Jackson freestyle sizing | Golden Skate

Jackson freestyle sizing

vsagisan

Spectator
Country
Indonesia
Hi! need an advice for my first pair of boots!
first of all I'd like to mention I'm from Indonesia there is no professional fitter anywhere and I cannot go to any country to get fitted, so I rely on skate shop buying the boots online.

my foot length is 247-248 mm, I just tried a used boots (jackson freestyle) size 8 it's a little roomy but I have a rather wide feet, I haven't tried it on ice, but I have experience with bigger boots on rental and it made my feet+legs really sore after, and the age of the boots, I probably need to change it earlier than buying new one.

I asked my skate shop and they said to down size it to size 7, I know the boots should fit to your feet but I'm scared it might pressure my thumb, but the age of the boots will be longer.

should I buy the used skates? or just buy the new one with the size down? I'm still contemplating as it's expensive and I don't know if the jackson sizing chart is accurate so I need to make sure I have the right one.

thank you in advance!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! need an advice for my first pair of boots!
first of all I'd like to mention I'm from Indonesia there is no professional fitter anywhere and I cannot go to any country to get fitted, so I rely on skate shop buying the boots online.

my foot length is 247-248 mm, I just tried a used boots (jackson freestyle) size 8 it's a little roomy but I have a rather wide feet, I haven't tried it on ice, but I have experience with bigger boots on rental and it made my feet+legs really sore after, and the age of the boots, I probably need to change it earlier than buying new one.

I asked my skate shop and they said to down size it to size 7, I know the boots should fit to your feet but I'm scared it might pressure my thumb, but the age of the boots will be longer.

should I buy the used skates? or just buy the new one with the size down? I'm still contemplating as it's expensive and I don't know if the jackson sizing chart is accurate so I need to make sure I have the right one.

thank you in advance!
Do NOT buy used skates! Especially if they are too big.

Please give us some info: height/weight/foot style (look this up), arches (high, low, regular), gender. Is your heel much more narrow than your toebox?

Then we can give advice on what boot and brand works for you.

Good luck.

vsagisan

Spectator
Country
Indonesia

Please give us some info: height/weight/foot style (look this up), arches (high, low, regular), gender. Is your heel much more narrow than your toebox?

Good luck.
my height is 157 cm, weight 65kg, foot style is greek foot(?), arches regular, female, and I'd say my heel is not that narrow than my toebox!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
yes I'm going with Jackson! my coach also recommend me that just confused with the sizing between 7 or 7.5
I had those in order of brand that would be best. You really need to get fit or you're forever going to have skate issues and possibly get injured. There ARE fitters there.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I’d very strongly recommend going with your true size, in a boot that is shaped right for your foot - whether that’s Risport, Jackson, or something else. Getting fitted is for sure the best way to make sure that’s what you get!

At the guidance of my fitter, I bought my current boots a half size up from my true size, to accommodate a pair of MK Pro blades I had just bought new for my old boots. I’ve been able to make it work - it’s been worth it to save $220 on blades! However, I’m at the point now where I have to replace them, even though they aren’t really broken down quite yet, because the padding inside is worn out, and I have to wear two layers of Bunga pads to keep my heels from slipping. Again, for my specific case it’s worked out ok - but I would absolutely *not* size up, even just a half size, if it’s at all avoidable, and without the guidance of a knowledgeable fitter.

pwincessonice

Rinkside

Good luck.
Would you recommend Jackson for Roman style foot, overpronate female 150/57 with low arch & flat feet? I tried RF3 but I did not like the fact that they are not as low-cut as Jackson. Besides that, the boots felt snug to wear. Considering between Risport and Jackson. Previous skates are Jackson Freestyles.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Would you recommend Jackson for Roman style foot, overpronate female 150/57 with low arch & flat feet? I tried RF3 but I did not like the fact that they are not as low-cut as Jackson. Besides that, the boots felt snug to wear. Considering between Risport and Jackson. Previous skates are Jackson Freestyles.

Did you have a chance to try on the Risport Royal Pro? It's cut lower than the RF3, and is a bit wider in the forefoot / toe box as well. You might find it a better fit - I have similar feet to yours, and when I tried on both recently the Royal was a significantly better fit for me than the RF3.

pwincessonice

Rinkside
Did you have a chance to try on the Risport Royal Pro? It's cut lower than the RF3, and is a bit wider in the forefoot / toe box as well. You might find it a better fit - I have similar feet to yours, and when I tried on both recently the Royal was a significantly better fit for me than the RF3.
Unfortunately I think they only have Risport Royal Exclusive. They are not the same, right?

