Edea sizing help | Golden Skate

Edea sizing help

jasonditalia13

Spectator
Hi I had a quick question regarding sizing of edea boots. I do not have access to any fitters in my country and hence when I went to buy new skates i ended up buying edea overtures in size 280, however now they are breaking down but i think i have gotten the wrong size as my ankle doesn't stay "locked in" place and moves a little in the boot aswell as some pain on the side of the foot (i have flat feet).
I measured my feet and my left foot is 259mm and my right is 263mm and so i am not sure if to buy edea 265mm or 270mm and if i should try a different width or stick to standard (C). Does anyone have any idea or suggestions?

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Correct fitting of skates doesn't only involve each foot's lenght, but also width, shape/type, height/weight of the skater, how does he/she walk (gait). shape of the foot arch etc etc and this is only 100% successfully accomplished by visiting a professional figure skates fitter in person.

My feet measure 245 cm in the left foot, a little less in the right foot. My left foot is like a rabbit/cat foot, very thin and narrow, no difference of width between heel and toe box. My right foot is also thin and narrow, however the toe box is a little wider than the heel. My foot shape doesn't exactly match any of the known foot shapes (Egyptian, Greek, Roman), per analysis of my fitter however the shape they resemble most is the Egyptian shape. I wear Edeas size 255 in B width and the fitter molds my right skate to match the shape of my toe box. I can wear the left skate as it comes from the manufacturer without modifications.
Also a fitter is not only useful for fitting the shoes, but also fixing the blades to match your own alignment, and working with you to achieve the best positioning of the blades for you.

I think it would be a good idea to state which country you live at, since there are members here worldwide and maybe they know a fitter in your country that you are not aware of.

If this is absolutely impossible and you are not willing to travel to another country for fitting purposes, then there are fitters who offer virtual fittings over video calls (I go in person to my fitter, but I've heard here other members mentioning these virtual fittings to other people asking for help). Personally I don't think virtual fittings are as efficient as fittings in person, but indeed they are a much better option than trying to fit yourself with size charts and buying skates online without being fitted first.

Also, woudln't your coach be able to advice/recommend a fitter? Where do your coach/rink/club mates go to get fitted?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi I had a quick question regarding sizing of edea boots. I do not have access to any fitters in my country and hence when I went to buy new skates i ended up buying edea overtures in size 280, however now they are breaking down but i think i have gotten the wrong size as my ankle doesn't stay "locked in" place and moves a little in the boot aswell as some pain on the side of the foot (i have flat feet).
I measured my feet and my left foot is 259mm and my right is 263mm and so i am not sure if to buy edea 265mm or 270mm and if i should try a different width or stick to standard (C). Does anyone have any idea or suggestions?
Hi and welcome.

Where are you in this world? What is your foot shape?(Look that up), Arches: v.high/high/normal/low/flat? Height and weight and skill level? I can try to help you.

You may wrongly be in an Edea if it doesn't fit your foot shape. Also, you aren't going to get the traditional "ankle lock" in edea that you would another brand, b/c edea isn't made that way.

Good luck.

hope_skate

Rinkside
Country
Russia
With regards to pain on the side of the foot, it could also be attributed to supination/pronation. I got my skate tech to shift my blades and the pain really did go away. Additionally, try seeing the insole imprint to see if you are in a wrong size. I think the Edea VEIP booklet has a graphic on how it should fit. I also second @LolaSkatesInJapan recommendation on looking for recommendations at the rink you're training at/taking lessons. They must have gotten their skates somewhere. Would also be useful to figure out the skate tech since blades need to be sharpened and installed/adjusted (depending on your situation).