edea overture or chorus?? | Golden Skate

edea overture or chorus??

lucyskates

Rinkside
I'm completely new here so I apologise if this is in the wrong place!

I'm looking for some advice on what Edea model would suit me best. For some context, I'm almost 22 and I'm quite stocky at about 126 pounds at 5'2. My edges are pretty decent and my one foot spin is okay-ish, and I'm working on sit-spins. I can jump waltz, salchow, toe-loop and loop and am working towards lutz and flip. I skate about three/four times a week for two hours at a time.

I'm currently in Overtures and have had them for a while but am finding they're breaking down pretty fast (as I know many find is the case with Edeas). I'm also wondering if they're giving me enough support now that my jumps are getting higher and more powerful, and I find myself holding back sometimes like I'm scared they aren't going to support my landings. My knees have also been a bit dodgy since my jumps have gotten more powerful (this may be completely unrelated though).

I've heard that the stiffness rating for Edeas is more for children and teens and that adults might need a stiffer boot but is that the case? I've heard people say you can't overboot in Edeas but I think I'd feel a bit pretentious turning up to the rink in Chorus or Ice Flys to only jump singles. I don't know if I ever will jump doubles but I'm not ruling it out completely.

Does anyone have any thoughts/own experiences? Should I stick to Overture or consider going up a boot or two?

Thanks Xxx

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Yes, many skaters find their Edeas to break down a bit on the early side. If you feel like you aren't being properly supported, you aren't. Time for new boots. As a fully grown adult, you should be in boots rated one level up from the standard, unless you are very small. That means Chorus for single jumps. Also, you should stop jumping until you can get new boots, from your description you are risking an injury every time you jump.

lucyskates

Rinkside
Yes, many skaters find their Edeas to break down a bit on the early side. If you feel like you aren't being properly supported, you aren't. Time for new boots. As a fully grown adult, you should be in boots rated one level up from the standard, unless you are very small. That means Chorus for single jumps. Also, you should stop jumping until you can get new boots, from your description you are risking an injury every time you jump.
thank you so much! I thought I was maybe just overthinking it.
I'm definitely not very small aha so you're probably right,
thanks again :)

what blades would you recommend for chorus for someone my level?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi, welcome @lucyskates!
My first question is going to be: What is your foot like? Because if you have a wider or 'stocky' foot as well then you probably shouldn't even be in Edea. With all the info I have thus far though and if Edea is for you based on a professional fitting, you should be in a Chorus. Due to height/weight/powerful jumps and a million other factors, you would be in a stiffer boot than normal and if you do start to get bigger and more rotation jumps, you would go up to Concerto.

Mid level blade: MK Pro or JW Coro Ace.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

lucyskates

Rinkside
Hi, welcome @lucyskates!
My first question is going to be: What is your foot like? Because if you have a wider or 'stocky' foot as well then you probably shouldn't even be in Edea. With all the info I have thus far though and if Edea is for you based on a professional fitting, you should be in a Chorus. Due to height/weight/powerful jumps and a million other factors, you would be in a stiffer boot than normal and if you do start to get bigger and more rotation jumps, you would go up to Concerto.

Mid level blade: MK Pro or JW Coro Ace.

Good luck! :)
my feet are just about normal I think, not narrow and not wide. Edea seem to fit me like a glove and I don’t think I could skate in anything else :)

thanks again !!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
my feet are just about normal I think, not narrow and not wide. Edea seem to fit me like a glove and I don’t think I could skate in anything else :)

thanks again !!
I was referring more to arch, and does one have a greek, roman, etc foot, and many more things. Have you had a professional fit you and measure you properly? If you don't have experience and haven't had a pro fitting (measured and traced foot) etc. you wouldn't know if you are wearing the right brand, and fitting you like a glove is not the way, but as a Pro, what do I know?! :shrug: :LOL:

Anyway, I had given you blade suggestion for your needs and level, did you see that?

Last edited:

lucyskates

Rinkside
I was referring more to arch, and does one have a greek, roman, etc foot, and many more things. Have you had a professional fit you and measure you properly? If you don't have experience and haven't had a pro fitting (measured and traced foot) etc. you wouldn't know if you are wearing the right brand, and fitting you like a glove is not the way, but as a Pro, what do I know?! :shrug: :LOL:

Anyway, I had given you blade suggestion for your needs and level, did you see that?
yeah I did thanks!! :)

unfortunately the nearest place that does professional skate fitting is miles away from me and I can’t drive, and can’t really afford to be getting the train/taxi all that way, and I don’t really have the time anyway because I’m at uni Monday to Friday and then work Saturday and Sunday :(

my rink is pretty small and when I got my skates at the shop there it was more a case of do they fit okay? yeah, then they’ll be fine :/

I think Edea are working for me because my skating has improved A LOT, I just don’t think they have enough support for me and should be a bit stiffer :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
yeah I did thanks!! :)

unfortunately the nearest place that does professional skate fitting is miles away from me and I can’t drive, and can’t really afford to be getting the train/taxi all that way, and I don’t really have the time anyway because I’m at uni Monday to Friday and then work Saturday and Sunday :(

my rink is pretty small and when I got my skates at the shop there it was more a case of do they fit okay? yeah, then they’ll be fine :/

I think Edea are working for me because my skating has improved A LOT, I just don’t think they have enough support for me and should be a bit stiffer :)
I'm sorry to hear that basically, you were more than likely fit by someone that doesn't even know figure skates and how to fit them, more hockey based. I cannot stress the importance of a professional fitting.

I wish you luck.