Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya passes away at 20 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya passes away at 20

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
There's a link in this tweet
https://twitter.com/telegraph_sport/status/1296764151289667585
That goes to a version of the article that isn't behind a paywall.

Thank you so much for this link. It is rather eye opening and leaves me speechless. Like CaroLiza_fan I never realised cuts in funding would also lead to shortages of getting food and accommodation. I expected that part to be taken care of regardless, especially in the case of such a young person. This whole story makes me even sadder than I already was.

Scott512

Record Breaker
There's a link in this tweet
https://twitter.com/telegraph_sport/status/1296764151289667585
That goes to a version of the article that isn't behind a paywall.

Thank you for that article but I'm almost sorry I read it. While it was an incredible article it was incredibly horrible how Katia slipped through the cracks. That her young life was so filled with pain and anguish is very disturbing and upsetting.

Why in the hell would Sebastian Coe act like that and say something so stupid? Human trafficking is a huge problem all around the world that has been as far as I've been alive. Katia left her Homeland for a country and prosperity and had some success. I wish there were people that could have helped her better and of course at her age she did not know how to help herself. Her father's death was probably a lingering issue for her. I do wish her mother had moved to Australia with her. But there's no going back what's done is done. Tragic. I hope Katia can find the peace in death that she never had in life.

blue_ice

On the Ice
Shame on Australia for what they did. No one deserved that. Rest in peace poor Katia, they failed you.

readernick

Medalist
Shame on Australia for what they did. No one deserved that. Rest in peace poor Katia, they failed you.

Honestly, everyone failed her. Her coach in Russia gave her a gift of vodka at 15. Her coaches in Russia and Australia did not get her examined properly after she got concussions. (the effect of concussions on an individual's mental and physical health is only beginning to be understood) The early symptoms of epilepsy were ignored by those around her, as was her drinking problem. This is what can happen when results are viewed as the end all and be all for children in sport. We can't say for sure what led to her final decision, but it is clear she was failed by all adults in her life.