Jackson freestyle sizing | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Jackson freestyle sizing

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The Royal Pro doesn't wrap the ankle in the more traditional way of the RF3 Pro, but it isn't loose like Edea. I wore Royal Pros for a while and absolutely loved them. I really, really didn't like the baggy ankles on the Edeas I wore for a couple of weeks.

pwincessonice

Rinkside
Jackson Premiere Fusion 2800. You could also try the Supreme Pro 5320 if you don't mind the nude colour suede material of the boot.
I just got back from the fitter and tried a 5 W Premiere 2800. It fits like a glove on my right feet, but it is tight on my left feet. My left feet's toenails feels so tight and they got red after trying the boots on for at least 10 minutes. Is this something that can be fixed by baking the shoes or should I try something else?

There's no Royal Pro with my size at the moment, so unfortunately that's not an option for now.

silverlily1

On the Ice
And the open ankle difference can be felt when trying the boots or only when I have skated for a while?
They felt much more supportive to me in the ankle than a freestyle that was too wide for me. The Edea just felt loose in the ankle right from the start. They feel pretty much the same as before after two months of skating on them. Just try and you'll see. They're not the same at all.

And the open ankle difference can be felt when trying the boots or only when I have skated for a while?
I went from Jacksons (that weren't nearly stiff enough, but I skated in them long enough to get the idea) to Royal Pros, and the difference in ankle snugness was kind of noticeable right when I tried them on, but became more dramatic once I skated in them. I tie them in a specific way, outlined in this thread, to sort of reinforce the ankle a little and I don't mind it anymore; in fact the greater allowance for ankle bend helps me connect more directly to the ice. They also feel much lower-cut than Jacksons. I remember seeing you mention that the RF3 Pro was higher-cut than the Freestyle, which was surprising to me--the Jackson Fusion line felt very high-cut to me. I know you can't try them on right now, but if Royal Pro ever becomes available, I'd be interested to hear what you think.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I just got back from the fitter and tried a 5 W Premiere 2800. It fits like a glove on my right feet, but it is tight on my left feet. My left feet's toenails feels so tight and they got red after trying the boots on for at least 10 minutes. Is this something that can be fixed by baking the shoes or should I try something else?
<<Emphasis added.>> Have your fitter assess whether the left toebox can be expanded sufficiently to accommodate your left foot. If so, confirm that they know how to do this properly. Likely more than simple baking will be needed. You will first need an overall heat molding to shape the boot to your foot. Then you will likely need a second procedure to expand the toebox. Many techs will often just use a tool with the boot at room temperature to punch out the toebox. But the toebox will then tend to return to the original shape after a while.

Properly done, the tech heats the toebox locally with a hair dryer or heat gun while punching out the toebox (the punch tool can also be heated). After the boot cools, the thermoplastic layer in advanced Jackson boots (including Premiere) will hold the shape of the expanded toebox.

Last edited:

pwincessonice

Rinkside
I went from Jacksons (that weren't nearly stiff enough, but I skated in them long enough to get the idea) to Royal Pros, and the difference in ankle snugness was kind of noticeable right when I tried them on, but became more dramatic once I skated in them. I tie them in a specific way, outlined in this thread, to sort of reinforce the ankle a little and I don't mind it anymore; in fact the greater allowance for ankle bend helps me connect more directly to the ice. They also feel much lower-cut than Jacksons. I remember seeing you mention that the RF3 Pro was higher-cut than the Freestyle, which was surprising to me--the Jackson Fusion line felt very high-cut to me. I know you can't try them on right now, but if Royal Pro ever becomes available, I'd be interested to hear what you think.
Interesting. Now that you mentioned it, maybe I felt that the RF3 has a different cut from Jackson (Jackson's more of a V when Risport is more U), hence why I felt they are higher.

You happen to mention that they feel much lower-cut than Jackson; I'm having a hard time doing backward cross strokes/cross rolls right now (Always landing on toepicks, I'm scared) not sure if it is due to my boots being too large for me, my techniques, or because of the lower cut. Will a lower-cut boot affect any movement backward? (My backward crossovers are good, and I just landed Loops)

pwincessonice

Rinkside
<<Emphasis added.>> Have your fitter assess whether the left toebox can be expanded sufficiently to accommodate your left foot. If so, confirm that they know how to do this properly. Likely more than simple baking will be needed. You will first need an overall heat molding to shape the boot to your foot. Then you will likely need a second procedure to expand the toebox. Many techs will often just use a tool with the boot at room temperature to punch out the toebox. But the toebox will then tend to return to the original shape after a while.

Properly done, the tech heats the toebox locally with a hair dryer or heat gun while punching out the toebox (the punch tool can also be heated). After the boot cools, the thermoplastic layer in advanced Jackson boots (including Premiere) will hold the shape of the expanded toebox.
Unfortunately, even though the skate shop is listed as an official dealer on Jackson's website, they have very limited stocks and are not knowledgeable. When I first came in, they offered me to try on skates of the same size I'm wearing now without even trying to properly measure my feet. They just assume that size is what I'm comfortable with and offer a higher level boots. I did all the research by myself, tried looking for virtual boot fitting appointments, and even made calls directly to the States so I could talk and convince someone to agree to fit me virtually without making a purchase from them (with no good results, which is understandable).

Also, three different people here in my rink all said RF3 Pro is Royal Pro.