Have you ever tried Jackson? Any thoughts? I actually liked Jackson's material more than Risport, but RF3 feels very good for my feet. The issue is they are not low-cut and the front toe feels more close to the boot than the Jackson (I have just slightly a little bit more wiggle room when trying a 5 W Jackson)

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Unfortunately I think they only have Risport Royal Exclusive. They are not the same, right?

Have you ever tried Jackson? Any thoughts? I actually liked Jackson's material more than Risport, but RF3 feels very good for my feet. The issue is they are not low-cut and the front toe feels more close to the boot than the Jackson (I have just slightly a little bit more wiggle room when trying a 5 W Jackson)

Yup, that's right! The Exclusive is a different model in the Royal line, and it's much stiffer than the Pro (it's rated for triples/quads, so likely too stiff for you).

I'm in the Jackson Debut currently, in fact! I've had them for 5 years, and overall the fit and stiffness level have been a decent match for me. I think the biggest problem I've had with them is that I have wide forefeet and narrow heels, so the heel is a bit too wide and I need to wear Bunga pads to prevent heel slippage. They're also a bit on the heavy side - though I think that's in part because mine are the older model with the leather sole (as opposed to the lightweight Fusion sole).

pwincessonice

Rinkside
Yup, that's right! The Exclusive is a different model in the Royal line, and it's much stiffer than the Pro (it's rated for triples/quads, so likely too stiff for you).

I'm in the Jackson Debut currently, in fact! I've had them for 5 years, and overall the fit and stiffness level have been a decent match for me. I think the biggest problem I've had with them is that I have wide forefeet and narrow heels, so the heel is a bit too wide and I need to wear Bunga pads to prevent heel slippage. They're also a bit on the heavy side - though I think that's in part because mine are the older model with the leather sole (as opposed to the lightweight Fusion sole).
Jackson’s have very wide heels? I was wondering if there is a way to know whether you heels will lift when you try a brand new skates. They are so new you might not be able to know whether your heels will lift or not.

In my current 5 years old Freestyle, I feel my heels lifting but I’m gonna say it’s probably due to the worn out padding, but still unsure if it is because of the padding or I have a very narrow heel. Did not really like the idea of wearing bunga pads, I wouldn’t wear them if not needed at all

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, with your arches/feet flatness Jackson would work, but you really should try Risport Royal Pro before you decide. It's different than the RF3 Pro. Also, there was no reason at all they should have had you try on a Royal Prime--that is what I wore competing elite with triple triples lol.
You could also try Graf brand for your flat feet/arches.

Last edited:

pwincessonice

Rinkside
Yes, with your arches/feet flatness Jackson would work, but you really should try Risport Royal Pro before you decide. It's different than the RF3 Pro. Also, there was no reason at all they should have had you try on a Royal Prime--that is what I wore competing elite with triple triples lol.
The only reason they provide me with one is because I guess they only have Exclusive in the royal line. How do you think the Royal Pro will differ from other besides the lower cut? Maybe in terms of material (synthetic vs leather)? I saw a thread saying the Royal Pro has a loose ankle. I certainly wouldn’t want that as I’d go to Edea for looser ankle boots. I like the feeling of Jackson’s supportive ankle.

If I ended up having to choose between Premiere, Jackson 3300 or 2470 which one would be more suitable for me?

I was thinking maybe just get the 2470 for now and switch to Royal Pro later, if I ended up unable to try the Royal Pro now. Is the 2000 series too soft?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The only reason they provide me with one is because I guess they only have Exclusive in the royal line. How do you think the Royal Pro will differ from other besides the lower cut? Maybe in terms of material (synthetic vs leather)? I saw a thread saying the Royal Pro has a loose ankle. I certainly wouldn’t want that as I’d go to Edea for looser ankle boots. I like the feeling of Jackson’s supportive ankle.

If I ended up having to choose between Premiere, Jackson 3300 or 2470 which one would be more suitable for me?

I was thinking maybe just get the 2470 for now and switch to Royal Pro later, if I ended up unable to try the Royal Pro now. Is the 2000 series too soft?
You have posts everywhere and we can't keep them all straight.

Refresh me on what your skating level is? Height/weight/foot style(look this up). I already know you have flat foot.

pwincessonice

Rinkside
You have posts everywhere and we can't keep them all straight.

Refresh me on what your skating level is? Height/weight/foot style(look this up). I already know you have flat foot.
Working on Loops and backspins, 150cm / 57kg Roman feet, low to none existent arches. I also overpronate.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Working on Loops and backspins, 150cm / 57kg Roman feet, low to none existent arches. I also overpronate.
Jackson Premiere Fusion 2800. You could also try the Supreme Pro 5320 if you don't mind the nude colour suede material of the boot.

silverlily1

On the Ice

The Royal pro has a more open ankle than rf3, but it's not like an Edea.