things". They can then use the money to cater directly to the needs of sick children etc. So when this sort of migration of donation type happens, of course things will have to change. It is a question of logistics, human resources and space. If the charity has moved on to collecting money instead of goodies, then they will not have a storage space or staff sorting through things. The other day, I was walking on the street. It was a pedestrian only area where people walk around, drink on terrasses etc... and there was a charitable organisation there, collecting gifts. You couldn't give them any cash. There were a few stations where you had options to just use your chip card and press one button 5, 10 or 25 dollars. It was made super simple, super easy to give, no fuss, no money, not even a choice of the amount you give... three simple options. I thought it was brilliant. But yeah, this charity would no longer accept goodies for sure. Even the Red Cross is changing. Whenever there was a natural disaster, people would send blankets, clothes, toys, non-perishable food, and now, they often ask for money. It makes sense to me. I am not addressing in any manner the sadness it may provoke to skating fans when venues decide to forbid plushies... simply saying that it's not that easy everywhere to donate those.. and if skaters cannot donate them, it's quite a waste... also considering who makes these plushies, with what material... etc... are these plushies made in poor regions using child labour? Are they made of material that are not good for the environment? Yes... I am going too deep.. But I think it's acceptable not to accept plushies at competitions. How many spiderman plushies did Boyang receive in his entire life? :) Of course, I am the kind of person who doesn't keep these things... the number of medals my mom had saved for me from swimming years... and when I saw the boxes, I immediately put all of it in the recycling/trash bin ... my mom freaked out... I was like, what am I supposed to do with this???
I had a drawerful of medals and small trophies from a wide variety of activities and only a couple had my name engraved on them. I took all the rest and sold them on eBay. If someone wanted to pretend they'd won whatever event in whatever activity it was, that was fine with me.