The skate shop (where I tried the boots) said that Royal Pro is the same as RF3, Risport only added a line on the design 🥲
My coach said they are all the same, just choose one.
My sharpener said that RF3 = Royal Pro, even when I specifically told him I wanted to try a Royal Pro, not an RF3 (and he brought an RF3 for me to try earlier today, great).

I don't think trusting them is a good idea. Now I haven't purchased any new skates and keep feeling my heels lifted every time I jump. I would rather have someone virtually fit me again before making a purchase. Might purchase from skatersedge.nz as they're closer but they did not reply to my messages 🙄

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Unfortunately, even though the skate shop is listed as an official dealer on Jackson's website, they have very limited stocks and are not knowledgeable. When I first came in, they offered me to try on skates of the same size I'm wearing now without even trying to properly measure my feet. They just assume that size is what I'm comfortable with and offer a higher level boots. I did all the research by myself, tried looking for virtual boot fitting appointments, and even made calls directly to the States so I could talk and convince someone to agree to fit me virtually without making a purchase from them (with no good results, which is understandable).

Also, three different people here all said RF3 Pro is Royal Pro.

The skate shop (where I tried the boots) said that Royal Pro is the same as RF3, Risport only added a line on the design 🥲
My sharpener said that RF3 = Royal Pro, even when I specifically told him I wanted to try a Royal Pro, not an RF3 (and he brought an RF3 for me to try earlier today, great).

I don't think trusting them is a good idea. Now I haven't purchased any new skates and keep feeling my heels lifted every time I jump. I would rather have someone virtually fit me again before making a purchase. Might purchase from skatersedge.nz as they're closer but they did not reply to my messages 🙄
3 different people?! I really hope you aren't putting me in that group b/c I never said they were the same thing. I know better. Royal Pro is like an Edea style, as where RF3 Pro is totally different and like a more traditional boot. Perhaps you misunderstood?

The biggest issue you are having is that someone "fit" you that doesn't know what they are doing and now you're suffering the consequences of that. It's very important to be fitted by a pro who knows how to properly trace your feet and measure and knows the boot brands quite well. You need to get out of the boots you are currently in and into one properly meant for your feet.

Mind you, I'm not trying to be rude or mean, just honest and straightforward.

I wish you luck.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Also, three different people here all said RF3 Pro is Royal Pro.

They're definitely not the same. Here's a link to a Risport technical catalogue that goes into some more detail about the differences between the RF and Royal lines. It's from 2018, so there have been some changes to the top-level models in both lines since then - but the technical information still applies.

Having been fitted and tried on both the RF3 and Royal Pro myself last month, I can also say from personal experience that there is a decent difference in the fit. The RF3 fit me pretty well in the heel, but the toe box was too tapered for me and aggravated my bunion considerably. The Royal also fit well in the heel, but also felt like a better match for my low arches, and had a rounder toe that was much more comfortable for me.

pwincessonice

Rinkside
3 different people?! I really hope you aren't putting me in that group b/c I never said they were the same thing. I know better. Royal Pro is like an Edea style, as where RF3 Pro is totally different and like a more traditional boot. Perhaps you misunderstood?

The biggest issue you are having is that someone "fit" you that doesn't know what they are doing and now you're suffering the consequences of that. It's very important to be fitted by a pro who knows how to properly trace your feet and measure and knows the boot brands quite well. You need to get out of the boots you are currently in and into one properly meant for your feet.

Mind you, I'm not trying to be rude or mean, just honest and straightforward.

I wish you luck.
My bad, when I said here I meant Taiwan, the place where I currently skates. This forum has been very helpful, and I truly thanked you all for your replies.

Yes, I need to find someone professional who is willing to fit me virtually ASAP. Going abroad is not an option right now and probably not likely anytime soon. I called so many skate shops and they aren’t willing to do virtual fittings as they believe coming in person would be better. I’ll keep searching and see what I can do. Sigh.

pwincessonice

Rinkside
They're definitely not the same. Here's a link to a Risport technical catalogue that goes into some more detail about the differences between the RF and Royal lines. It's from 2018, so there have been some changes to the top-level models in both lines since then - but the technical information still applies.

Having been fitted and tried on both the RF3 and Royal Pro myself last month, I can also say from personal experience that there is a decent difference in the fit. The RF3 fit me pretty well in the heel, but the toe box was too tapered for me and aggravated my bunion considerably. The Royal also fit well in the heel, but also felt like a better match for my low arches, and had a rounder toe that was much more comfortable for me.
I’ve seen this technical catalog posted by someone else, which is why I was so annoyed when people in my rink said that they are the same.

I think I can relate with you. RF3 fits very well in the heel, the boot itself is snug but the toe box is not as wide as my current Jackson. Could probably be too tapered like you said.

I’m gonna try and see whether I can land my hands on a Royal Pro. Thank you so much for sharing this with me!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My bad, when I said here I meant Taiwan, the place where I currently skates. This forum has been very helpful, and I truly thanked you all for your replies.

Yes, I need to find someone professional who is willing to fit me virtually ASAP. Going abroad is not an option right now and probably not likely anytime soon. I called so many skate shops and they aren’t willing to do virtual fittings as they believe coming in person would be better. I’ll keep searching and see what I can do. Sigh.
When I said a professional fitter is who you need to see ASAP I didn't mean virtual. It's blatantly clear you must see someone in person for fitting so they can properly measure you and do foot outlining, otherwise you may never have a boot that properly fits. I wish you luck!